Honored Contributor

Re: DERM ADVICE: NO MAKEUP W/ MASKS

@Shanus wrote:

@Pook wrote:

If I had to wear a mask for any length of time my face would surely get irritated without the protection of makeup so no I definitely will wear full face makeup with a long lasting makeup spray that resists sweat all over!!  Sweat on unprotect sensitive facial skin  will cause more issues without makeup - unless maybe a cheap poor quality one. 

@Pook   May I ask if you workout, do any exercise, garden, walk your dog, etc. or any situation when you'll perspire? Do you wear full face makeup then? If so, pores not clogged? Even the most expensive makeup will go into pores when you sweat. Sealing it in with a long lasting spray, IMHO is a recipe for more issues than you're aware of.

I workout at least 2 hours daily with a 45 minute Zumba, walk my dog  several miles daily and always am fully made up.  I found out a long time ago that if I didn't have that protection for my face, it would be red, blotchy and itchy with breakouts.  I don't use heavy foundations but Perricone  original no foundation foundation or one of several tinted BB or CC creams.  Sweat on no makeup face - at least mine - means inflamed pores/skin -  thus the itchy blotchy burny skin.  I don't have issues with clogged pores but know what damage sweat getting into my pores does!

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest My dermatologist surgeon had me use Aquaphor healing ointment on my stitches and take an oral antibiotic, of course after surgery.  I had a large cyst under the skin that ruptured and formed a sinus tract cavity that ran under my skin that had to be surgically removed.  I too am a believer in Aquaphor after the surgery pn my leg.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been just wearing mascara and most days no makeup. However, I do need my skincare for the hydration that I need. I have had no irritation problems wearing a serum, moisturizer and SPF. Thank you @Shanus  I enjoyed reading all of the information. It is just starting to get warm in PA so I can't imagine what these masks will feel like in the hotter wearther. BTW wearing sunscreen for me is like brushing my teeth. Never without it,

Honored Contributor

I haven’t gone in any stores or anywhere with people so I haven’t worn a mask yet. I have two and will start using them on Tuesday when I go back to work. I will only need them going from my car to my office so I will wear makeup. I can shut the door of my office and not be in close contact with anyone all day. If I leave my office for a few minutes I can put the mask on.

But I don’t think many/any are wearing masks at work. Masks are not required in Florida and very few people in this area wear them. Not much social distancing going on either.

Honored Contributor

@Pook  - that's great that you get a 2 hour workout daily.  I wish I had your energy!   I'm envious.

Valued Contributor

My Derm office isn't even open in my state!  They cancelled my March appt and "hope" to open fo r"routine" visits mid June!    

Honored Contributor

No make- up for me, mask or not---most days anyway---however I still NEED MY BROWS--- a habit from my chemo days when I had no hair--looked like a ghost with 2 dark holes for eyes------put my brows on and rimmed my eyes with liner and looked 100% not sick--but I do all my normal skincare and wear spf everyday and a mask as needed---the tan line from the mask was well pointed out----laughed a little at that thought.

Super Contributor

Because I'm high risk, I don't leave my house without my N95 respirator. I have not worn makeup or moisturizer in 3 months, however I still use my Skinn Serums etc..

I also make sure to come home & immediatly take a shower if I've been with lots of people, so it would be silly to apply makeup or moisturizers etc. & then come home after a short time & wash it all off in the shower.

Stay safe & healthy everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  I'm so thankful for your post! It never occurred to me to just wear a tinted moisturizer. The use of Aquafor is a great suggestion, because I was having some irritation related to wearing my mask.👍👍

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden ...Please read this thread re: skincare wearing a mask. Thanks. Have a nice day.