Honored Contributor

DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

Yes, you heard it here about a year ago. I've been trying to get up the nerve, find a time when I had nothing great I needed to go to or be seen at (that never worked out). There was always someone's wedding, bar mitzvah, family photos, excuses and more excuses.

Over the weekend, I went to a wig shop and tried on a white wig...my hair started going white (not grey, but sparkly white) at age 18. The wig looked good. I did not look older as I had feared. In fact, lighter hair with my fair complexion looked softer and yes, more natural. 

By age 30, I was completely white (underneath the dye) and had to have it colored professionally every 3 wks. ($$$$$$$$$)!!!!! So.....this is it. No more excuses and planning trips around 3 wk. intervals to get to the stylist for root coverage. 

I have an appointment w/ her on June 6 & we'll begin the process by lifting the dark dye out and then she can see the actual color of my roots. She's going to highlight any darker colored areas (where dye didn't come off enough) to a white/silver shade closest to my "natural" color. Then I wait and watch.....New growth may still have some pesky dark hairs that have to make their way out and mix w/ the white. My stylist feels that at the 3 month mark, there should be enough of my own white color to get a shorter layered cut and be all white. 

Anyone else thinking of going natural and color free?

Trusted Contributor

Re: DECIDED TO DITCH THE DYE & GO GREY (WHITE)

I did it thirteen years ago and my hair was silver, not white or gray but real silver.  My husband and all friends and family loved it.  So I have never gone back - so easy -  love it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I followed your path @Shanus. My hair was white by the time I was 30. I dyed it brunette all the time I was working. I just didn't want to look "old" or washed out while I was developing and embracing my career. 

In my mid-50s I was able to retire due to downsizing and opportune retirement package offerings. Free at last, I stopped dying my hair. I hated the time it took, the products I used and the effort to keep it even colored with no tell tale roots. I finally got to  see what time had done for me. I wore short hair so it took only about 3-4 months to be white haired again. I've never looked back. My hair is soft and white and mostly thick--some places are thinning-- and I am thrilled to wear it natural. I get occasional compliments and it looks terrific with a summer tan and when I wear deep tone colors.

I encourage you to give up the dye, let your hair grow out to its mature color and texture and enjoy your own natural beauty. Be prepared for private, acceptable vanity when you look in the mirror in coming months. And you may be surprised at how much attention you get with your new look. Perhaps envy...

Esteemed Contributor

I've been salt and pepper since my 30's--i'm 66--i'm just about all salt these days--wear my hair short and layered....i've always been happy with my grey..my family and friends always liked it, too...congratulations on being free from root coverage!!

Honored Contributor

@nana59@gizmogal@Silver Fox1. Thanks. I need lots of encouragement!!!! And support. Only 3 months if my hair is short, huh? 

Super Contributor

I finally gave up dying my fading red hair a year ago. "They" say red heads don't go gray, but in fact they do as I am living proof. I still cringe a little when I look in the mirror, because I thought I would die a red head. The color suited me to a T, but I am so happy not to have to color the roots every 3 weeks. I get many compliments, and I wished I had just done it sooner.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm at week 18. I have been thinking about doing this for years, but while I was still working I just couldn't do it. I've been retired for 3 years now, and have no more excuses. my natural hair color was a reddish/brown-almost auburn color, and when my color started to fade and I began noticing some gray in my late forties, I started coloring. although I loved my dyed hair color, it never really looked completely natural. and there was that constant awareness that my roots were showing after just 12 or 14 days, and as I got older, the more brightly silver those roots became.

I tried this once before and got about to the point where I am now, then chickened out and went to my salon and had it colored. I immediately regretted that, and am now on my 2nd attempt.

I am taking this a week at a time and hope I can stay the course. unlike you, I do not plan to cut my hair short. it's just below my shoulders, and I intend to keep it at or about that length. it's going to take me about 2 years to complete my mission.

good luck with yours.

maybe we can post an update periodically.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

I started getting grey in my 20's. At 34 I had chemo so when my hair grew in it was about 1/2 grey. It was so delicate then I didn't want to dye it, so it has slowly gone completely white.

Honored Contributor

I let my very dark dyed hair grow out by getting it cut layered and short.  It looked highlighted until all the dark hair was gone. It didn't take long at all.  It's been about 13 years ago.  My natural hair is now black and silver mixed.  People ask if I color it this way and I get a ton of compliments.

I don't think there is a hair product that can remove all of the dark color from your hair sucessfully. You hair will be stained and not white. The stain is usually not a pretty color, often a horrible gold shade. Plus, color remover is very harsh. 

Personally, I would never go that route.  I'd just get the cut first and see how it looks.  

Contributor

I had to go grey because I had scalp issues with dye.  My hair has been medium brown for many, many years.  I have not colored my hair since November!!!!  I, like you, have more white hair than grey on two thirds of my head.  Only salt and pepper in lower back. How do I feel about it?  I will control myself and just say I dislike it.  (Putting it mildly to say the least).  Too much contrast from how I have looked all my life..  No one has seen me yet as I wear hats and wigs for now.  In another two months, I will have it colored with low lights.  My hairdresser is really good at this process on grey hair.  Dye does not go down to the roots.

I know people will be startled at first and I need to be prepared for a range of comments (depending on the relationship).  I am glad that I am seeing this through and am hoping that I am pleasantly surprised when the final process is done.  It has taught me a lot about myself.  I stare at grey hair all the time and marvel at how attractive most people look.  

I wish you the best in your journey.  Working with a plan like yours makes the process more interesting.  I am already picking out different shades of lip color and blush that I think will brighten the look.  Again, congratulations on your progress.