Honored Contributor

Re: Curious, do people line their lips before lip color anymore?

I line my lips with a neutral color lip pencil then fill it in and they apply my lipstick with a lip brush. It makes a big difference in the over all look and it seems to last longer.

Trusted Contributor

I have never used lip liner.... except for recently. HOWEVER, I don't really line as such - I use liner that is a very close color to the lipstick I want to use - or nude - as a matte lipstick all over my lips. Then I use lipstick/gloss over it. This way, if the lipstick starts to fade, I don't get that, ummm, call girl look. ;-)

The reason I have started doing this is that it prevents bleeding and still leaves color when the lipstick starts to fade.

So... in a sense, I use a "liner" as a color primer.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

bobbi brown advocates iining the lips after lipstick which i never heard of.

Interesting. I don't know how that would work and turn out well. If I used any of my liners after the colored balms or creamy lipsticks I have, I would have a mushy mess.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

It's lousy, isn't it?  I don't have that feeling that you mentioning, but my lips are horrible.  The worst area of mine are toward the corners, but the whole lip area is dry, flaky, and peeling.  I also bought one of those little miniature containers of vasoline that has a slight tint and it helps some, too.  The one doctor I went to said I might have angular chelitis (don't know if this is spelled right), but this was not a certainty.  It often, he said, cures on its own.  I sure hope so, as this is getting old!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been lining my lips for years. In the 90's I was guilty of lining my lips with a darker line,BUT that was the style. I remember getting a Pen Liner from QVC. Stacy Schefflin ,now on HSN.It was a liquid liner. I loved it so much. She only made a it few years and then gone. I was so upset and I could never find another liner like that one. I used pencils for a while,then when it seemed no one was lining their lips,I stopped too..Now ,I do it occasionally. I still like the way it looks,but now I use a liner closer to my lipstick color!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@suzyQ3

It's lousy, isn't it?  I don't have that feeling that you mentioning, but my lips are horrible.  The worst area of mine are toward the corners, but the whole lip area is dry, flaky, and peeling.  I also bought one of those little miniature containers of vasoline that has a slight tint and it helps some, too.  The one doctor I went to said I might have angular chelitis (don't know if this is spelled right), but this was not a certainty.  It often, he said, cures on its own.  I sure hope so, as this is getting old!  

Yes, @AngelPuppy1, that does sound like angular cheilitis. I've also read about exfoliative cheilitis. Possibly you have a combination. Angular just means that the problem is mostly at the corners of your mouth.

Please try the Aquaphor Healing Ointment, not a lip treatment. It comes in a tub or tube, but do get the tube. It's not expensive. Beautypedia gives it a top rating. I found it more effective than vaseline. It does contain petroleum jelly but also three or four other very good ingredients. My lips are doing better now since I've been using it for about three days. I apply it very frequently. It's of course not a cure, though.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

almost always use lip liner.....it helps keep my lipstick/gloss from spreading and helps keep the lips looking fresh. i prefer to do a lip liner slightly darker than my color.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

Thank you for giving me this suggestion!  I will have to give this a try.  It sure can't hurt!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

image.jpg

My process: Dr. Hauska lip liner in Garnet blended with a balm. So the color of the liner is essentially my lipstick. My lips tend to stay chapped no matter what. This deep burgundy lends color and definition.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

very pretty @LTT1