Respected Contributor

Re: Curious, do people line their lips before lip color anymore?

DH walked into the room a few years back when LR was on and asked me "why does that lady have eyeliner around her lips?" And that's why I use the ELF liplock....totally clear.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi

In your post, you said you have terrible allergies.  Do you mean to lip sticks, and such?  I was just wondering because I have been having a horrible problem with my lips peeling being irritated to the point where I can't wear liptsticks because of the peeling, etc.  My lips are so dry -- no amount of balm, etc. seems to take care of it.  

I have been thinking I must be allergic to some ingredients in certain lip sticks and glosses but who knows what they are and what brands as I have a ton of lip sticks and glosses and constantly am changing.

Right now I am using a Burt's Bees balm stick which is the Kokum Butter one and it gives me more relief than about anything.  Still, I hate being without lip color --- I look so washed out!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I still line my lips before color because it gives my lips a fuller look and a more finished look.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

DH walked into the room a few years back when LR was on and asked me "why does that lady have eyeliner around her lips?" And that's why I use the ELF liplock....totally clear.

your post made me laugh out loud!  @silkyk

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Desertdi

In your post, you said you have terrible allergies.  Do you mean to lip sticks, and such?  I was just wondering because I have been having a horrible problem with my lips peeling being irritated to the point where I can't wear liptsticks because of the peeling, etc.  My lips are so dry -- no amount of balm, etc. seems to take care of it.  

I have been thinking I must be allergic to some ingredients in certain lip sticks and glosses but who knows what they are and what brands as I have a ton of lip sticks and glosses and constantly am changing.

Right now I am using a Burt's Bees balm stick which is the Kokum Butter one and it gives me more relief than about anything.  Still, I hate being without lip color --- I look so washed out!!!  

I'm in the same boat, @AngelPuppy1, except instead of the peeling, I have some odd bumps, burning and swelling sensation, and just the feeling as if my lips don't belong to me. Weird. And, yes, a drying feeling that is beyond belief.

I  did some research online and sort of figured out what this might be. But I'm no doctor, so who knows? It most definitely could be caused or exacerbated by lip cosmetics, which is a shame since I have a million of them.

Right now I am using what some people swear by -- Aquaphor Healing Ointment (NOT their lip product). It's helping tremendously. I'm also using a small amount of OTC Hydrocortisone at night, but only temporarily.

I'm applying lipstick very lightly and carefully. Fortunately, the worst part is towards the corner (but not in the corner), so I just dab some lipstick mostly in the center of my lips.

I've actually made an appt with my derm.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

I line my lips before and after especially when I use skin tone shades it gives the illusion of bigger lips without looking fake.  I also noticed that Bobbi Brown would always line lips after applying the lipstick.  For me the lipstick last longer when I apply the liner after.

Honored Contributor

No I never do.   I have fairly generous lips with no lip lines yet so It's just an extra unnecessary step for me.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

Yes! I have always used a non - smear lip liner- one shade lighter than lip coloring/lipstick, followed with a non greasy moisturizer, then the color. 

NEVER just pull out your lipstick and hurriedly swipe across....what an unattractive mess, especially if you have no natural lines to begin with. Nothing more sloppy looking than uneven -feathering upper lips. 

She ( J. L ) would be that knowledgeable to know "THE" difference!!

I don't know. I never use a lip liner, but I didn't know that I look like an unattractive, sloppy mess. Hahahaha....oh, well, looks aren't everything, eh?Woman LOL

: )

Me either!  My lipstick never bleeds and I have very defined natural lips.  Not everyone is the same.

Valued Contributor

Nope, not really. I like sometimes using a chubby lip pencil, like the Bobbi Brown ones, that lay down a matte layer of color and then a gloss overtop. But that is just to ensure that I have more color on my lips after the gloss fades. I just got a new lip pencil from IT Cosmetics, however. And I'm giving that a whirl. Came in a 3-piece kit.

Esteemed Contributor

Nope. While I have a lip pencil, it goes unused. I don't really like the look and don't want to take the time either to use a lip pencil. I prefer just using a lipstick or a chubby lipstick pencil to put the lipstik on.