Super Contributor

I'm tight on money lately and I'd like to dye my hair at home and I'd like to get recommendations from you all as to which brand I should try? My hair is honey colored but there are too many grays getting into the mix. Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Super Contributor

I'm sure some will have great suggestions for box color, but I would suggest you go to Sally's and get a professional color and the appropriate developer. I've used professional Wella for years and it leaves my hair in better shape and lasts longer, for me. Also, get a shade that's 2 shades lighter than the color you want because it does go darker than it shows on the chart or box. When you get the pro color, you can mix 2 colors to get the right shade if you need.

Honored Contributor

I agree. Go to a beauty supply and pick up the color there. You will also need the developer or activator proprietary to the brand you select (they're not interchangeable unfortunately) but I have discovered you can color your hair numerous times for the same price you pay (sometimes less) then for a single box application. I've used both L'oreal and a brand called Yellow. Both good but I'm going darker than my natural color and I've discovered that it goes a bit red so a product called Unred was recommended. Haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Honored Contributor

I know a lot of people go to Sally Beauty from the posts I have read on the forums. I have been using John Frieda foam for a while. It's so easy to use. I do agree to go 2 shades lighter. I have been using dark cool pearl blonde & my hair is light brown not blonde. My gray is mainly at my temples. Good Luck.

Super Contributor
On 7/7/2014 Andreatoo said:

I agree. Go to a beauty supply and pick up the color there. You will also need the developer or activator proprietary to the brand you select (they're not interchangeable unfortunately) but I have discovered you can color your hair numerous times for the same price you pay (sometimes less) then for a single box application. I've used both L'oreal and a brand called Yellow. Both good but I'm going darker than my natural color and I've discovered that it goes a bit red so a product called Unred was recommended. Haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Unred works great - my hair goes gold and it works to take that out, too

Valued Contributor

I agree with most of the posters here, go to Sally's beauty supply and let the associates help you. In the long run, you will save the most money.

But if that is too intimidating to you, I have experimented with a lot of box colors and the one I like the most right now is Clariol Age-Defy. It is very different from most box colors as it has a pre-treatment before you use the color, outstanding professional grade plastic gloves, and the BEST after color conditioner you can get and use for a least a month! It is the BEST value on the box color market right now!

So you have many choices! Good luck!

Super Contributor

Just tell your stylist what you have posted here. She will tell you the shade or shades that would be best for you. Then go to Sally's & pick up what you need to do your own. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

I like Revlon's Colorsilk, and have been using it for years (for touch-ups, too). No ammonia, and it's cheap--especially when Wal-Mart offers "two-fers."

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

Thank you ladies...I always get good advice here!

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Honored Contributor
I use Natural Instincts most of the time. I'm too chicken to use permanent dye for fear of messing it up. Loreal and Garnier both make non-permanent hair coloring.