Honored Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

Batiste dry shampoo comes in different colors, (brown, blonde, black etc),  and works well on roots ... and it also absorbs oil at the roots!  

I think it would be great for women in that in between stage growing out their hair.

Image result for batiste dry shampoo colors

Honored Contributor

I think about letting the gray come out all the time, I'm just not there yet.  Also, I love my shoulder length curls and I don't want to cut it short while it grows out.  

Occasional Contributor

I did this about 10 years ago. In my early 70's now. I, too, had to have my hair colored every 3 weeks. Lots of time and money!  I found a product at Sally Beauty that helped to even the color while it was growing out. It's Wells Fanciful Rinse. It comes in all colors and washes out at the next washing. It was really helpful. I love my silver hair now. I get many compliments on it. Good luck!  

Super Contributor

I posted on this discussion before, but I just leaned something that might be helpful for those with grey hair that feels or looks dry, bad texture, thinning, etc. I got a product through my daughter who is a stylist, called COLOR TOUCH. It is a semi permanent no color color. You mix it with the same brand of developer, Put it on clean towell dry hair, leave it on for about 20 minutes, wash it out, just like hair color  without the color and it has given my baby fine, thin, dry looking hair body and shine. I used it for the first time last week, and I am amazed how much better and healthier my hair looks and feels. It lasts about 4 weeks before you have to redo it. 

Esteemed Contributor

as of August 1st, I am officially 6 months in. I'm estimating that I have 18 more months to go. I'm trying to think of it in smaller sounding increments, so I'll just say I'm one quarter into my mission.  Smiley Happy

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Best thing I ever did for my hair and my looks. 

Honored Contributor

Hi to all who replied. I'm THERE! Started June 6th by having all dark hair brown dye removed and hair cut very short. What was left? All my white hair and a little "bleached" hair left on the ends. 

Now on Aug. 10, after 2 more pixie haircuts....all my own white (silver white) hair!!! I love it. 

Yes. I did do it the easy way by removing dye and not waiting for it to growing out, but the results are certainly worth it.

I've deep conditioned twice a week and alternated with a salon quality shampoo for silver/white hair (it's purple!). My hair is in good condition, not thin and has the same texture and body as it had before. 

What I'm missing is my curls. My hair is quite short...about 1 1/2" shorter than usual...that extra length is necessary in my hair to form the curl, so now I have wave in some areas. 

I will be growing it the extra inch until my curl returns so I have the option to wear it curly or straight. 

Thanks to all who followed the saga and shared their stories with me and each other. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Hi to all who replied. I'm THERE! Started June 6th by having all dark hair brown dye removed and hair cut very short. What was left? All my white hair and a little "bleached" hair left on the ends. 

Now on Aug. 10, after 2 more pixie haircuts....all my own white (silver white) hair!!! I love it. 

Yes. I did do it the easy way by removing dye and not waiting for it to growing out, but the results are certainly worth it.

I've deep conditioned twice a week and alternated with a salon quality shampoo for silver/white hair (it's purple!). My hair is in good condition, not thin and has the same texture and body as it had before. 

What I'm missing is my curls. My hair is quite short...about 1 1/2" shorter than usual...that extra length is necessary in my hair to form the curl, so now I have wave in some areas. 

I will be growing it the extra inch until my curl returns so I have the option to wear it curly or straight. 

Thanks to all who followed the saga and shared their stories with me and each other. 

@Shanus Let's see some pics!!!!  How exciting to have reached your goal.  Growing that extra inch will be a change, too.  BTW be careful with the purple shampoo.  Your hair can take on a purple hue if it is overused.  Maybe alternate it with a non/purple shampoo??

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs. Yes, I do use the purple shampoo only every 3rd or 4th time. The stylist did give that warning. Pics? My hair looks pretty much the same as my "after pics" already posted.... Very short and white! I may post another pic when it grows a little to the curly stage.  Thanks for sharing my excitement. 💕

Honored Contributor

I only had grey at my temples that started showing up within the last 3 or 4 years.  I usually don't bother with hair dye, but about twice a year I'd have dark color put in to color the grey, depending on my mood. 

At the end of April of this year, I had an extremely bad allergic reaction to a new hair dye my new stylist used.  The brand is called Provana.  Long story short, I ended up in the emergency room two days later!  My hair fell out, and my eyes and ears looked like I was at the tail end of a boxing career, I could barely see they were so huge & swollen.  Then there was the itching -- my entire body severely itched (toes, elbows, everywhere!). 

Two months, and couple of hundred dollars of meds later(paid by my stylist), I was fine again.  I had to have my hair cut to about an inch in length.  I had a relaxer in my hair for about 45 years.  Back in the day, a lot of African-American little girls' moms started early with the hair relaxer because styling was easier.  I kept using it all those years later.

But after that horrible experience, I now wear my natural hair -- I will never put a relaxer, perm, curling iron, flat iron, or any hair color in my hair.  It's been about two months since the "big chop."  It's healthy and growing so fast already!  

I think I have lovely, defined, natural curl's now.  Still grey at the temples and sides, but it's me and I kinda love it.

[Sorry this was so long, it's the first time I felt I could actually write about it.]

Thank you @Shanus.