Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 

Thank you!  I think this is probably more work than what I want! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I find that a perm and pulling it back with a ponytail elastic like this (walmart) to protect the curl, saves me loads of time.

I don't want the work to do "beach waves"!

How to avoid the ponytail dent - Hair Romance

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I used to get perms way back and then I late got those spiral perms when they were popular!  I don't know ---- I remember them making my hair dry.  Are there are new improvements in them?  I no longer color my hair so that's one less drying thing.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I use a leave in conditioner from Kendra which isn't expensive, which is their styling lotion, although it's a no greasy  cream.   Rub in your hands, then hair, wet or dry.

This perm is less drying than holding the hair on a 300 degree metal or ceramic barrel for a few minutes.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Do you have a really curly perm?  I'm not up on all these things since I haven't done any of these things in ages!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@ECBG 

Do you have a really curly perm?  I'm not up on all these things since I haven't done any of these things in ages!  Thanks!

@AngelPuppy1 

Yes, on the "pink" rods.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Curling Iron Question

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@ECBG 

I used to get perms way back and then I late got those spiral perms when they were popular!  I don't know ---- I remember them making my hair dry.  Are there are new improvements in them?  I no longer color my hair so that's one less drying thing.  Thanks! 

They still make hair dry.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

This is the one I use and it works great for smoothing or adding curl and is very easy to use. I always burn myself with those other ones!  I have short hair - with longer hair you might want to try a larger barrel. 
image.jpeg https___m.media-amazon.com_images_I_61Wubij6C2L._SL1500_.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Curling Iron Question

[ Edited ]

After many failed attempts at using a curling iron, curling brush, etc. and many burns on my fingers, I went back to hot rollers. The curl lasts longer, doesn't damage my hair,  and takes much less time. If your stylist uses one on your hair, you might ask her how to use it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for many great tips and suggestions!  I have decided that I am going to wait until the next time I go for a trim and tell them what I am thinking about and also asking them for suggestions.