Trusted Contributor

Re: DIY Haircuts due to No Trust-

On 12/19/2014 Funloving said:
On 12/19/2014 seaside shopper said:
On 12/19/2014 GoodStuff said:

OK, now. It's always disappointing to get a haircut that isn't what you wanted or expected......but I doubt any of us get through life without experiencing something similar once or twice at least. Being "depressed and devastated" and "never trusting anyone again" because a stylist you've been happy with for two years cut your hair two inches too short is a little dramatic, isn't it? My guess is that she misinterpreted (or perhaps <em>you</em> misinterpreted) the cut and style shown in the photo you gave her! She intended to give you a cut similar to the one in the pic, but the way she interpreted it isn't what you expected.

Hair <em>grows</em>. A cut that's a bit too short may be disappointing, but it's not the end of the world and will "fix itself" in a few weeks. I'm very doubtful that you'll be happy with the results if you try to cut your own hair. . You can try a new stylist if you like, but I think I'd give the old one another chance. She has done a good job for two years and will probably do so again. Next time, be very direct and clear about what you want, ask questions, and be sure you and the stylist are on the same wavelength before she starts. Go over the picture with her again and explain what you expect and what you didn't like about your cut. Clear, specific instructions are very important. Lesson learned.

Hope it grows out quickly.

On an average, hair grows at the rate of 6 inches per year. According to my basic calculations, if the OP's hair is 2 inches long at the crown, it will take her hair at least 6 months to grow to equal the length in the back of her head that she had prior to this cut. This is definitely not a few weeks--this is 24 weeks and 168 days that the OP will be unhappy with her hair! This is by no means a trivial matter.

So very true seaside! After chemo my hair grew painfully slow. Of course the hair on top & the sides are always shorter. It takes a very long time to grow hair to have it cut it the same length. The interesting part is mother nature gave me a really cute wash & wear hairstyle without the aid of a stylist. (nothing like a mullet {#emotions_dlg.laugh}) People would stop to ask me who cut my hair. It was a bit awkward to say chemo.

It's long now but I've often thought of taking in one of my pictures from my short hair days to get the very same cut.

Color is a different beast. As soon as it had a bit of length, I couldn't get to my regular colorist & stylist fast enough!

Just an interesting side note- I worked with a lady who shaved her head every 3-5 years. At the time I thought that was so odd. Her reasoning was it grew back healthier & much thicker. That's a bit extreme & something I'd never do- yet I'll never forget she had the kahunas to do that.

Enjoyed reading your post. Funloving!

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 katkitty said:
On 12/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think the moral of the story here is to tell them every time you visit EXACTLY what you want .... and how much ..... and watch them like a hawk! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I guess it's very possible that they forgot the specifics of the last haircut they gave you .... or are confusing your head with someone else's hair.

As one poster stated above: COMMUNICATE with your hair cutter .... or pay the price!

+

Many times, it's not the clients communication to/with the stylist that is the problem. It is the stylists inability to pay attention to what they are being told and wanting to do their own thing 'cause they think they know what's best. This is how you cut style A. It doesn't matter if the client says I don't want this or that. They still cut style A. 'I think you look better like this' and they don't even ask.

I perfectly described the cut I wanted. Stylist just didn't get it. She even told me "that's not a cut/style". Really? I made sure I brought in a pic, matter of fact 2 pics in of exactly what I described in the prior visit. Did she cut it? Not entirely correctly. Even with 2 pictures in front of her because in her mind,' that wasn't a real cut or style'. It wasn't a cookie cutter style she learned, cut A, cut B or cut C.

Somehow I think it's just laziness, especially with color services. I know now I have to, but I still think why, when a stylist, after long discussions with and past reminders from the client, supposedly has your specific brand and color mix written down, I still have to say something to them every visit or they do what they want? Why is that my job, to tell them every time as I would remind a child over and over again? Just what is their responsibility as professionals in this?

And yes, it seems that there are few really talented, professional stylists/colorists out there compared to the mediocre ones.

Didn't you say this stylist had taken care of your hair OK for two years? It's fine to be dissatisfied with a cut and to make sure the misunderstanding doesn't happen again.......but this was a one-time mix-up, and your comments here are demeaning and belittling. The fact that the stylist misinterpreted your picture and/or instructions doesn't make her "like a child" or "lazy" or "mediocre" or "unprofessional". Mistakes and miscommunications can happen. It's hair. It grows. And you seriously need to get a grip.

On second thought, I think you should cut your own hair. I'm sure the results will be divine. And you sound like a client any hairstylist can live without.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

None of your quoted words came from me , the Original Poster- I did not insult the stylist, I simply said I don't trust her or other stylists anymore and that is the truth- If you get a hair chopping you didn't want and didn't ask for, you might understand -

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/18/2014 katkitty said:

In my experience most hairdressers don't listen to the client. It's rare that they do. They believe that they are Picasso and want to create what THEY think looks best on you.

My experience is the exact opposite.

In all the time I've been going to hair stylists, I've had only one incident when the stylist didn't listen to me. And that was at a cheap walk-in place that I went to when I was out of town. Other than that, I find that they DO listen, and it's rare that they don't!

Every stylist I've ever gone to (and there have been many over the years), took the time to ask what I wanted and to listen to my response. And I always watch in the mirror, ask questions about what they're doing, etc, and they fine-tune as they go. ("How's that? Short enough? Or should I take off a little more?") I've never met a stylist who doesn't want to satisfy their clients. Repeat business is what keeps them going.

I've had stylists suggest a new look for me, but not one of them has ever gone ahead and done it without my okay. I always walk out of a salon with exactly what I requested, and I never thought that was unusual until I read this thread.

Kiss

Trusted Contributor

On 12/19/2014 seaside shopper said:

Didn't you say this stylist had taken care of your hair OK for two years? It's fine to be dissatisfied with a cut and to make sure the misunderstanding doesn't happen again.......but this was a one-time mix-up, and your comments here are demeaning and belittling. The fact that the stylist misinterpreted your picture and/or instructions doesn't make her "like a child" or "lazy" or "mediocre" or "unprofessional". Mistakes and miscommunications can happen. It's hair. It grows. And you seriously need to get a grip.

On second thought, I think you should cut your own hair. I'm sure the results will be divine. And you sound like a client any hairstylist can live without.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Such hateful comments! Are you a beautician??

I am not a beautician. And my comments aren't nearly as unpleasant as calling a hairstylist lazy, childish, unprofessional, etc. and saying you can never trust anyone again because after two years of service the stylist gave one haircut that didn't make the grade for OP! I've been in shops when hard-working stylists doing their best have been assailed and insulted by unpleasant customers. Bad behavior is far worse than a bad haircut.

There's an old saying that "You can tell a person's true character by the way they treat people in service roles", and I've found it to be true.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Knitgirly said:
On 12/19/2014 katkitty said:
On 12/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think the moral of the story here is to tell them every time you visit EXACTLY what you want .... and how much ..... and watch them like a hawk! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I guess it's very possible that they forgot the specifics of the last haircut they gave you .... or are confusing your head with someone else's hair.

As one poster stated above: COMMUNICATE with your hair cutter .... or pay the price!

+

Many times, it's not the clients communication to/with the stylist that is the problem. It is the stylists inability to pay attention to what they are being told and wanting to do their own thing 'cause they think they know what's best. This is how you cut style A. It doesn't matter if the client says I don't want this or that. They still cut style A. 'I think you look better like this' and they don't even ask.

I perfectly described the cut I wanted. Stylist just didn't get it. She even told me "that's not a cut/style". Really? I made sure I brought in a pic, matter of fact 2 pics in of exactly what I described in the prior visit. Did she cut it? Not entirely correctly. Even with 2 pictures in front of her because in her mind,' that wasn't a real cut or style'. It wasn't a cookie cutter style she learned, cut A, cut B or cut C.

Somehow I think it's just laziness, especially with color services. I know now I have to, but I still think why, when a stylist, after long discussions with and past reminders from the client, supposedly has your specific brand and color mix written down, I still have to say something to them every visit or they do what they want? Why is that my job, to tell them every time as I would remind a child over and over again? Just what is their responsibility as professionals in this?

And yes, it seems that there are few really talented, professional stylists/colorists out there compared to the mediocre ones.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

None of your quoted words came from me , the Original Poster- I did not insult the stylist, I simply said I don't trust her or other stylists anymore and that is the truth- If you get a hair chopping you didn't want and didn't ask for, you might understand -

And I do apologize. It was another poster who used the insulting language, and I wrongly attributed the comments to you. Sometimes it's difficult to follow when there are all these quotes and "copies" in threads.

I do think permanent lack of trust is a bit of an overreaction if the stylist had given you years of good service before. I feel sure she didn't mean to give you a cut you didn't want. I hope you'll work on better communication and give her another chance.

Esteemed Contributor

I,don't think,I,have a single friend who,has not had at least one horrible haircut in their lives. I can think,of at least two that I,have lived through. As I said before to decide to cut your own hair and never trust a stylist again is a pretty big leap.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/19/2014 KathyPet said: I,don't think,I,have a single friend who,has not had at least one horrible haircut in their lives. I can think,of at least two that I,have lived through. As I said before to decide to cut your own hair and never trust a stylist again is a pretty big leap.

I agree! Assuming that the majority of stylists cannot be trusted is a huge leap, IMO.

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

Where I live I do not have to settle for mediocre hair stylist. there are plenty of higher end salons where some of the stylists have earned the title of Master stylist because they have taken a series of continuing education credit and attended clinics and seminars to increase their status in their profession. If someone is unhappy there is no reason to settle for a poorly trained or uninterested stylist. you just may need to search a little harder.
Super Contributor

On 12/17/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I can relate to the O/P. I have no trust in hairdressers. Most of all don't care what they're doing.

I wonder sometimes if hair cutting is even taught in beauty school. Or, maybe there's not much time spent on cutting hair.

My main problem is hairdressers that talk continually while cutting my hair when they should shut up and pay attention to what they're doing. Remember, I'm paying for a hair cut, not to hear you talk.

I'm also finding it must be very difficult to cut hair the same on one side of the head as the other.

I'm paying a perfect price, with tip expected. I'm not getting a perfect haircut.

I wonder this, too. There's a salon on the next block. Before I even went there I heard my step-son mention that the lady could not cut hair evenly. One side is always longer than the other. One day I decided to try her since it's so close. And yep, it was not even. Also, she's a hair stylist (whatever you call them?) teacher at the college.

Respected Contributor

The Hair Cuttery I go to has lots of male customers and all the hairdressers are well-trained in cutting hair. They also have clients check out haircuts at intervals to make sure the cut is the way they want it.