Honored Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I only had grey at my temples that started showing up within the last 3 or 4 years.  I usually don't bother with hair dye, but about twice a year I'd have dark color put in to color the grey, depending on my mood. 

At the end of April of this year, I had an extremely bad allergic reaction to a new hair dye my new stylist used.  The brand is called Provana.  Long story short, I ended up in the emergency room two days later!  My hair fell out, and my eyes and ears looked like I was at the tail end of a boxing career, I could barely see they were so huge & swollen.  Then there was the itching -- my entire body severely itched (toes, elbows, everywhere!). 

Two months, and couple of hundred dollars of meds later(paid by my stylist), I was fine again.  I had to have my hair cut to about an inch in length.  I had a relaxer in my hair for about 45 years.  Back in the day, a lot of African-American little girls' moms started early with the hair relaxer because styling was easier.  I kept using it all those years later.

But after that horrible experience, I now wear my natural hair -- I will never put a relaxer, perm, curling iron, flat iron, or any hair color in my hair.  It's been about two months since the "big chop."  It's healthy and growing so fast already!  

I think I have lovely, defined, natural curl's now.  Still grey at the temples and sides, but it's me and I kinda love it.

[Sorry this was so long, it's the first time I felt I could actually write about it.]

Thank you @Shanus.

What a terrible experience.

I bet you look beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I only had grey at my temples that started showing up within the last 3 or 4 years.  I usually don't bother with hair dye, but about twice a year I'd have dark color put in to color the grey, depending on my mood. 

At the end of April of this year, I had an extremely bad allergic reaction to a new hair dye my new stylist used.  The brand is called Provana.  Long story short, I ended up in the emergency room two days later!  My hair fell out, and my eyes and ears looked like I was at the tail end of a boxing career, I could barely see they were so huge & swollen.  Then there was the itching -- my entire body severely itched (toes, elbows, everywhere!). 

Two months, and couple of hundred dollars of meds later(paid by my stylist), I was fine again.  I had to have my hair cut to about an inch in length.  I had a relaxer in my hair for about 45 years.  Back in the day, a lot of African-American little girls' moms started early with the hair relaxer because styling was easier.  I kept using it all those years later.

But after that horrible experience, I now wear my natural hair -- I will never put a relaxer, perm, curling iron, flat iron, or any hair color in my hair.  It's been about two months since the "big chop."  It's healthy and growing so fast already!  

I think I have lovely, defined, natural curl's now.  Still grey at the temples and sides, but it's me and I kinda love it.

[Sorry this was so long, it's the first time I felt I could actually write about it.]

Thank you @Shanusshanus

@Caaareful Shopper  I totally get it. I feel badly you went through so much pain and trauma. I also have very curly hair and before the "going grey thing" even entered my mind, about 5 yrs. ago, I also embraced my natural curls. I followed the lots of conditioning, no straightening w/ irons, etc. and allowing the curls to come back and form in their natural way. I gave up products with silicones, sulfate, alcohol, etc. Once my hair was very moisturized, curls appeared. 

I think learning to accept yourself is a wonderful way to be. Good for you. 😘

Honored Contributor

I mentioned to my husband that I am tired of coloring my hair and was thinking of letting it go natural. If looks could kill. LOL  He replied that my being blonde is my "signature" look and he wouldn't particularly think I would be comfortable with it. Quite clearly, it's him that would not be comfortable with it.

It's a difficult decision for me as I would be blonde with gray dispersed throughout. I would love to be all white ....almost like platinum. Oh well, I wish I could be as brave as the ladies on this forum....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I mentioned to my husband that I am tired of coloring my hair and was thinking of letting it go natural. If looks could kill. LOL  He replied that my being blonde is my "signature" look and he wouldn't particularly think I would be comfortable with it. Quite clearly, it's him that would not be comfortable with it.

It's a difficult decision for me as I would be blonde with gray dispersed throughout. I would love to be all white ....almost like platinum. Oh well, I wish I could be as brave as the ladies on this forum....

@Trinity11  Since my husband has had grey hair and balding for at least 10 yrs., he didn't have much say. I don't usually listen to his or others' opinions anyway.

You have to do what you feel is right for you. It is a commitment. 

Trusted Contributor

As long as we like our own hair who cares if it's natural or dyed?

Respected Contributor

I began growing grey at age 20 and now 10 years later I have a lot of grey. It's also coming in like the OP a very bright white color. My natural hair color is dark brown almost black and I have a very light complexion.

I made the decision long ago that around 50-55 or maybe earlier, I'm going all natural. I only began to dye my hair because of the grey. 

I made that decision before I was married. My husband doesn't care at all if I'm grey or not. His only preference is that I have short hair which he simply loves. Lucky for him I like it too. 

Good for you Shanus!! I can't wait to be free like you!

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

I can understand why people would want to ditch the dye -- I'm just not one of them that is going to stop. My hair is porous and grows fast and will not hold on to color at the roots very well no matter what brand of hair color I've used. I have long hair to the bra line and I would never have the patience to grow my hair out. I am doing root touch ups every week with a half a box of hair color.

I also can't stand to see a lot of visible roots so I use both Toppik (which also addresses thinning) and L'Oreal Root touch up spray in a can -- I have both the medium brown and the darker brown shades and both work well.

But it's a hassle as I have to be careful when I put my sunglasses on my head as sometimes the residue will rub off onto the nose piece and then you can guess what happens. I absentmindedly put the sunglasses back on my face and take them off and I've got a dark streak by my nose. So now I'm always cleaning the nosepiece area first before I put them on!

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I can understand why people would want to ditch the dye -- I'm just not one of them that is going to stop. My hair is porous and grows fast and will not hold on to color at the roots very well no matter what brand of hair color I've used. I have long hair to the bra line and I would never have the patience to grow my hair out. I am doing root touch ups every week with a half a box of hair color.

I also can't stand to see a lot of visible roots so I use both Toppik (which also addresses thinning) and L'Oreal Root touch up spray in a can -- I have both the medium brown and the darker brown shades and both work well.

But it's a hassle as I have to be careful when I put my sunglasses on my head as sometimes the residue will rub off onto the nose piece and then you can guess what happens. I absentmindedly put the sunglasses back on my face and take them off and I've got a dark streak by my nose. So now I'm always cleaning the nosepiece area first before I put them on!

@TY  Oh Sweetie, I feel your pain. What an ordeal to go through each week!! I understand you're just not ready to be free of the dye, but I hope I can help just a little. Ditch the Toppik. I've tried it. It's messy and got on my linens, under my nails if I had an itch and yes on my glasses, too. I used Joan River's Good Hair Day (avail. on QVC)....brushes on and stays until washed out w/ shampoo. I had dark brown hair and used the universal taupe shade which now I think is called blonde (yes, but dark enough! Don't want an inky brunette color at roots that looks artificial). If you try it, let me know what you think. 🌸

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I began growing grey at age 20 and now 10 years later I have a lot of grey. It's also coming in like the OP a very bright white color. My natural hair color is dark brown almost black and I have a very light complexion.

I made the decision long ago that around 50-55 or maybe earlier, I'm going all natural. I only began to dye my hair because of the grey. 

I made that decision before I was married. My husband doesn't care at all if I'm grey or not. His only preference is that I have short hair which he simply loves. Lucky for him I like it too. 

Good for you Shanus!! I can't wait to be free like you!

@NycVixen  Thanks. It is a very good feeling not to be tied to a box of hair color or see white roots a few days before vacation or having a nice dinner out or party w/ friends. My only saving grace was that my hair was short and curly...those curls could be maneuvered to cover any "parted" areas where a lot of white shined through & then sprayed w/ heavy lacquer hair spray. It got me through the day.

My hair was also very dark brown, roots sparkly white and I have a fair complexion, too. I tried highlights to blend in the roots, but they always turned out a light golden shade....too warm for my complexion and also too striped looking for my taste. 

Then came my hairdresser's solution to remove (w/ a gentle buffered bleach solution) all the accumulated dark dye, use a toner to match the match the white roots, cut my hair shorter (see after pic posted) and just be white all over. I love it. Never doubted the decision for a minute. BUT, it is a big decision and once you're there, no going back. 

As as far as my hubby goes, he met me 49 yrs. ago w/ dark, short curly hair & had more adjusting to do than me. He was up for it just to stop hearing me complain about going to the salon for color (the white was too plentiful & too resistant to color at home) & seeing roots again in less than 2 weeks. Every time we wanted to go away for a weekend, I'd have to check if I could get a Thursday appt. for root "touch up". The roots were running my life.

Good luck to you and whatever you decide to do.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@TY

When I colored my own hair, I did the roots every 2 weeks.  Initially I was using half a box of drugstore dye then discovered I could buy at Sally Beauty, the color and developer separately so I was able to mix as much or as little as I needed.

Now I have my roots done every 3 weeks professionally.  In between I use Color WOW.  Unlike a similar Joan River's product, it clings to the hair rather than coloring the scalp. I wear a side part so I do not want my scalp colored.