Trusted Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

As long as we like our own hair who cares if it's natural or dyed?

I know right!  Seems like the natural people get so selfrighteous when they no longer color and the ones that still color think the natural people look old!  Well they will have to pry the hair color out of my cold dead hands because my hair is not a pretty grey.  It's what looks best on you and what makes you comfortable when you look in the mirror everyday.  I personally do not believe in "growing old gracefully."  If you have the desire and means to do something about it, why not! I like my chemically colored hair, my botox and my fillers and think I look pretty darn good for 64!  I may have earned the grey and wrinkles but personally don't want to look at them.  So color or don't color no one cares but you!
Honored Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I know right!  Seems like the natural people get so selfrighteous when they no longer color and the ones that still color think the natural people look old!  Well they will have to pry the hair color out of my cold dead hands because my hair is not a pretty grey.  It's what looks best on you and what makes you comfortable when you look in the mirror everyday.  I personally do not believe in "growing old gracefully."  If you have the desire and means to do something about it, why not! I like my chemically colored hair, my botox and my fillers and think I look pretty darn good for 64!  I may have earned the grey and wrinkles but personally don't want to look at them.  So color or don't color no one cares but you!

@Phantom41 I cannot speak for everyone, but since I replied about my own no-dye experience, I can assure you that I did not get on anyone's self-righteous wagon!  Dye or no-dye, I believe all hair types and what we do to our hair is a beautiful personal decision for each woman.  Rock it and love it, one way or the other, it's all great.  Speaking about my own commitment to not dye my hair is by no means being self-righteous, or minimizing anyone's desire to indeed dye their hair.  I would never insinuate that one way is good or bad.

Trusted Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Phantom41 wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

@Phantom41 I cannot speak for everyone, but since I replied about my own no-dye experience, I can assure you that I did not get on anyone's self-righteous wagon!  Dye or no-dye, I believe all hair types and what we do to our hair is a beautiful personal decision for each woman.  Rock it and love it, one way or the other, it's all great.  Speaking about my own commitment to not dye my hair is by no means being self-righteous, or minimizing anyone's desire to indeed dye their hair.  I would never insinuate that one way is good or bad.

I didn't word my post the best but this seems to be such a polorazing topic!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just recently went from dying and highlighting my greying hair to just getting foiled highlightts.

I'm going to let the grey (salt and pepper)  hair come through with just getting it highlighted from now on.

I was so tired of dying my roots every 3 to 4 weeks. And also when greys would start showing in-between dying it and then having to put a colored powder on it before leaving the house and sometimes forgetting to in a rush and walking around with grey regrowth. I said enough of this nonsense!

Even though now I will just be getting highlights it is still very freeing. I hated having to put dye on my head for 30 to 40 minutes. It was a mess and stained things and it can not be good for your head with doing that every month. So I do feel free!

Honored Contributor

I am one week away from having the last of the not my color color cut off!

I can't wait.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I am one week away from having the last of the not my color color cut off!

I can't wait.

@CelticCrafter  Yay!!! You'll love the "new you"!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter

You go girl.  I stopped coloring many years ago and never looked back.  I love my hair silver and so does everyone else.  Once you go  gray you may want to consider the following cut/style.  I had my hair cut similar to this yesterday and have already gotten many compliments.  Best of all it's easy to style with a dryer, pik, hair putty and just a bit of spray to keep it in place.  "Finger styling" is the way my stylist does it, but I have to practice at that.  Smiley Happy  People call me the "Silver Fox."

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.rnAo9mP8XNHYGqGsW3UgMAEUEs&pid=15.1  Similar cut

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

I have tried Joan Rivers Great Hair Day powder and while it works well, I found it time consuming to apply. The Toppik works well for me but it's the spray in a can L'Oreal that can come off on my sunglasses -- especially if my hair isn't totally dry.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2

Yes, I've gone to Sally Beauty and bought some of their hair dye and separately a bottle of bleach before and I have the beauty tools to apply them but in the long run because I'm in Canada I didn't really see a cost savings as the hair color was expensive unless it was on sale. There isn't a Sally Beauty near by so I would be driving at least 10 miles or more round trip just to visit one. I wait until there's a sale of Nice n' Easy on sale to buy hair color as I mix 2 shades of medium brown. I even have used those hair color additives that are supposed to prolong your hair color and it didn't work very well for me.

My husband is lucky in that he has finer hair and because he wears his hair short, his hair color lasts a lot longer than mine does before roots show.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I only had grey at my temples that started showing up within the last 3 or 4 years.  I usually don't bother with hair dye, but about twice a year I'd have dark color put in to color the grey, depending on my mood. 

At the end of April of this year, I had an extremely bad allergic reaction to a new hair dye my new stylist used.  The brand is called Provana.  Long story short, I ended up in the emergency room two days later!  My hair fell out, and my eyes and ears looked like I was at the tail end of a boxing career, I could barely see they were so huge & swollen.  Then there was the itching -- my entire body severely itched (toes, elbows, everywhere!). 

Two months, and couple of hundred dollars of meds later(paid by my stylist), I was fine again.  I had to have my hair cut to about an inch in length.  I had a relaxer in my hair for about 45 years.  Back in the day, a lot of African-American little girls' moms started early with the hair relaxer because styling was easier.  I kept using it all those years later.

But after that horrible experience, I now wear my natural hair -- I will never put a relaxer, perm, curling iron, flat iron, or any hair color in my hair.  It's been about two months since the "big chop."  It's healthy and growing so fast already!  

I think I have lovely, defined, natural curl's now.  Still grey at the temples and sides, but it's me and I kinda love it.

[Sorry this was so long, it's the first time I felt I could actually write about it.]

Thank you @Shanus.

I haven't had my hair relaxed for several years now and haven't used the flat iron since the spring. My hair is just about shoulder length and I wear it either in a ponytail or loose bun. I don't like my gray because it's only at my temples and not attractive.

I saw a a dermatologist this past fall who told me that I was allergic to hair dye and made me promise that I wouldn't dye my hair anymore. I've had thick hair all my life until recently and it has become thin on the top.

I used a henna rinse this past week and I will see how it goes, I'm so tempted to cut my hair but I'm afraid that I might not like it. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson