Valued Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

Well - the grey patch at the top is at my part.. so I do a touchup on top.   Otherwise, the only reason I color is to warm up the brown.   In my 40's - when I used to get highlights, my colorist always dyed my base before he added highlights because my base color is so dark.   

Honored Contributor

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting some of the comments here, but why is there so much angst about hair color?   Personally, I think the cut chosen is as important, but that's JMO.

Most women I know at least experiment with color .... highlights, changing the shade of blonde or brown, etc etc.    If you don't like it, go back and have your colorist do something else.     

Respected Contributor

Am I missing the AFTER picture?

On my computer the BEFORE is large and grainy so I cannot seeing much of the color and style.  Does it show the growing out roots?

Honored Contributor

@muttmom   The after pic is on another thread 

@muttmom wrote:

On my computer the BEFORE is large and grainy so I cannot seeing much of the color and style.  Does it show the growing out roots?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I started getting gray at 25 now I am 47 I am trying to stop and let it grow out but it is hard

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I started getting gray at 25 now I am 47 I am trying to stop and let it grow out but it is hard

Yep. At 25, I was already 75% white. The women in my family turn white early, so I knew what to expect. At almost 69 (next month), I figured 4 decards of hair dye was enough.

I'm chicken. No way could I have white stripes everywhere in my dark brown hair. Some friends w/ salt & pepper have done it, but mine was too high contrast. Removing all the dye to get every hair to white was my only choice.

Honored Contributor

IMG_2586.JPGAll hair is wrapped in foil to remove the dye. Sat like this forever!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Sorry. The stylist took the after pic when we were finished. She's obviously better w/ the phone camera than me. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for compliments and opinions. I never thought when this thread started that there'd be such a long discussion.

In the end, it's an individual choice to make. It's difficult to do it the "old fashioned" way & just let it grow out...2 friends are going through it now. They're at the 5 month mark w/ 2" or so of roots and ready to scream. So I support anyone going through it.

Again, I was able to choose my route because most of my roots were already white, hair was strong, thick, well conditioned (doubled up on deep conditioning the months prior) and once the dye was removed, I'd be all white...except for some pesky dark hairs that come in as regrowth. They'll be bleached/highlighted at my hair cut appointments.

Damage is minimal only because I wear my hair so short, grows quickly and is cut every 4 weeks.

Wish all well who are pondering if grey/white hair is for them. Big decision! Urge you to try on wig first (the color of your roots). You'll see how it looks w/ your coloring.

Those who say you'll dye until you die...your choice. This is just my decision and my choice.

Respected Contributor

I find useing temp color  that lasts 28 shampoos is  gret cover up till it grows  out