Honored Contributor

Curly Girl method, how much gel for longer hair?

If you follow the CG method how much aloe vera gel for bra strap length hair? The book just says something like half a palm full and then shows a girl with hair above the shoulders. I'm unsure how much to use. My hair is medium texture and thickness. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: Curly Girl method, how much gel for longer hair?

Not sure what a "curly girl method" is ... got a photo?

Respected Contributor

My hair isn't as long as yours, but I don't use very much.  Between a nickel and quarter size.  I had to experiment a bit.  My hair is thicker and not very coarse. 

Honored Contributor

Why are you using aloe gel as opposed to hair get. When I wore my hair cule I just Deva Curl gel on my hair and a lot of it 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

What is the aloe vera gel for? My impression of CG in general (and what seems to work for me, to my surprise) is that "more is more" when it comes to product. But I generally just use leave-in conditioner and DevaCurl styling gel. I've experimented with and sometimes use different "curl activators" like glycerin products, and with those, a little goes a long way. So I guess you need to experiment to see how varying amounts make your hair look and feel.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

My hair isn't as long as yours, but I don't use very much.  Between a nickel and quarter size.  I had to experiment a bit.  My hair is thicker and not very coarse. 

Yeah, I used about a quarter and I don't think it was enough. It did help my hair hold the curl especially near the root but I think I should try using more next time. 

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Not sure what a "curly girl method" is ... got a photo?

@Tinkrbl44 - There is a book called Curly Girl, written by the woman that started the Deva line of hair products for curly hair. There is also a website called naturallycurly.com with loads of forums for all curly hair type discussions - and more.

Basically, the followers do not use "poo" aka shampoo, and try to avoid products containing 'cones aka silicones. The idea is to keep the curls soft and as frizz-free as possible. There are many methods for using products (applying to wet hair, "plopping" using an old t-shirt, etc).

If you have curly hair Tink, check out the website; it's very good.

And we can only wish that this board was as good as theirs. :-)

Honored Contributor

Again I ask why aloe not curl defining gel

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Because I wanted to try it. I've read about it on many blogs and websites.