Contributor
On 7/7/2014 StarChild said:

I've been using Naturcolor from Whole Foods for a few years now and I love it. It's peroxide free so it doesn't smell and you can easily blend 2 colors together to get your perfect shade. I use it along with a Roots Only cap which I suggest you purchase no matter what brand you end up using. It has 10 prongs for easy application and helps make my hair look like it has subtle natural highlights.

A Roots only cap sounds interesting, how does that work and where do you get one from? Is it a particular make that you recommend? It sounds a bit like a swim cap with holes in that I had highlights done with in the 70's. I like the idea of highlights but don't want to go to hairdresser to have them done every few weeks and my roots grow out gray very quickly, seems like a couple or three weeks and they look bad.

I hate when I do my roots that it tells you to go over the whole head for the last 15/20 minutes or so as I feel that it is getting too much product every month. When I had roots done at the hairdresser (a long time ago) I am sure that she just used to do the roots only and not the whole head but maybe I am remembering it wrongly.

Contributor

Retired stylist hereSmiley Sad22+ yrs in the business)

My suggestion is Sallys.Try to get your formula or at least Level Number from your stylist.Bring that with you to Sallys when you go and ask for help choosing a brand.Their AgeBeautiful line is very good for gray coverage.REMEMBER,GOLD TONES COVER GREY BEST...ash over gray =more gray.Once you are happy with your formula,continue every 4-5 weeks with ROOT COVERAGE only.DO NOT comb thru your whole head every application.This is a mistake many "do it yourselfers" do.Please don't run it thru every application.You will eventually ruin your hair,especially if it's fine/thin.Good luck ! :-)

Super Contributor

After many, many years of DIY hair color (with a very occasional trip to the salon), I finally came across the best solution for myself. Maybe it'll help you and others as well. 8)

I have naturally medium brown hair with some gray, mostly around my entire hairline.

The three below are all "demi" or "semi" -permanent and ammonia-free, which is healthier for your hair. "Permanent" really isn't anyway, as you get about a 1/2" of new uncolored growth at the roots every month.

Although I get great coverage, for some people "semi" and "demi" (lasts longer than semi) color sometimes doesn't thoroughly mask the gray. But I just use the "Roux Tween Time" color stick (available on Amazon & Ebay, for starters) for those small touch-ups, if and when needed. I'd rather have my 51 year-old hair in better health.

*Clairol Nice 'N Easy Non-Permanent Hair Color

*Clairol Natural Instincts Ammonia-Free Hair Color

*Garnier HerbaShine Hair Color Creme

They're all "drugstore" brands, and available at most 'brick & mortar stores'. I buy them online, though, at Amazon, Ebay and other vendors. Just go to the brands' websites first, to see their color lineup and shades, then use Google to search for the color(s) you're interested in.

Good luck and HTH! Smile