Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

I stopped coloring my hair about four years ago and I have never looked back!  My hair is a pretty silvery color now.  It feels so good to be free.  I usually keep it chin length, but recently cut it short and spiky for the summer.  I really like it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I only had grey at my temples that started showing up within the last 3 or 4 years.  I usually don't bother with hair dye, but about twice a year I'd have dark color put in to color the grey, depending on my mood. 

At the end of April of this year, I had an extremely bad allergic reaction to a new hair dye my new stylist used.  The brand is called Provana.  Long story short, I ended up in the emergency room two days later!  My hair fell out, and my eyes and ears looked like I was at the tail end of a boxing career, I could barely see they were so huge & swollen.  Then there was the itching -- my entire body severely itched (toes, elbows, everywhere!). 

Two months, and couple of hundred dollars of meds later(paid by my stylist), I was fine again.  I had to have my hair cut to about an inch in length.  I had a relaxer in my hair for about 45 years.  Back in the day, a lot of African-American little girls' moms started early with the hair relaxer because styling was easier.  I kept using it all those years later.

But after that horrible experience, I now wear my natural hair -- I will never put a relaxer, perm, curling iron, flat iron, or any hair color in my hair.  It's been about two months since the "big chop."  It's healthy and growing so fast already!  

I think I have lovely, defined, natural curl's now.  Still grey at the temples and sides, but it's me and I kinda love it.

[Sorry this was so long, it's the first time I felt I could actually write about it.]

Thank you @Shanus.

I haven't had my hair relaxed for several years now and haven't used the flat iron since the spring. My hair is just about shoulder length and I wear it either in a ponytail or loose bun. I don't like my gray because it's only at my temples and not attractive.

I saw a a dermatologist this past fall who told me that I was allergic to hair dye and made me promise that I wouldn't dye my hair anymore. I've had thick hair all my life until recently and it has become thin on the top.

I used a henna rinse this past week and I will see how it goes, I'm so tempted to cut my hair but I'm afraid that I might not like it. 

@JaneMarple  I never had a problem with hair dyes before, but something in that brand just was not for me.   I don't know anything about henna, but hopefully it has components that are not at all like the dyes in which you are allergic.  When my hair fell out, it came out on the top of my head, and the sides. 

Don't cut your hair if it's not what you want.  It may grow back healthy and strong by eliminating the dyes.  I had no choice, it was all a part of the entire awful experience of my allergic reaction.  But when I got better I loved the ease and look of the new cut, and my curly ringlets from just a leave-in conditioner and air drying.  I never even knew my hair texture could do that!  Smiley Very Happy   I'm embracing this big change in my mid-fifties.

Honored Contributor

@Phillygurrl wrote:

I stopped coloring my hair about four years ago and I have never looked back!  My hair is a pretty silvery color now.  It feels so good to be free.  I usually keep it chin length, but recently cut it short and spiky for the summer.  I really like it.

@Phillygurrl

You are very lucky to have pretty silvery colored hair.

My natural color would be best described as (elderly) squirrel.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper have you noticed a difference in texture since going gray? I have and it's crazy curly that's why I'm reluctant to cut it. :womanlol:

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen some very attractive women let their hair go gray or white & they look fabulous!! I don't look my age . Dying my hair keeps me looking young.Unless something changes I won't ever consider going au natural. To date my hair is only grey at the temples & a few streaks here & there. 

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper have you noticed a difference in texture since going gray? I have and it's crazy curly that's why I'm reluctant to cut it. :womanlol:

@JaneMarple it may sound strange, but I'm not sure if the texture changed, or if it was always like this.  In 45 years I never let it get "natural" because I had that relaxer touched up like clockwork.  I have really gone cold turkey now.  My niece is tutoring me on great products to use!  You may be in for quite a surprise! Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

I just wanted to say that I think it is a vastly overstated misconception that women with gray hair look older.

I worked in the financial industry for years and I saw many clients and many prospective clients.  More importantly, I saw their identification with their ages clearly listed.

I can tell a woman's age within a year or two by looking at her, whether she colors her hair or not.

Many of the cues of age are unintentional.  They're generational, like a particular lip color a woman favors, or a particular style she sports.

The single biggest indicator of age is skin.  Tiny pools of age spots or a rougher texture or a slight crinkle around the eyes are much bigger indicators of age than hair color.

Lost muscle tone in the arms, a thinning through the legs, accompanied by a swelling in the abdomen are all indicators of a more mature woman.

My only point is that it is impossible to cheat your age.  Vanity lies when it tells us it is possible.

Enjoy your hair and the rest of your appearance in any way you like and don't worry about looking "youthful."  As the name implies, that particular word belongs to the young.

For the record, I love gray hair and colored hair.  I just think gray hair gets a bad rap.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Phantom41 wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

As long as we like our own hair who cares if it's natural or dyed?

I know right!  Seems like the natural people get so selfrighteous when they no longer color and the ones that still color think the natural people look old!  Well they will have to pry the hair color out of my cold dead hands because my hair is not a pretty grey.  It's what looks best on you and what makes you comfortable when you look in the mirror everyday.  I personally do not believe in "growing old gracefully."  If you have the desire and means to do something about it, why not! I like my chemically colored hair, my botox and my fillers and think I look pretty darn good for 64!  I may have earned the grey and wrinkles but personally don't want to look at them.  So color or don't color no one cares but you!

@Phantom41

Your post really made me laugh.  Good grooming is "maintenance", no matter how you word it, and women do more of it than men.  It is what it is.   

All things being equal, a woman with grey or white hair looks older than a woman with brown or blonde hair.  No getting around it ..... even using the word "natural".    

My mother was a fashion model before she married and had her family.  We were discussing makeup once and I remember her telling me that the male of the species always has the brighter plumage.    Compare the male and female adult peacocks, and it's pretty obvious.    

Fortunately, the human female can improve on what nature gave her .... unlike the drab gray peacock hen.

Image result for male and female peacocks pictures

Image result for female peacocks pictures

Esteemed Contributor

So many posts to this.  Not even sure if I might have answered before.  In any case I am silver totally.  My hair is full of nature curl and shine.  I wash, spray on hairspray and GO.  I even let it dry naturally. All sorts of compliments... strangers... almost embarrasing.  And I dare you to guess my age. LOL. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Phantom41 wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

As long as we like our own hair who cares if it's natural or dyed?

I know right!  Seems like the natural people get so selfrighteous when they no longer color and the ones that still color think the natural people look old!  Well they will have to pry the hair color out of my cold dead hands because my hair is not a pretty grey.  It's what looks best on you and what makes you comfortable when you look in the mirror everyday.  I personally do not believe in "growing old gracefully."  If you have the desire and means to do something about it, why not! I like my chemically colored hair, my botox and my fillers and think I look pretty darn good for 64!  I may have earned the grey and wrinkles but personally don't want to look at them.  So color or don't color no one cares but you!

@Phantom41

Your post really made me laugh.  Good grooming is "maintenance", no matter how you word it, and women do more of it than men.  It is what it is.   

All things being equal, a woman with grey or white hair looks older than a woman with brown or blonde hair.  No getting around it ..... even using the word "natural".    

My mother was a fashion model before she married and had her family.  We were discussing makeup once and I remember her telling me that the male of the species always has the brighter plumage.    Compare the male and female adult peacocks, and it's pretty obvious.    

Fortunately, the human female can improve on what nature gave her .... unlike the drab gray peacock hen.

Image result for male and female peacocks pictures

Image result for female peacocks pictures

@Tinkrbl44  You're wrong...just plain wrong!!! Women who have naturally white/grey/silver hair do NOT look older. I've seen plenty of women my age w/ dyed brown hair who look 10 years older than me! Why? Bad habits of skincare and being in the sun, old fashioned makeup techniques or no effort to apply makeup at all and unflattering hair styles that are not current. Mostly it's attitude. There are young 69 yr. olds and really old women of the same age who complain of aches, pains, boredom, etc. Keeping busy, eating well, having a healthy lifestyle and generally keeping yourself in good shape keep you looking  younger....Your hair color does not enter into the equation!!! Why do you insist that grey = old? Don't think this is the first time.