Trusted Contributor

DIM for Acne, the Closest Thing to a Solution--I Could Cry

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I want to share something with you that has been pretty miraculous for me. It's the supplement Diindolylmethane or DIM for short. I have been struggling with acne since October 2003! It's generally mild to moderate acne but it's constant and it bothered me (altough few people would have noticed it). In 2010 I found Paula's Choice BHA thanks to the wonderful ladies on this forum and have used it nonstop since. My acne improved but I still had to deal with zits every so often.

Enter DIM. I love supplements and decided to look into ones that are recommended for acne. I tried L-lysine and found that it had a positive effect but wanted something more. Acne.org is a great resource and I saw that the suppment DIM had great reviews (they review everything you can think of when it comes to helping acne) so I bought it back in September. Don't ask me exactly how it works--it's a compound found in cruciferous vegetables and helps regulate your hormones. I had beautiful skin during the months I took it in the Fall and even received a compliment from my mom who was awful to me about my skin.

I got overconfident and stopped taking DIM. What a mistake that was--my breakouts came back. I was trying to be economical and bought a cost-effective brand but saw little improvement. I decided it was time to fork over ~$50.00 for the Source Naturals 200 mg brand I originally used. There definetly was a purging phase that lasted about 5 weeks and made me doubt my new finding, but after that was over, my beautiful skin was back. Wow, I tell you this stuff WORKS!!! Any little bit of congestion in my pores goes away so quickly. It's like having the skin I had before I went through puberty. I love it so much it brings tears to my eyes.

Thank you for reading. I hope this helps you or someone you love.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: DIM for Acne, the Closest Thing to a Solution--I Could Cry

So helpful! Thank you, @JBKO. I take this too, but for a slightly different reason. (I take a zillion supplements and I don't care if anyone makes fun of it. But anyway...) I still suffer the occasional tiny whitehead, as a consequence of my rich moisturizers.

But what I don't get at all anymore since starting DIM are those painful hormonal chin zits I used to deal with on the regular. It is great!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Aldactone is what works for me. Have suffered acne my entire life. As a teen & later years suffered acne from hormones. I have tried it all. Have been a frequent patient of my derm. Aldactone is cheap, ($18 for 3mos supply) and is an old, old drug that has been well studied. Love!

Honored Contributor

I never had acne as a teenager but had some around my temple areas during menopause. I could not get rid of it no matter what I did. I started taking Andrew Lessman's Women's Wellness & it cleared up. He also has Ultimate Women's Wellness which I have now. I take either or they both work for me. It says to take 2 but I get by with 1 so that's what I take. So glad it cleared it up for me. I was so tired of struggling with it.

Glad you found something that works for you.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for this info. I don't think I can call my issue acne, but I get some bumps, not millia. I did get some millia but they have gone away with my Isomers and JM argan oil products.

I still get some bumps, notably on my cheeks and chin. They are small, don't produce anything with "picking", not very noticeable, but really bother me.

I will look into the DIM supplement.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I never had acne as a teenager but had some around my temple areas during menopause. I could not get rid of it no matter what I did. I started taking Andrew Lessman's Women's Wellness & it cleared up. He also has Ultimate Women's Wellness which I have now. I take either or they both work for me. It says to take 2 but I get by with 1 so that's what I take. So glad it cleared it up for me. I was so tired of struggling with it.

Glad you found something that works for you.

Oh those temple zits! What are those about?? About a year or two or so ago I kept getting them and they were so weird and deep. I even scarred from a few. The only thing that kept me from getting more scars was that I discovered the CosRx Pimple Master patches to absorb them. Never got those as a teen either! Haven't seen any crazy temple zits since the DIM now that I think about it. Wahoo!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone!

A friend in need is a friend indeed.