Regular Contributor

Re: DIY Haircuts due to No Trust-

On 12/17/2014 wmsbgshopper said: Why would you want to cut your own hair after one bad experience? Do you like this stylist? If so TELL HER HOW UNHAPPY YOU ARE! I just returned from my stylist today and we celebrated my 16 yr with her. No, I haven't been happy with every cut but it is a two-way communication for personal service like this. If you aren't comfortable telling someone what you want, TAKE A PICTURE of what you want. That settles it. In my opinion few people do a good job cutting their own hair and I enjoy the pampering every 6 wks!
Excellent advice. I know for a fact if I was your Barber/beautician I would definitely appreciate you comming in and telling me I cut wrong so I can work with you to remedy the situation.
Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 maggie568 said:
On 12/17/2014 wmsbgshopper said: Why would you want to cut your own hair after one bad experience? Do you like this stylist? If so TELL HER HOW UNHAPPY YOU ARE! I just returned from my stylist today and we celebrated my 16 yr with her. No, I haven't been happy with every cut but it is a two-way communication for personal service like this. If you aren't comfortable telling someone what you want, TAKE A PICTURE of what you want. That settles it. In my opinion few people do a good job cutting their own hair and I enjoy the pampering every 6 wks!
Excellent advice. I know for a fact if I was your Barber/beautician I would definitely appreciate you comming in and telling me I cut wrong so I can work with you to remedy the situation.

Of course I absolutely did contact her and tell her she cut off 2 inches too much and that I did NOT ask for that- She said, "there's' nothing more I can do for you at this point" (and its already wayyy too short, what...I'm gonna trust her now to cut it again)?

She could have offered to fix the color in the back (that was completely lopped off with the chopping) but she didn't and honestly, I am still fuming, and do not want to face her- An overall bad situation-

Respected Contributor

@Yesyesyes568 I wanted to read your story but I can't read it without paragraph breaks! Hard on the eyes. I wish you would edit it for us. It seems interesting! Can't get past the first sentence.

As to hair cutting and the "grandma haircut" (who said that?) I was in the grocery store yesterday and saw "The Cut"--shaved up the back, poof on top. Yeah. Man, I do NOT like that type of hair (at least on me.) I was on the phone yakking with a girlfriend and she had gotten me to go see her stylist, which I finally did. (Mine does great color, but her cuts were not good, my hair would flop over my eyes.) He spends time examining which eye is the "lazy" eye so you part on the correct side, and looks at your neck, short, long? Are you wearing the right kind of collar? He mostly does African American hair but he's been in the business almost fifty years and he can CUT ANY KIND OF hair (as well as manage his people, clean up the shop, decorate it and promote the business.) He's amazing. Yes, he does listen. And my haircut was so much better. He did it dry and it was outstanding--guy friends who you know, they never say anything, were making comments.

SO I must have had either a lousy cut before or this one was really good. In short, get a recommendation and then do a consultation. And I'd suggest that you watch the stylist or at least the hair falling on the cape. I hear people say "he cut five inches off during a trim" and I wonder...were they on their phones? If I saw a five inch swath hitting the cape, I'd be ALL over that.

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Knitgirly said:

Yes, she cut off 3 inches on the top and back, it's very short (but it is my normal length just around my face). I have no idea how she got the idea I wanted that (she claims I said I wanted her to cut that). But we never talked about it- I was in the chair and she said "it got really long on top", and I said "yeah". That was it... REALLY. Nothing more. I was growing it, and wanted it to stay long- She assumed, the 'yeah' meant cut it all off?

She has been cutting my hair a long time and never have I asked for it short. She put in highlights, then chopped off all the color (who would want that)? It was just plain dumb and so avoidable, if she had only checked first-

Now the back/ sides looks really stupid because it's super dark where she cut off all the color-

I just really think I don't want to give anyone control anymore- It's my hair and I don't trust them. They just do what they want or what they "think" I want and they don't care, they don't have to live with it-

I don't think cutting your own hair is a good idea, I understand that you are PO'd but hair grows. Let this grow back and spend some time trying to find a new stylist.

Super Contributor

I trim my own bangs on a weekly basis because they grow so fast but other than that I would never attempt to cut my own hair. The results would be scary.

Your hair will grow out in a few months. In the meantime, check with friends and try out a new stylist.

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 maggie568 said: OMG!"" I am a BARBER, Retired. I I am going to start by saying, I am shocked at some of a the statements that I read. For example that the hairdressers talk to much, or did they ever learn how to cut hair,or did they spend much time in school learning how to cut hair.I am imagine a lot of you had some really bad experiences with hairdressers, my father was a hairdresser, in other words he was a beautician, he also was a barber,so what I'm telling you is he carried both licenses. As for myself I only had excuse me I only have the one license for 45 years, It's still active. I suppose a lot of what I've read of your experiences are true, I'm not saying that they weren't, I imagine they were really bad experiences, but I'll tell you one thing I had my own barbershop in fact I had two. But when a customer sat in my chair, the difference between a customer sitting in the barber's chair he or she faced away from the mirror. But when you sit in a hair dressers or beauticians chair you are facing the mirror, so all of these complaints That I'm reading, are partly the customer or patrons fault. I do understand very much but there are hair dressers that are not very good out there. In fact the very few that I've been around don't talk to you when they're working on your hair.. I couldn't get them to talk to me. I wanted them to communicate with me about my hair, I was so disturbed and annoyed to say the least. My first Communication with the new customer was always, how would you like your haircut, let's do this together,so we can get your hair the way you like it. Communication, communication, communication. Without that you won't build a business. How in the world do you think I survived. I was and am and been divorced so therefore I had to make a living on haircuts alone, so you're talking to a person that lived on that and only that. Also I had to prove myself as a girl barber in this area which was really not acceptable that easily.now think about that, I learned by experience through time the art of using shears and clippers and different types of clippers and now the beauticians want to learn from the barbers how to use them because they don't know how. Well let me tell you something else in reference to that, that takes years and years to learn. Before I go I want to say that if he would've walked in to my shop you would've never let me repeat that never sat in my chair and got 3 inchesCut off your hair, no way and I say that emphatically. And I also want to apologize for the mistake that the beautician made after all their human too. I'm sure, in fact I know I've made my mistakes and I hope I was forgiven as well. Didn't you make mistakes where you worked? Do you know what my customers, I should say what man said in my shop when we would talk, they said jokingly don't worry about it hair grows back.........Women really get mad, and men just joke about it, I'm so glad my father showed me and directed me and guided meto go to the school then he went to and I became the first youngest girl barber in this area matter fact in this county. Oh by the way I almost forgot to mention I've been cutting my own hair for 45 years I've only been to beauticians A handful of times through the years and my experiences with them have been rather cold and distant and notgood at all. And I really don't know why, it's like they don't want to talk to you, it's funny like Sunshine Kate says the opposite that they talk too much, and the ones that I went to don't want to talk at all don't want to communicate which is really terrible I mean I try to tell him how I wanted it cut and how are they going to know what to do if they don't want to speak with me almost sounds rude. And then I remember the last time I was a terrible tipper. And I have to agree with sunshine Kate, The hairdresser acted like she didn't care, because let me tell you, I watched every move she made and her attitude was she acted like she didn't care. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO MY QVC FAMILY (I hope you someday find someone to treat you right and give you the best services for the decent people that you are) BLESSING
The best haircut I ever received was from a barber who cut my hair with precision. He was a retired fire fighter who cut hair. I have been to high end salons that cost a great deal but no one came close to the skill he had. I really think cutting hair is an art and few possess the ability to give a good haircut.
Honored Contributor

I think the moral of the story here is to tell them every time you visit EXACTLY what you want .... and how much ..... and watch them like a hawk!

I guess it's very possible that they forgot the specifics of the last haircut they gave you .... or are confusing your head with someone else's hair.

As one poster stated above: COMMUNICATE with your hair cutter .... or pay the price!

+

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think the moral of the story here is to tell them every time you visit EXACTLY what you want .... and how much ..... and watch them like a hawk! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I guess it's very possible that they forgot the specifics of the last haircut they gave you .... or are confusing your head with someone else's hair.

As one poster stated above: COMMUNICATE with your hair cutter .... or pay the price!

+

Many times, it's not the clients communication to/with the stylist that is the problem. It is the stylists inability to pay attention to what they are being told and wanting to do their own thing 'cause they think they know what's best. This is how you cut style A. It doesn't matter if the client says I don't want this or that. They still cut style A. 'I think you look better like this' and they don't even ask.

I perfectly described the cut I wanted. Stylist just didn't get it. She even told me "that's not a cut/style". Really? I made sure I brought in a pic, matter of fact 2 pics in of exactly what I described in the prior visit. Did she cut it? Not entirely correctly. Even with 2 pictures in front of her because in her mind,' that wasn't a real cut or style'. It wasn't a cookie cutter style she learned, cut A, cut B or cut C.

Somehow I think it's just laziness, especially with color services. I know now I have to, but I still think why, when a stylist, after long discussions with and past reminders from the client, supposedly has your specific brand and color mix written down, I still have to say something to them every visit or they do what they want? Why is that my job, to tell them every time as I would remind a child over and over again? Just what is their responsibility as professionals in this?

And yes, it seems that there are few really talented, professional stylists/colorists out there compared to the mediocre ones.

Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I think the moral of the story here is to tell them every time you visit EXACTLY what you want .... and how much ..... and watch them like a hawk!

+

No the lesson isn't that it's all the clients fault and we brought this on ourselves. I'm always specific and occasionally they just do whatever the heck they want to.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

There's no way I'd cut my own hair, and I've cut many friends & family's hair. It's so different when it's your own- especially when working with the back of your head.

While the guy I've been going to for 12 plus years does cut and color (low & highlights) I've fortunately never had a bad experience with cut.

A few times I wasn't as happy with the color as I should be. We pay plenty of money for these services. I just pick up the phone and let him know. He makes it perfect gratis, the way it should be. Unfortunately you don't have that option with a cut that's too short. I'd let her know you aren't satisfied though. I think constructive feedback is important in any business. That will keep her on her toes-- IF you decide to stay with her.