Valued Contributor

Now that Josie is a mega corporation I take what she says with a grain of salt. Way too much hype, and the quality of her products at this point is questionable. You can go on Amazon and find reputable, organic argan oil from many vendors, from Dr. Mercola to European pharmacies- for one tenth the price!!!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Texasmouse 

It depends on what kind of sunscreen is used. It's different for mineral vs chemical.

@SilleeMee then I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time because this is the order I've been applying my products and I'm using an Asian sunscreen (Purito).

I must say, I've never heard that you have to apply a chemical sunscreen to bare skin. I've always heard that you wait until other products have been absorbed before doing so but not that you couldn't apply anything under your sunscreen. Who knew?

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@San Antonio Gal  I missed the call, but I don't find them necessary. The caller's opinion doesn't influence my purchase.

@Shanus It is so true for me too that the caller doesn't influence my purchase.  A few years ago, I would hear a call that would give me an idea for usage that I hadn't considered before. That was probably when more people called in to place an order, so there was more variety in the feedback.  Now everyone is just a mega-fan.  

Trusted Contributor

Read this on a blog from Lovely Skin dated July, 2020:

Sunscreen should always be the last step in your daytime skin care routine, after any other moisturizers. Whether they’re mineral or chemical, sunscreens provide optimal protection when they’ve created a barrier between your skin (and the rest of your skin care products) and the sun’s UV and infrared rays.

My dermatologist also agrees with this.  

Respected Contributor

Re: DISAGREE WITH JOSIE

[ Edited ]

I've always heard that oils are the last step.  I use a serum, eye cream and then mix my facial oil with my moisturizer to finish it off.

Side note --- I thought this thread was about me for a split second when I saw it.  Smiley Tongue  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Read this on a blog from Lovely Skin dated July, 2020:

Sunscreen should always be the last step in your daytime skin care routine, after any other moisturizers. Whether they’re mineral or chemical, sunscreens provide optimal protection when they’ve created a barrier between your skin (and the rest of your skin care products) and the sun’s UV and infrared rays.

My dermatologist also agrees with this.  

There are different schools of thought about how to apply chemical sunscreens. My derm says to apply chemical sunscreens directly on the skin so that it can sink into the skin where it offers optimum protection. If it is obstructed from absorbing into the skin then the sunscreen does not offer the protection stated on the label and it could be something less. Chemical sunscreens work by absorbing into the skin and that is the reason why the instructions on the bottle tell you to wait 15 min after applying them prior to sun exposure....that amount of time will be lengthened  if you apply it on top of another product where it also can be chemically altered by those other products. Chemical sunscreens in general are unstable products and they are not very compatible with other products which can alter their UV protection.

Trusted Contributor

I was just reading an article this AM (forgive me, but I've forgotton on what website - InStyle, maybe) about sunscreens and the best ones to wear.  The consensus was to avoid chemical sunscreens precisely because they must go next to the skin to absorb and contain questionable ingredients.  The physical sunscreens act as a barrier and go on top.  

There were recommendations, but I've already forgotton what they are!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use rosehip seed oil which is actually not a super thin oil.  I put my gel moisturizer on first and then an hour + later, when I'm ready to get into bed, I put my rosehip seed oil on.  It has done wonderful things for my skin and my skin feels great. I used to apply it first, wait and then put my moisturizer on and didn't like it that way.   I do not use oils in the morning. 

No offense but I think I'll listen to the creator of the product.  Just sayin.

Esteemed Contributor

@KBEANS 

It is cold in Minneapolis--very hard on our skin. I have been doing the same as you--putting my oil on LAST whether in the evening or over my makeup in the am.

I love the dewey look it creates.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@KBEANS 

It is cold in Minneapolis--very hard on our skin. I have been doing the same as you--putting my oil on LAST whether in the evening or over my makeup in the am.

I love the dewey look it creates.

Doesn't putting oil on makeup remove the makeup @magicmoodz ?