Honored Contributor

During a TSV presentation, Josie said to put this special oil on your as the last step. Serums or oils go on first to sink into skin before other products. The most recommended order of application of skincare is beginning with the thinnest product first and working to a moisturizer and then maybe the sunscreen last. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this @Shanus as I was confused about this as well. I'd always been told serums first followed by moisturizer & JM is saying put this serum on top of moisturizer??  

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus, YOU are   100% right Shanus

Honored Contributor

I'm sure all you intelligent skincare using Ladies know why this is true, but just to be clear, a lightweight serum could never make its way through a layer of the even the lightest moisturizer much less sunscreen or whatever else is applied underneath. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus I know that's the general thinking - put on first -

but.........I've been using this liquid product since it first came out so have done both.

I have found, especially in the winter, around late afternoon I start to feel dry - and I have 2 humidifiers going 24/7.

I apply a few drops pressed on facial area as demo on JM's presentations.  Ahhh it's such a great refresher.  And I prefer not to apply oil prior to applying liquid foundation in the AM - doesn't blend as well.

So I say.........Josie is not wrong - it's however it woks for you. 

Respected Contributor

If you look at this product at Sephora and read how to use it also say to use as last step. There must be a reason.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  What specific product are you talking about?

Honored Contributor

Re: DISAGREE WITH JOSIE

[ Edited ]

If you are going to layer your products, then yes, thinnest to thickest in that order. However oil application really has no special place in line. Oils can be used to seal in other products, they can boost penetration of others or they can be mixed with serums or moisturisers to help those along, too. Oils have a multipurpose application, depending on what you need or want and there is no set order to apply them.

For sunscreen application...if you use a chemical (or organic) type of sunscreen product then most of those should be applied directly onto the skin as the directions say to do. Chemical sunscreens are treated like a skincare product where it needs to get absorbed into the skin for it to work properly. You can apply a vitamin C serum under a chemical sunscreen to enhance sun protection. But that is all you should wear under a chemical sunscreen.  For mineral (physical) type sunscreens, you can layer those on after your skincare products, including moisturizers. Mineral sunscreens work like an umbrella where it blocks or shades the UV light rather than absorbing it like a chemical sunscreen would do.

Honored Contributor

I get the best results putting oils on right before my primer.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus - I don't use this, but I use her milk. Usually it's the only product I use other than sunscreen. If I got this would I put it on after the milk? (I haven't been watching- Zoom training session all morning!) Smiley Happy