Esteemed Contributor

Curly girls -- Please check-in

I know there are numerous threads on the Curly Girl Method, but I wanted an update on where everyone is on their journey.

I've held off getting a salon "smoothing" treatment and still trying to return to my natural curls.

It's a challenge.

Also, I'm realizing that the expensive hair products I was using prior to my decision are not acceptable.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who are on the curly journey....yet again.

I need some inspiration this morning. It has been hot and humid for several days. Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Curly girls -- Please check-in

I've been all over the globe trying different hair products. From drugstore to higher end.

My experience is mine alone, but here goes. There IS a difference in quality and performance. The higher end ingredients are much better for my curls.

I started with 2A, 2B waves. I am  now getting some 2C curls. I got a Deva haircut and began using higher quality products. 

So far, Deva, jessicurl and Ecoslay Orange Marmalade are clear and convincing winners. The Ecoslay gel is quite amazing. Big, loopy waves with some nice coils. 

My hair is extremely thick and coarse in texture.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 

No Devacut salons in my area, so I'm dealing with the cut I have and just trying to learn to deal with curls again.

Sounds like you are at least finding a path to better curls.

Against my better judgment, I broke down and ordered 3 Devacurl products to get started.  My hair is fine and color treated, and the curl pattern used to be beautiful.

As I mentioned, my current products are "good" but not acceptable for curly hair.

It was a small investment for now.  

It can be discouraging when I remember that I did little or nothing when I was 30 and my curls were stunning.

No special shampoo or anything.  Now, it's a science project Cat LOL

I'm always teetering on the brink of going in for a smoothing, but will give the Devacurl products a few weeks.

Respected Contributor

It's nice to know that ladies are embracing their curls instead of working against them!   I always just worked with what I have and never tried to straighten it.  So glad that curls are coming back into fashion.   I've always disliked the straight, stringy,  flat to the head look that has been so popular for so long.

Honored Contributor

I never thought of it as a journey or a movement.  I just thought of it as loving the hair I was born with.  I know there are systems and whatever out there, I've seen all that on Youtube but it seemed like that was no better than the hassles of blow drying and blow outs and  expensive Keratin treatments.  About 6 years ago, I went to my hairdresser and told her what I my plan was and she cut my hair and got rid of all the split ends and the damaged hair.  After that it was trial and error.  I started with drugstore products that were made for curly hair.  My hair does not have a tight curl but it's curly than wavy, if that makes any sense.  It' grows fast so I didn't have short hair (which I don't like) for very long.  It's thick curly and shoulder length now.  I use Carol's Daughter products and I purchase them from the website or from Amazon.  I'm meticulous about keeping my ends trimmed to avoid frizz.  I wash my hair every 5-7 days.  I use lots of conditioner and comb it while under running water.  I rinse most of the conditioner out and I squeeze the water out of my hair with microfiber towel made for curly hair or an old cotton tee or paper towels.  I never rug, twist, comb my hair.  After squeezing the water out, I add leave in condition for curly hair, finger come my hair and let it air dry.  I never...ever use a hair dryer.  And that is it.  Between shampoos, I quickly dunk my hair under the shower or spritz it with water from a spray bottle.  And some leave in conditioner,  sometimes some argan oil which is great for curly hair.  I like to pull it up into a high ponytail in the summer.  Occasionally, I do go to my hairdresser for a blowout just for change but I haven't done that since last summer.  The part about accepting my curls is that I don't have any weather worries.  My hair might be a curlier than usual when it hot and muggy but that's not a problem.  

Super Contributor

All Deva products for me. That includes blotting wet hair in the shower with a microfiber towel. I put in the styling product on soaking wet hair and then squeeze my hair with a microfiber towel. It may sound like I am "wasting" product by blotting it after putting it in, but I don't think I am. You don't need too much Deva product to do whatever it is intended for, so I find they last a long time. Wishing you good luck with your experiment!
Respected Contributor

I struggle with naturally curly yet pretty much ugly hair. I blow it straight every day unless I'm not going out, then I let it air dry naturally. I have tried a million things to make it look good. The best result I've gotten is two pumps Moroccan oil followed by 1.5 pumps Devacurl coconut curl cream.  It takes forever to dry and then I end up scrunching it and playing with it.  One moment it looks good, the next I think it looks hideous. I cannot get okay with it. I was born with pin straight hair and it was that way all my life until in high school when I got perms all the time. Then straight hair came into fashion thanks in part to Beverly Hills 90210 and I started blowing it straight every day.  My hair never returned to straight, it is currently very curly and I really am annoyed and don't understand how this happened biologically.  If it was pretty I'd embrace it but it's like a 80's perm really.

Esteemed Contributor

As I've said, my curls in my youth were beautiful.  I embraced my hair and it was carefree.

Things changed over the years and I felt I was starting to look like an unkempt old lady with bad hair Cat LOL

That is the only reason I started having it smoothed.

I'm hoping that I can be patient and see where the curl is now, but...like I said, it's a REAL challenge!

Hair....if I had all the time back I've spent on it, I'd be in my 40s rather than 68!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, curly hair is a challenge! The better moisturized my hair is the more my curls 'behave' Woman Happy I deep condition at least 1x/week.  I haven't found any one line to be the answer though. I alternate product lines from week to week- Deva, Ouidad, Wen, Taya, Tweak'd- I'm finishing up my last of Carols Daughter now. That -- and a good hair cut with well balalnced layers- seems to work best. The latest brand I've tried is Love, Beauty & Plant- they have a specific formula for curly hair. 

I need to try a deva cut again, my one time was at the salon in NYC on Broadway and it was pricey as anything. Plus they didn't cut it the way I wanted, I showed them a picture from THEIR website and they still didn't cut enough off! I lost patience after being in the salon 4 hours - and had to get going at that point.

The drying method makes such a big difference. I formerly used turbie twists- the all cotton variety (not the knock offs). But one day I didn't have one handy, so I used an old cloth diaper that I keep around for when I color my hair.  It worked even better!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

As I've said, my curls in my youth were beautiful.  I embraced my hair and it was carefree.

Things changed over the years and I felt I was starting to look like an unkempt old lady with bad hair Cat LOL

That is the only reason I started having it smoothed.

I'm hoping that I can be patient and see where the curl is now, but...like I said, it's a REAL challenge!

Hair....if I had all the time back I've spent on it, I'd be in my 40s rather than 68!

@Witchy Woman  it took me a long time to embrace my curls!! I remember back in the 1980's my friends were getting perms to have their hair look like mine. That did it!! And when I had my son and daughter  in the 1990's  my curly hair  vanished for the 9 months each time.Now- if salons blow out my hair after a cut- it looks so odd. I usually go home and re-do my hair!