Honored Contributor

DECLUTTERED MAKEUP/SKINCARE

[ Edited ]

Took the weekend to declutter my personal makeup and skincare. There were many products that did not make the cut.

I had to toss some lipsticks/glosses I had held on to that were favorites, but too light for my silver hair now and made me look washed out...same for a few blushes. 

My IT Shadow Palette (in the the pink suede case) got "the toss" (had it forever and just didn't reach for it. Other shadows that hit the trash were several older Bobbi Brown palettes that I had hit pan in my favorites and the rest were "Meh".

I was shocked how many eye liners and lip liners I had accumulated! Half of my quantity went out.

I had a huge box of makeup brushes that I had saved from Smashbox, Bare Minerals, etc. that went to the GDs.

It was a huge undertaking and my face was raw trying on products and washing them off before trying the next.

What products have you cleared out to make room for new or just realized you needed to simplify?

Respected Contributor

Re: DECLUTTERED MAKEUP/SKINCARE

I,m finding as I get older ... less and less of what I used to

use looks good ....and less is better I'm finding

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

I,m finding as I get older ... less and less of what I used to

use looks good ....and less is better I'm finding

@Big Joanie   I agree and placed all my every day, reached for...including brushes...in a small basket on top of my vanity. The rest of my makeup stayed in the drawers. So much faster getting ready in the morning. 

Respected Contributor

Last month I was forced to downsize my makeup collection because of a flood. Unfortunately for me; I had been storing them on the bottom of my closet

I can't begin to tell you how many unopened products I had to toss.

At least 3 unopened foundations, several unopened mascaras, numerous makeup brushes, sponges etc.

I was so disgusted, that I moved along to my regular makeup that I use in rotation and sifted through that and really discarded the old, ratty things I had. Lipsticks, blushes that were the wrong color including an IT ugly, pink blush that looks clownish on me. The Superhero mascara that smears terribly under my eyes.Two or three, seen better days Bare Minerals palettes that I have twins of at work.

I still have some unopened items like a Supersize Bye Bye Foundation, and a UD Naked Pallette, numerous Clinique black honey and Givenchy lipsticks.

I have not, and hope not, to be tempted to buy any other stock after this debacle.  (except for a new box of fake beauty blenders I picked up in Marshall's)

Respected Contributor

When we moved, I took the opportunity to clear out anything that was old, broken, unflattering or completely passe. What a difference. However, I still love my make-up, a few new things have begun to creep in now that you can go into stores and sample!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I want/need to do this.  I'm always buying lipsticks and there's always some pangs of guilt in pitching them for all the $$ wasted.  I really need the self discipline to stop buying and use what I have. I never make New Years resolutions but maybe that will be my commitment for 2022 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS   So sorry that you were flooded and lost so many products. It's a financial blow, but sometimes a blessing in disguise. As time passes, you may see that the products you have lefy are sufficient. I've stopped buying too many backups (except I have 3 Black Honeys, too). 

Honored Contributor

@Jacie   Discounts now are often quite tempting and an opportunity to replace or try new makeup.

Honored Contributor

Glad I'm not the "only one"......I have a file cabinet FULL of "iffy" makeup......and I've been thinking of cleaning it out....

I just hope that having more room......doesn't give me WIDE EYES whenever I hit the stores.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

I started paring down a few years ago . Working from home for over a year due to Covid in NYC, gave me a chance to really look at what I had and simplify even more . The biggest thing is finding what works be it colors or formulas . I also stop holding on to things . I try to purchase where I can return things in the event something doesn't work. I no longer hold on to that one lipstick or eyeshadow that only works with a particular shirt or for special occasions .  I like many of you find that at 58 less is more .