Trusted Contributor

Re: DIY Haircuts due to No Trust-

OK, now. It's always disappointing to get a haircut that isn't what you wanted or expected......but I doubt any of us get through life without experiencing something similar once or twice at least. Being "depressed and devastated" and "never trusting anyone again" because a stylist you've been happy with for two years cut your hair two inches too short is a little dramatic, isn't it? My guess is that she misinterpreted (or perhaps you misinterpreted) the cut and style shown in the photo you gave her! She intended to give you a cut similar to the one in the pic, but the way she interpreted it isn't what you expected.

Hair grows. A cut that's a bit too short may be disappointing, but it's not the end of the world and will "fix itself" in a few weeks. I'm very doubtful that you'll be happy with the results if you try to cut your own hair. . You can try a new stylist if you like, but I think I'd give the old one another chance. She has done a good job for two years and will probably do so again. Next time, be very direct and clear about what you want, ask questions, and be sure you and the stylist are on the same wavelength before she starts. Go over the picture with her again and explain what you expect and what you didn't like about your cut. Clear, specific instructions are very important. Lesson learned.

Hope it grows out quickly.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/19/2014 katkitty said:
On 12/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think the moral of the story here is to tell them every time you visit EXACTLY what you want .... and how much ..... and watch them like a hawk! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I guess it's very possible that they forgot the specifics of the last haircut they gave you .... or are confusing your head with someone else's hair.

As one poster stated above: COMMUNICATE with your hair cutter .... or pay the price!

+

Many times, it's not the clients communication to/with the stylist that is the problem. It is the stylists inability to pay attention to what they are being told and wanting to do their own thing 'cause they think they know what's best. This is how you cut style A. It doesn't matter if the client says I don't want this or that. They still cut style A. 'I think you look better like this' and they don't even ask.

I perfectly described the cut I wanted. Stylist just didn't get it. She even told me "that's not a cut/style". Really? I made sure I brought in a pic, matter of fact 2 pics in of exactly what I described in the prior visit. Did she cut it? Not entirely correctly. Even with 2 pictures in front of her because in her mind,' that wasn't a real cut or style'. It wasn't a cookie cutter style she learned, cut A, cut B or cut C.

Somehow I think it's just laziness, especially with color services. I know now I have to, but I still think why, when a stylist, after long discussions with and past reminders from the client, supposedly has your specific brand and color mix written down, I still have to say something to them every visit or they do what they want? Why is that my job, to tell them every time as I would remind a child over and over again? Just what is their responsibility as professionals in this?

And yes, it seems that there are few really talented, professional stylists/colorists out there compared to the mediocre ones.

Didn't you say this stylist had taken care of your hair OK for two years? It's fine to be dissatisfied with a cut and to make sure the misunderstanding doesn't happen again.......but this was a one-time mix-up, and your comments here are demeaning and belittling. The fact that the stylist misinterpreted your picture and/or instructions doesn't make her "like a child" or "lazy" or "mediocre" or "unprofessional". Mistakes and miscommunications can happen. It's hair. It grows. And you seriously need to get a grip.

On second thought, I think you should cut your own hair. I'm sure the results will be divine. And you sound like a client any hairstylist can live without.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Respected Contributor

I obviously replied before I read the entire thread. I'm really surprised she wouldn't at least fix the color for you! You need to be going to a real pro. One who keeps all your info on file.

Perhaps the lack of caring, laziness, etc. happens more in walk-in shops- You know.. the hair cut chains. They're likely being paid a salary vs by cut, and tips are all that make a difference in their pay.

In an individual shop I have to believe there are plenty out there who DO care. They listen closely to their client. They sincerely want to keep you happy so you'll continue to be a regular customer. This is a business with plenty of turn-over in clients/customers. I can't imagine any good stylist sabotaging their own income that way.

I still can't believe she wouldn't invite you in to fix the color. I certainly wouldn't go back under those circumstances.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/19/2014 GoodStuff said:

OK, now. It's always disappointing to get a haircut that isn't what you wanted or expected......but I doubt any of us get through life without experiencing something similar once or twice at least. Being "depressed and devastated" and "never trusting anyone again" because a stylist you've been happy with for two years cut your hair two inches too short is a little dramatic, isn't it? My guess is that she misinterpreted (or perhaps you misinterpreted) the cut and style shown in the photo you gave her! She intended to give you a cut similar to the one in the pic, but the way she interpreted it isn't what you expected.

Hair grows. A cut that's a bit too short may be disappointing, but it's not the end of the world and will "fix itself" in a few weeks. I'm very doubtful that you'll be happy with the results if you try to cut your own hair. . You can try a new stylist if you like, but I think I'd give the old one another chance. She has done a good job for two years and will probably do so again. Next time, be very direct and clear about what you want, ask questions, and be sure you and the stylist are on the same wavelength before she starts. Go over the picture with her again and explain what you expect and what you didn't like about your cut. Clear, specific instructions are very important. Lesson learned.

On an average, hair grows at the rate of 6 inches per year. According to my basic calculations, if the OP's hair is 2 inches long at the crown, it will take her hair at least 6 months to grow to equal the length in the back of her head that she had prior to this cut. This is definitely not a few weeks--this is 24 weeks and 168 days that the OP will be unhappy with her hair! This is by no means a trivial matter.

Trusted Contributor

Didn't you say this stylist had taken care of your hair OK for two years? It's fine to be dissatisfied with a cut and to make sure the misunderstanding doesn't happen again.......but this was a one-time mix-up, and your comments here are demeaning and belittling. The fact that the stylist misinterpreted your picture and/or instructions doesn't make her "like a child" or "lazy" or "mediocre" or "unprofessional". Mistakes and miscommunications can happen. It's hair. It grows. And you seriously need to get a grip.

On second thought, I think you should cut your own hair. I'm sure the results will be divine. And you sound like a client any hairstylist can live without.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Such hateful comments! Are you a beautician??

Respected Contributor

For those on a tight budget, I've seen really good cuts come from teaching salons. These are students who are fresh, not burned out on this business & extremely eager to please.

The junior students aren't allowed to cut until they have watched and completed a degree of testing. You have no real worry because the instructor always cross-checks all work and polishes up the final cut. (if needed)

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 seaside shopper said:

OK, now. It's always disappointing to get a haircut that isn't what you wanted or expected......but I doubt any of us get through life without experiencing something similar once or twice at least. Being "depressed and devastated" and "never trusting anyone again" because a stylist you've been happy with for two years cut your hair two inches too short is a little dramatic, isn't it? My guess is that she misinterpreted (or perhaps <em>you</em> misinterpreted) the cut and style shown in the photo you gave her! She intended to give you a cut similar to the one in the pic, but the way she interpreted it isn't what you expected.

Hair <em>grows</em>. A cut that's a bit too short may be disappointing, but it's not the end of the world and will "fix itself" in a few weeks. I'm very doubtful that you'll be happy with the results if you try to cut your own hair. . You can try a new stylist if you like, but I think I'd give the old one another chance. She has done a good job for two years and will probably do so again. Next time, be very direct and clear about what you want, ask questions, and be sure you and the stylist are on the same wavelength before she starts. Go over the picture with her again and explain what you expect and what you didn't like about your cut. Clear, specific instructions are very important. Lesson learned.

On an average, hair grows at the rate of 6 inches per year. According to my basic calculations, if the OP's hair is 2 inches long at the crown, it will take her hair at least 6 months to grow to equal the length in the back of her head that she had prior to this cut. This is definitely not a few weeks--this is 24 weeks and 168 days that the OP will be unhappy with her hair! This is by no means a trivial matter.

So very true seaside! After chemo my hair grew painfully slow. Of course the hair on top & the sides are always shorter. It takes a very long time to grow hair to have it cut it the same length. The interesting part is mother nature gave me a really cute wash & wear hairstyle without the aid of a stylist. (nothing like a mullet {#emotions_dlg.laugh}) People would stop to ask me who cut my hair. It was a bit awkward to say chemo.

It's long now but I've often thought of taking in one of my pictures from my short hair days to get the very same cut.

Color is a different beast. As soon as it had a bit of length, I couldn't get to my regular colorist & stylist fast enough!

Just an interesting side note- I worked with a lady who shaved her head every 3-5 years. At the time I thought that was so odd. Her reasoning was it grew back healthier & much thicker. That's a bit extreme & something I'd never do- yet I'll never forget she had the kahunas to do that.

Honored Contributor

The one saving grace of a bad haircut is that it will grow out. Cut it once yourself and you probably will be as devastated as you are right now. But, hey, you might love it, you only have a few more months of bad hair to lose.

Respected Contributor

If she's been your stylist for 2 years, you must have been happy with her before this incident. It sounds like you weren't specific about what you wanted and you assumed she would know. It's not a perfect world. That happened to me several years ago, I was growing my hair out and I only wanted the ends trimmed. I said something like "cut the ends, even it out" and I got quite the haircut...lol I can laugh now but I certainly wasn't laughing at the time. I was crying. Not much you can do about it now. If it's a flattering cut, all you can do is wait for it to grow out. But if she really butchered your hair, you should go to another stylist for help. You are upset but what's done is done. She can't go back in time and undo the haircut. You just have to accept it and make the best of it until it grows out. Sure you can change stylists but do you really want to go to a stylist that you know nothing about? As for cutting it yourself, I think that's your anger talking.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 katkitty said:
On 12/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think the moral of the story here is to tell them every time you visit EXACTLY what you want .... and how much ..... and watch them like a hawk! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I guess it's very possible that they forgot the specifics of the last haircut they gave you .... or are confusing your head with someone else's hair.

As one poster stated above: COMMUNICATE with your hair cutter .... or pay the price!

+

Many times, it's not the clients communication to/with the stylist that is the problem. It is the stylists inability to pay attention to what they are being told and wanting to do their own thing 'cause they think they know what's best. This is how you cut style A. It doesn't matter if the client says I don't want this or that. They still cut style A. 'I think you look better like this' and they don't even ask.

I perfectly described the cut I wanted. Stylist just didn't get it. She even told me "that's not a cut/style". Really? I made sure I brought in a pic, matter of fact 2 pics in of exactly what I described in the prior visit. Did she cut it? Not entirely correctly. Even with 2 pictures in front of her because in her mind,' that wasn't a real cut or style'. It wasn't a cookie cutter style she learned, cut A, cut B or cut C.

Somehow I think it's just laziness, especially with color services. I know now I have to, but I still think why, when a stylist, after long discussions with and past reminders from the client, supposedly has your specific brand and color mix written down, I still have to say something to them every visit or they do what they want? Why is that my job, to tell them every time as I would remind a child over and over again? Just what is their responsibility as professionals in this?

And yes, it seems that there are few really talented, professional stylists/colorists out there compared to the mediocre ones.

{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Actually goodstuff, NO I did not say any such thing. ("Didn't you say this stylist had taken care of your hair OK for two years?")

And yes, there are stylists that do not listen to their clients, and do as they please.

Is it so difficult to remember a client and what you do with their hair after repeated visits?

Yes, people make mistakes. That's not what I was referring to. And yes, do I have to say the same thing over and over as to a child even when their job is to write the particulars down and refer to them? That is LAZINESS. That is MEDIOCRE. That is not PROFESSIONAL.

Um...misinterpreted a PICTURE? 2 PICTURES? No miscommunication there- unless Stevie Wonder was doing hair that day.

And yes, by continual comments on this board about bad hair cuts & color, there are many more un professional bad stylists than there are great ones.

You are too sensitive to the issue. If you are in the business, I wonder which kind you are and why you intimate that it is usually the clients fault even with a picture. If you are in the business, you should have by now, seen many awful lazy stylists. They are not rare.