Respected Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

I'm 55, super dark brown is my natural color, very coarse and frizz fest in humidity and have 25% gray coming in ( I know that's been pretty good run).  I've been highlighting it to mask the gray but it got super damaged over time, making the frizz awful.  Yuck, frizz ruins any style in 5 minutes no matter what products I use, except keratin treatment. Such a pain. No more highlighting.  I do keratin myself at home monthly in summer to control frizz. 

Im letting the gray grow in now- I like it naturally lighter and I think as long as I control the frizz, it will look ok.  I have identical twin who colors hers and it's too dark- no dimension.  

I'm not gonna waste time and money covering gray.  

Respected Contributor

I have dark brown hair and it is greying mostly around the temple area.  I am 64 and so tired of dying!!   Also, I take Tamoxifen and noticed that my hair is thinningSmiley Sad.  So maybe another reason to stop dying...  such a hard decision for me.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

BEFORE

IMG_4712.JPG

@Shanus, in your after picture, you have very straight hair. Did your stylist blow it out, or did you some treatment to straighten it?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

BEFORE

IMG_4712.JPG

@Shanus, in your after picture, you have very straight hair. Did your stylist blow it out, or did you some treatment to straighten it?

She cut it shorter and layered w/ razor. It roughed up the texture to give it a younger look. My hair is very thick & curly. The before pic is short, but blown out w/ large round brush. She had me grow it out for about 8 wks. (long time for me) so she'd have enough roots to match & enough length to style. 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I have dark brown hair and it is greying mostly around the temple area.  I am 64 and so tired of dying!!   Also, I take Tamoxifen and noticed that my hair is thinningSmiley Sad.  So maybe another reason to stop dying...  such a hard decision for me.  

Not trying to sway you, but my hair feels thicker since she bleached my color out...She explained it swells the hair shaft.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I'm 55, super dark brown is my natural color, very coarse and frizz fest in humidity and have 25% gray coming in ( I know that's been pretty good run).  I've been highlighting it to mask the gray but it got super damaged over time, making the frizz awful.  Yuck, frizz ruins any style in 5 minutes no matter what products I use, except keratin treatment. Such a pain. No more highlighting.  I do keratin myself at home monthly in summer to control frizz. 

Im letting the gray grow in now- I like it naturally lighter and I think as long as I control the frizz, it will look ok.  I have identical twin who colors hers and it's too dark- no dimension.  

I'm not gonna waste time and money covering gray.  

Mine gets frizzy too sometimes. Stylist has me deep condition once or twice a week and when rinsing out conditioner in shower, she said to leave a little in there...don't rinse completely. It works. Drier hair seeks moisture from the air causing frizz (her knowledge, not mine). Well moisturized hair means less frizz.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Shanus.  I condition, but I guess not enough-  I'll try your strategy.  ❣️👍🏼😎 Here's to frizz- free summer days! 

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Shanus.  I condition, but I guess not enough-  I'll try your strategy.  ❣️👍🏼😎 Here's to frizz- free summer days! 

Have you read the book The Curly Girl Method? Even if hair not curly, goes through steps using a light gel, natural oil, products w/onsilicones that are drying & in what order, how to blow dry....Hint: only use microfiber towel...even travel w/ mine because it makes such a difference, satin pillowcase so hair slides, etc. 

Valued Contributor

I'm 68 and have been dying my hair for a long time.  I have a very dark ashy brown natural color that has become darker over the years and doesn't look very attractive.  So I use a medium natural brown on it to warm it up.  If I was going gray all over my head I might consider it - but my gray - as was my Mom's - is in patches.  I have a patch on top of my head and one in the back.   So if I stop using hair color - I would be mostly dark ashy brown.  UGH..

Honored Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

I'm 68 and have been dying my hair for a long time.  I have a very dark ashy brown natural color that has become darker over the years and doesn't look very attractive.  So I use a medium natural brown on it to warm it up.  If I was going gray all over my head I might consider it - but my gray - as was my Mom's - is in patches.  I have a patch on top of my head and one in the back.   So if I stop using hair color - I would be mostly dark ashy brown.  UGH..

How lucky not to have to cover roots every 3 wks.