Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

The last time I put dye on my hair was December 2016.  It has been painful trying to grow out my natural color which is about 75% silver/white with strands of dark brown mixed in.  It's slowly coming around and my hairstylist has been putting on a weave in dark brown in just a few select strands every other month to help with the transition.  I've also cut my hair shorter and that is helping with the change.  It isn't easy but I'll be glad when my hair is totally "me" and I don't have to mess with dye anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never regret my decision stop coloring six years ago. Chose pixie cut to get rid of the color. Then grew out, Recently pixie cut. Not about the money more than enough, Tired of trips to the salon. I understand not for everyone. Love my silver.🙋

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting.  I'll be listening to hear about the progress.  Funny how our well-being gets tied up in our hair.  Foible of modern life, I guess.

So far I have not had to color.  I am a medium brunette that bleaches red/blond naturally in the Summer.

I did, however, just commit to a tight fade (cut).  Amazingly cool in the heat!  Perspiration evaporates right away.  I kept the top long, and the bangs long.  I am channeling Sinead.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Decided to stop when I stopped working.  It was just one more chore for me.  I had it cut really, really short and waited the resulting mess out.  Years later I am still happy it did it.  

Respected Contributor

I decided to ditch the dye this past December and since I wear my hair short it is now complete. I'm still getting used to the gray/white (I used to be a golden brown) but I've found so many upsides to it - no more messy dye, no worries about roots or fading in the summer sun, my hair feels healthier and thicker. There are several YouTube videos of transitioning to gray hair that I watched for inspiration. Hang in there - I'm happy I did. 

Honored Contributor

Go for it!

Like you, I started going grey at an early age but dyed my hair so many different colors simply because it was fun to do. I have pure white around my face but the rest of my hair is still a deep brown because the back of my head hasn't changed color yet, lol. I have patches of white here and there but nothing uniform (I would look like a patchwork quilt if I did nothing). 

Some day : )

Honored Contributor

I don't have the complexion or eye color to do this now other wise I might think about it

it's more than just the color of the hair , IMO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear  My mom was from Italian heritage and she had olive complexion and brown eyes. She really was afraid to let her grey grow as she felt like you that her coloring was wrong for grey hair. However, she fell & broke her ankle , was non weight bearing for 4 months , and couldn't get out to the beauty shop to get it dyed, so it grew in , and as it turned out she loved it.Got a short haircut, to get rid of remaining color, and never looked back. As our hair goes grey, our complexion changes as well. 

Once I let my grey grow in at age 34 when people would see my Mom & I together they would comment that she should let her hair go grey as mine was so pretty, but she would just say I have my Dad's coloring and her's wouldn't look the same, which was true, I do have my Dad's coloring. My grey hair is the pure white that most natural redheads turn when they go grey, my Mom's was a much more steel grey that complimented her very well.

Esteemed Contributor

You Go Girl !!  I support your decision to go grey 100% !!  We welcome a new silver-haired beauty!

I didn't color my hair - my natural blonde hair gradually went silver over about 5 years.  At first people commented on my "frosted" hair and what lovely silver streaks I had.  I got tired of explaining I wasn't having my hair streaked and just thanked them.  Now I'm all silver and I love it!  It's me and it works.  I'm very happy with it. 

You will be too!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Stopped coloring my hair and got it cut short on my 54th birthday (I'm almost 61 now).  I love my hair color (and pixie cut) and haven't looked back. I get compliments from strangers on my hair, constantly!