Super Contributor

DIY Wen: ReMoist and Oil Whipped Super Treatment

Hi everyone!

I've seen quite a few oil posts this week, one of which I started, as well as a few RM posts, given the recent TSV, so it seems like a perfect time for this post.

I have been using the RM overnight religiously once a week since I began my Wen journey 10 months ago, but have just recently started incorporating the oils in as an overnight treatment three times a week (I had previously been using them as a daily leave-in but found them too intensive for every day use).

I currently have TT and SHP oils in my stash, and a 2oz. BGT/POM RM hybrid that I mixed previously. For my mask, I used both the TT and SHP oils. I also added coconut oil into this mixture because my hair is addicted to it, and it is fantastic when mixed with TT oil.

Let me just say that as much as I love the benefits of the oils and RM, I'm a very impatient person so shelling out the time to do both treatments throughout the week is very tasking. I also can't ever use TT oil on its own because the smell makes me gag, so I have to mix it with something else to cut the fragrance.

I recently saw someone state that they save time by doing RM and oil treatments at the same time by doing the RM on their ends and the oil on their scalp, which got me thinking: "Why not just mix the two together and apply the hybrid mask everywhere?"

I've always been a fan of DIY beauty, so I don't know why it didn't occur to me until recently to mix the oil and RM together, especially considering the fact that the thick consistency of the RM acts as a perfect base for a DIY mask.

I also happen to have an empty 8oz. RM container from the special back in March, and I much prefer that packaging to the 4 or 2oz. sizes. This container is how I planned out my measurements, and yay me, the new treatment filled it to the brim!

Last night, I made a Wen "whipped super treatment," left it in overnight underneath saran wrap, and rinsed it out this morning with BGT. I applied it to 50% dry hair.

Why did I just now decide to do this?!

Normally when I use RM, I am looking for enhanced moisture and shine. I got that with this hybrid mask. Likewise, when I use the oils, I am looking for enhanced scalp health. I got that with this hybrid mask, too. The results I get with this are just as good, if not better, than when I used these two treatments separately.

Here are the steps to make a 4oz. Wen whipped super-treatment (obviously you're going to want to double the amounts listed in all steps to fill a larger container like I did):

1.) Grab a small mixing bowl

2.) Scoop out one tablespoon of the RM of your choosing (this should be about 1oz. worth)

3.) Add four droppers of oil; if you're going to use two different oils like I did, use two droppers of oil #1 and two droppers of oil #2

4.) Optional: Add at least 1oz. to 2.5oz of cold-pressed oil; coconut oil is best for hair that is thick, dry, or damaged, while grape seed oil would be your best bet if you have fine or thin hair as it is very light and forgiving

5.) Use either an old egg beater or a large wooden spoon to mix the concoction until it is whipped, thick, and fluffy (if you've ever used Philosophy's Whipped Body Creme, the consistency is almost identical to that); don't ever use it for food after finishing this {#emotions_dlg.lol}

6.) Apply the new mixture the same way you would apply the RM; if you don't use RM but you do use the oils, apply the new mixture sparingly because it is very oil intensive and you don't need much to see results

7.) Optional: Seal with a heat cap or saran wrap; if you choose not to seal, you can throw your hair up into a bun and sleep with a towel on your pillow so as to avoid making a mess

8.) Leave in overnight

9.) Rinse with your favorite CC - if you don't do the double cleanse normally, you probably will want to just to make sure there isn't any leftover mask in your hair

10.) Report back to the boards and share your results Smile

I absolutely love the results from this new treatment - it's like a one-stop shop for Wen benefits! Now I get to sleep in/go to bed earlier instead of throwing away time applying my oils and RM {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I hope this helps someone {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DIY Wen: ReMoist and Oil Whipped Super Treatment

Ry, thank you for another thorough review!!!

Question, how can you tell from one use that your scalp health improved?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the helpful, logical poet! I realized that your mixture is what I use to straighten my hair with blow dryer and flat iron. The proportions are different because I rely, ( always have) heavily on jojoba oil and Shea butter. You're right it's the oils that do the work. Did you know grape seed oil has been used for centuries ( built in resveratrol and antioxidants) to cleanse your skin? Makeup and all wipe right off, it has a slight astringent quality. Grape seed oil is why I wasn't impressed with TATCHA oil cleanser though I agree entirely with its use and effectiveness. Coconut oil is also an anti microbial and has been used in the South Pacific for eons as a beauty treatment for hair, scalp, skin.we've all heard the argan oil story ad infinitum but did you know you can buy a 4 oz bottle of filtered, deodorized argan oil fo $25.00 + on Amazon.com. You might like adding it to your wonderful mixture. And at that price you ( maybe I should say I) can afford to use it head to toe and I do , along with purified Shea butter. I love this kind of discussion. I always learn something . Oh yeah, I use the WEN balm to keep the edges tamed. I'll be glad when he comes out with a bamboo version. It's like Ojon oil, I know it is healthy, beneficial but the smell is overwhelming after a while. Thanks again.
Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Ry, thank you for another thorough review!!!

Question, how can you tell from one use that your scalp health improved?

My scalp is normally pretty healthy, but I get these weird little bump things on occasion and they usually clear up a few days after I do an oil treatment - they don't hurt or anything, but I can see they reduced significantly in size after I did this.

I think I get them because my hair doesn't grow in one direction, some pieces are really kinky and crazy, while others are wispy and wavy (you can imagine how confused my scalp gets, especially because my hair is fine haha).

Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 CoG said: Thanks for the helpful, logical poet! I realized that your mixture is what I use to straighten my hair with blow dryer and flat iron. The proportions are different because I rely, ( always have) heavily on jojoba oil and Shea butter. You're right it's the oils that do the work. Did you know grape seed oil has been used for centuries ( built in resveratrol and antioxidants) to cleanse your skin? Makeup and all wipe right off, it has a slight astringent quality. Grape seed oil is why I wasn't impressed with TATCHA oil cleanser though I agree entirely with its use and effectiveness. Coconut oil is also an anti microbial and has been used in the South Pacific for eons as a beauty treatment for hair, scalp, skin.we've all heard the argan oil story ad infinitum but did you know you can buy a 4 oz bottle of filtered, deodorized argan oil fo $25.00 + on Amazon.com. You might like adding it to your wonderful mixture. And at that price you ( maybe I should say I) can afford to use it head to toe and I do , along with purified Shea butter. I love this kind of discussion. I always learn something . Oh yeah, I use the WEN balm to keep the edges tamed. I'll be glad when he comes out with a bamboo version. It's like Ojon oil, I know it is healthy, beneficial but the smell is overwhelming after a while. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tips!

I was going to add jojoba oil, but then I realized there's quite a bit of it in the Wen oil so I didn't want to do a jojoba overhaul {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

What's your hair type? I hear great things about shea butter but I'm paranoid about it weighing down my hair.

Was the Ojon oil you tried the one with three layers? I actually really liked the smell of that one, but man was it too heavy for me!

Honored Contributor

On 9/20/2014 CoG said: Thanks for the helpful, logical poet! I realized that your mixture is what I use to straighten my hair with blow dryer and flat iron. The proportions are different because I rely, ( always have) heavily on jojoba oil and Shea butter. You're right it's the oils that do the work. Did you know grape seed oil has been used for centuries ( built in resveratrol and antioxidants) to cleanse your skin? Makeup and all wipe right off, it has a slight astringent quality. Grape seed oil is why I wasn't impressed with TATCHA oil cleanser though I agree entirely with its use and effectiveness. Coconut oil is also an anti microbial and has been used in the South Pacific for eons as a beauty treatment for hair, scalp, skin.we've all heard the argan oil story ad infinitum but did you know you can buy a 4 oz bottle of filtered, deodorized argan oil fo $25.00 + on Amazon.com. You might like adding it to your wonderful mixture. And at that price you ( maybe I should say I) can afford to use it head to toe and I do , along with purified Shea butter. I love this kind of discussion. I always learn something . Oh yeah, I use the WEN balm to keep the edges tamed. I'll be glad when he comes out with a bamboo version. It's like Ojon oil, I know it is healthy, beneficial but the smell is overwhelming after a while. Thanks again.

I don't understand this, as the Tatcha cleansing oil does NOT contain grapeseed oil. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

Question: how do you get the oil treatment on your scalp? Are you massaging this mixture on your scalp? What do you feel are the benefits of putting Remoist on your scalp?

It's just my personal opinion, but I don't feel it's "throwing away time" to apply oils to treat my scalp since that's the most important part of healthy hair.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/20/2014 okiebug said:

Question: how do you get the oil treatment on your scalp? Are you massaging this mixture on your scalp? What do you feel are the benefits of putting Remoist on your scalp?

It's just my personal opinion, but I don't feel it's "throwing away time" to apply oils to treat my scalp since that's the most important part of healthy hair.

same here….For me, wen oils are my scalp treatment and remoist is my hair treatment. I don't combine them…as I use the CC to cleanse the oil from my hair and remoist is applied to freshly cleansed hair

live....laugh....love
Super Contributor

Yes, I massage the oils onto my scalp.

I like to use ReMoist on my scalp because it has a tendency to get a little dry when I don't condition it heavily, particularly on the days when I don't cleanse. Also I like the tingle of the RM {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Obviously I know doing the oils is important myself, which is why I was doing them three times a week - I'm still impatient though, and since this new mixture is more oil-based than it is RM based, I feel comfortable replacing my oil routine with it and saving time.

My hair grows like a weed now anyways, so I could probably get away with doing this super treatment just once a week as opposed to the multiple treatments I had been doing with the RM and oil separately.

Different strokes for different folks Smile

Highlighted
Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 bruingirl said:

same here….For me, wen oils are my scalp treatment and remoist is my hair treatment. I don't combine them…as I use the CC to cleanse the oil from my hair and remoist is applied to freshly cleansed hair

Since I do both overnight, it makes more sense for me to do both together since both, when applied separately, are done at night on hair that was cleansed that morning (so it's not dirty like second day hair but not so clean that it's defeating the cleanse I just did) but I am preparing to sleep on.