Trusted Contributor

Re: DECLUTTERED MAKEUP/SKINCARE

I don't keep makeup or skincare items that I don't love, I just throw them in the trash right away when I realize that I don't like them anymore. It is so much easier on the mind than to keep items that you know for a fact don't work or look good on you. 

Last year, before the price hike, I paid for a year's subscription to the Allure Beauty Box. What a waste, I don't recommend it. I only liked a few of the products. Most of them I gave away on FaceBook. 

I realized some time ago that once the money is spent you are not helping yourself by using products you hate just because you paid for them.

In two weeks I turn 56 when you are my age you really have to wear a lot less makeup. You have to pair down your makeup to just the essentials. Dark and/or bright makeup really is aging you just can't get away with it anymore. There is a particular vendor on QVC who is over 60 who wears her makeup very heavy and it absolutely ages her terribly. You can't hide wrinkles with makeup and your skin color gets lighter as you age and it can't handle too much pigment.

I do keep a stash of unused and brand new items in a drawer in my bathroom that I keep my extra lip glosses, mascaras, and any extra of my favorite, but I have to keep an eye on how much I add to the stash as it can easily get out of control.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I did this about about a year ago so it's not needed yet.  Everything I have is less than two years old and I still love it all.  I do however take longer to get ready because there is so much to choose from.  Kinda miss the days of one each so you knew what you were going to wear before you put it on.

Off to the city to meet with DH and a lawyer concerning the wreck he had in Sept.  He was rear-ended and the other side is being a real horse's puh-tootie Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

This is a crazy busy time with last minute shopping, cooking, preparations - no time for decluttering anything! 🙃 I think that's why Spring is a preferred time for cleaning and purging for most of us

With all of the holiday events and weddings, the makeup artists and consultants I know are screaming busy -much busier than last year. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

December 31, 2012, my last day of work, was the last time I had full makeup on my face.   

My makeup bag now holds a Clinique powder compact, one eyeshadow, one blush, one eyeliner, and two lipsticks.   I don't need to wear makeup to the grocery store or Dollar General at 8 a.m.

Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @Shanus and all the beauties!

I did a major clean up when the pandemic first started and wow!  Did it feel good... But I probably need to do another... You know what really gets piled up and for some reason I just can't seem to toss -- SAMPLES!  We all get them with purchases and it's all great but!!  For us glas that use what we like and have back ups in our stash-- when do I ever get to the samples!  UGH!!

But this post has inspired me!!  Before the end of the year... I'm purging again.  And I'm gonna be brutal! LOL.  Sure I am.  

I hate samples! Especially if I don't ask for them!

Hey, @justashopper ! If you'll chuck yours, I'll chuck mine!

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa 

It's a deal!!  I am totally doing it!!  

Honored Contributor

@Harpa  and others: You can take the makeup/skincare samples to a women's shelter. 

Honored Contributor

I commend you for doing that!  It takes time and guts!  LOL!  I have so much "stuff" and I --

(1) Don't want to invest the time to go through everything (2) Hate to part with things (3) Have a tendency to buy products on a whim and most things don't get used (4) Love the look of a lot of products but not the actual implementation (5) Feel like - no -- I can't get rid of that --- what if I need it?  

I have issues with makeup and skin care as you can tell. I'm always looking for a better cleanser, nicer skin moisturizer or foundation, prettier shade of lipstick or gloss, etc.  If I took the time to do a purge --- OMG --- I'd probably have like under 10 products in my bag!  That should be my NY's resolution but I won't make it because I always break NY's resolutions!  Cat Sad

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   It's so rewarding to look in your drawer or cabinet and know your skincare is what you use and has worked for you. I do have a back up, but tossed the mistakes and "could be better" products.

BTW, I don't feel badly tossing the makeup or skincare. The money has been spent/gone and can't get it back, so I just face the fact that I no longer need to keep the items. I'd rather have a makeup drawer with only the shadows, foundations, liners, powders I actually use.It's so fast getting ready not looking through a bunch of stuff to find what I'm looking for. 

Skincare: the next best or better or promises to lift/firm? I don't purchase them and am not tempted. 

I still have an issue w/ shadow palettes. I think seeing all the shades are like painting to me. I just purchased a new Colorpop one Cold Stone Fox...gorgeous cool shades (mattes and shimmers), but I have a rule (like in my closet), if a new item comes in, one must go out. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   I did the same thing the other night!  And it felt good!!!  I have a large, deep drawer for my cosmetics and a smaller drawer for my skincare.  Funny how fast makeup accumulates, huh??!!  Stuff that you think "I'll need this one day" but never do and you don't even remember you have it in the first place.  Blushes and lipsticks that were misses but not worth the effort to return.  I condensed my everyday items into a smaller little makeup pouch, the rest of the stuff I probably could just toss and wouldn't even miss any of it!  I felt so good afterward to see all that extra room in the drawer.  Yesterday, thought, on my mission to find three girlfriends something for the holidays, I ventured into the new Sephora nearby.  Did I buy anything for them??  NO!  But I did buy a few things for ME!!!!