Honored Contributor

Re: Cruelty-free products - and those that aren't

@Mellie32 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is a very controversial topic, @Mellie32. What is your opinion?

I don't use only cruelty-free products and I'm perfectly fine with companies choosing to not test on animals, but I wouldn't support a ban.

@Mellie32, thank you for responding. JMO, but when someone asks a question that is controversial but does not include their own POV, I tend to wonder whether they are baiting.

Not that there are any posters who would ever do so, of course. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I doubt there are few who would endorse animal testing if they did some research and saw the cruel procedures.  However, there is huge funding/marketing behind  companies who endorse animal cruelty.  The film What the Health presented an interesting perspective on the motives that drive dairy/meat farm agriculture.  A very high price is paid for the cream on your face or the steak on your plate.  It is totally unnecessary, there are alternatives.

Respected Contributor

I have been trying to make the switch to cruelty free products as much as possible just recently, I'd say within the last year or so. I wasn't aware of how many companies still conducted animal testing truthfully, I thought it was a thing of the past until it was brought to my attention and I started looking into it. I think all of my skincare is now cruelty free, makeup I have just a few things left here to use up, along with bath and body products. I am working on trying to replace some household items with cruelty free alternatives also. I have a pretty big stockpile of basic hygiene products like shampoo and bar soap and toothpaste, so it will be a very long time before all those items are out of my house and I can replace them with cruelty free alternatives. I can't say that I will ever be totally cruelty free, some items such as feminine hygiene products, laundry soap, etc are just too difficult to find or expensive, but I am going to try to go cruelty free as much as possible. I have no interest in becoming vegan, giving up meat or giving up peanut M&M's because some food companies conduct animal testing also. I am just doing my best to try to support cruelty free companies because it's something I believe in and I'm just trying to be more aware before I purchase something new.

When I first started looking into it I was driving myself crazy because it's so complicated and overwhelming because so many big companies own smaller companies, etc. It can definitely be burdensome especially when it comes to companies like Unilever who make a lot of household items but also make food items. So I decided to stick with categories that are "easy" and go from there.

I personally think it would be totally fine to ban animal testing. I haven't done tons of research on it, but I don't really feel that it's necessary and doesn't buy us enough informtion to justify it's continuation.