Honored Contributor

DERM ADVICE: NO MAKEUP W/ MASKS

[ Edited ]

I was trying to find recommendations for what concealers/foundations would not cause issues under masks. I had a video conference w/ my derm and she said when wearing a mask any foundation, concealer, heavy moisturizer, etc. could cause clogged pores, irritations, rash, blackheads, redness, etc. Her advice is to stay w/ a tinted sunscreen only, change to a gentle cleanser and skip toners, scrubs and acids until we are no longer wearing masks. 

I saw a Dr. Dray video yesterday and her advice was the same except she suggested only cleansing your face at night with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil to remove the SPF and just splash w/ water in the morning...no cleanser.

The days that I'm out running a few errands, I do notice that the sweat accumulates under the mask and rubs along  my nose and jaw area. Now that NC is in Phase 2, I may be wearing the mask longer as I'm out and I agree that foundations, my usual tinted moisturizer, Vit. C serum and/or acid pads could be a problem. I do have a tinted sunscreen and that's what I'll be wearing under my mask w/o any concealers. I may do brows and mascara, but that's it. I'll save moisturizers for at night or when home.

My derm suggested using Aquafor along the outer inside rim of the mask if any irritation developes there. I assume being in the mall, seeing the grandchildren could mean keeping the mask on for many more hours at a time than just running into to get groceries or medications. 

Good advice to follow to keep our skin in good shape. 
***Check Dr. Dray's mask suggestions on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

Re: DERM ADVICE: NO MAKEUP W/ MASKS

Aquaphor, is good for dry skin.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Didn't need a doctor to tell me this.

I do the usual pre-makeup routine, just eliminate the foundation step

But I don't wear a lot of makeup on a good day

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Didn't need a doctor to tell me this.

I do the usual pre-makeup routine, just eliminate the foundation step

But I don't wear a lot of makeup on a good day

@software   I'm taking my derm's advice to skip the skincare except spf on days I'll be out wearing a mask. Dr. Dray explained the importance of spf since having a tan line on your face between mask and rest of face would be harmful and difficult to cover. Of course, everyone has free choice. I've spent many years achieving good skin and will follow my derm's advice since it isn't permanent. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Aquaphor, is good for dry skin.

@goldensrbest   ...or provide "slip & barrier" between mask edges and face. In my case, behind my ears, I have glass's stems, my hearing aids and the elastic from the mask. I've been putting Aquafor behind my ears to cut down on the friction. 

Trusted Contributor

I also did not plan to wear makeup with my mask, just thought it would get them dirty and who would see your makeup.  My plan is to focus on my eyebrows, mascara and eyeliner.  Possibly revisit eye shadow. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

I told my daughter a couple days ago that people wearing a mask outside for any amount of time without a sunscreen will have a really weird tan line on their face. 😳.  I wear a sunscreen under my mask but not my normal tinted sunscreen since the color rubs off on the inside of my mask and it is hard to get off when washed. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

Thanks so much . i have been following Dr Dray for about a year . I actually found out about her channel here .I will be 57 soon but still have oily acne prone skin  She stresses about keeping it simple and it really has helped my skin . Appreciate it @Shanus because you see so many videos about people doing eleborate eye makeup and doing at home spa treatments might be best to save till we are mask free . Thanks again for all your great tips and information . Have a great day!

Honored Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@Shanus 

Thanks so much . i have been following Dr Dray for about a year . I actually found out about her channel here .I will be 57 soon but still have oily acne prone skin  She stresses about keeping it simple and it really has helped my skin . Appreciate it @Shanus because you see so many videos about people doing eleborate eye makeup and doing at home spa treatments might be best to save till we are mask free . Thanks again for all your great tips and information . Have a great day!

@marmarbrooklyn   You're so welcome. I'm happy to share my research and knowledge whenever helpful. In this case, Dr. Dray is spot on. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itsmagic wrote:

I told my daughter a couple days ago that people wearing a mask outside for any amount of time without a sunscreen will have a really weird tan line on their face. 😳.  I wear a sunscreen under my mask but not my normal tinted sunscreen since the color rubs off on the inside of my mask and it is hard to get off when washed. 

@itsmagic   No one sees the inside of my mask if there is sunscreen residue. My tinted spf is a sweat proof, sport type sunscreen so there's much less transfer during sweating. That's the type I'd look for...on the "beach aisle" not where the spf is located w/ skincare.