Honored Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

@I am still oxox. Are you wanting to see it now while still dark reddish brown w/ white roots and then again after stylist does her magic on the 21st or just the after pics?

Honored Contributor

I misunderstood I thought this was to happne last week

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Plan B:

Just saw Hairdo Wigs on program guide. Should the white hair look like cwap when she finishes pulling out color and highlighting....always an option to get a short inexpensive dark brown wig and let the white hair grow out naturally. Then the big reveal!

Valued Contributor

@Shanus How did your hair turn out after lifting color out?...Curious because i am thinking of doing it to.

Honored Contributor

@Midnight11 wrote:

@Shanus How did your hair turn out after lifting color out?...Curious because i am thinking of doing it to.

The appointment to remove the dark dye is on the 21st. I have about 6 wks. growth of roots and went for consultation appt. yesterday. She parted my hair in various places & took photos so I could see there were places in the back that were only 75% white...still some darker hairs coming in.

So, in a few weeks, the wait will be over....Believe me, I'm more curious (& anxious) than you are!

Esteemed Contributor

The ladies on the community board told me to come over here because I posted a thread over there about dying hair too.

Anyway I'm a natural redhead who has been dying my hair red for many years due to grays.

I had recently stopped dying it for almost 4 months and was going to never dye it again. However,. after getting my hair cut really short for Summer I saw I had gray on the top, white on the bottom back half, and some natural red still mixed in.

I couldn't take it. lol. I dyed my hair red the next day after I got my hair cut.

Conclusion; I think I will always dye it from now on. I just looked too washed up with my complexion and all the gray. Plus Ive become vain (I guess).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Take a look at Meg Tilly with gray hair. She looks stunning:

From People magazine's website:

http://people.com/movies/meg-tilly-inside-her-quiet-life-now/

Honored Contributor

I just turned 63 and have been coloring my dark brown hair with a touch of caramel which was a temporary color.  It's now completely out and my hair is a very dark brown but a flat color.  I have no gray (I take after my dad who didn't go gray until his mid 70s) and was thinking that lightening my hair would give my face a boost...maybe highlights.

Honored Contributor

My experience with gray hair has been with mixed feelings.  I completely let it go back to it's natural color and actually liked it. My hair, however, did not have as much body and thickness to it. My hair is ok everywhere else but the top and crown are thinning so I need all the body I can get. I added more color back and my hairdresser was right....it did have more body. Believe it or not, I missed the gray!  I have a very cool complexion and, imo, gray hair looks good on me.  I think I may try having some darker gray highlights or lowlights put ino it for body....not sure what to do at this point.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@2penny. Hi congrats! I know from experience it's a really big decision... one that gets bigger along the way! 

I've heard grey hair is drier and the texture needs more conditioning. I personally haven't gotten there yet myself to have to worry about the deep conditioning. Whatever extra care needed is better than monthly color appts. and always looking at grey roots.

Suggesting a great book for support: GOING GREY by Kreamer. 

My gray hair is not dry at all.  It's very oily and I have to wash it every morning because it looks like you could fry an egg on it.  I use no conditioners, just shampoo and no styling products.