Honored Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

@Silver Fox1. Going from from any ash blonde or lighter brown shade would be a snap. Dark brown to white? Not so easy!! That's why she's removing my dark dye first & proceeding from there...coloring what's left  platinum w/ white highlights....she'll have to decide when she sees what she's working with w/o hair color on it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624. Lol, but since I have 2 girls of my own shouting "Grandma", I'm used to that.

I have heard that silver/white/grey hair means silver jewelry (yippp-eeee!) and gold jewelry no longer looks well. 

Any clothing colors I'll have to give up? Mostly wear grey, black, white and navy w/ red as my pop of color & of course loads of turquoise jewelry!!!! 👍🏻

Honored Contributor

@membersinceCVN. Awwwwh, you sound discouraged. Let's band together to support @membersinceCVN!!!! 

"Nothing worth having comes easily". Anon.

Honored Contributor

Good Morning @Sweet_Serenity. I know, right? For more than 40 yrs., I've been counting ahead and backwards by 3 wks. to be sure no grey roots for trips, parties, etc. Then the pesky hairs show up around my hairline and part in 2 wks. anyway!!! 😝 

Even using Joan River's Great Hair Day (great stuff, by the way), on my part....wind blows and the white hair is every where! 

Looking forward to no worries with hair. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic. Congrats on completing your transition to grey & not looking back!!!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Honored Contributor

Hi @Texasmouse.  Thank you for helping me feel I'm doing the right thing. 🌸

Honored Contributor

For all my silver haired sisters: What changes in makeup & clothing colors did you find you needed to change/adjust? Also did you all change to silver jewelry as well or a myth? 

My  girlfriend told me to be sure to keep my teeth whitened. I had veneers done 10 yrs. ago before son's wedding. They don't stain. Good thing, too. This process may call for lots of red wine. Lol.  

Honored Contributor

Just a thought: Why is it OK for men to go grey (and/or bald) and they're thought to look distinguished? We let our hair go naturally grey & face the fear of comments of looking older? 🤔

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Just a thought: Why is it OK for men to go grey (and/or bald) and they're thought to look distinguished? We let our hair go naturally grey & face the fear of comments of looking older? 🤔

who say's it is,  men don't like going bald or grey either, but it's not as accepted for guys to color their hair.

I think you are looking  to apply a double standard where there isn't one.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@jackthebear  My mom was from Italian heritage and she had olive complexion and brown eyes. She really was afraid to let her grey grow as she felt like you that her coloring was wrong for grey hair. However, she fell & broke her ankle , was non weight bearing for 4 months , and couldn't get out to the beauty shop to get it dyed, so it grew in , and as it turned out she loved it.Got a short haircut, to get rid of remaining color, and never looked back. As our hair goes grey, our complexion changes as well. 

Once I let my grey grow in at age 34 when people would see my Mom & I together they would comment that she should let her hair go grey as mine was so pretty, but she would just say I have my Dad's coloring and her's wouldn't look the same, which was true, I do have my Dad's coloring. My grey hair is the pure white that most natural redheads turn when they go grey, my Mom's was a much more steel grey that complimented her very well.

yeah mine is just an ugly grey and would not work with the color of my skin