Super Contributor

Any advice on how to prevent crepey skin before it starts?

I don't have it yet but I can tell that my neck, upper arms and under eye area are not too far from that stage. Belive it or not, my bellybutton is already crepey which is no big deal since it's just my bellybutton so it doesn't get exposed often. The face and neck are a big deal and want to focus on those areas.

Honored Contributor

@kelshar   Working with weights to keep the skin taut.  I have some crepy skin on the upper arms.  I took at body lotion at home and rubbed it on -- magic the crepy skin was gone.  Of course, it comes back eventually but it was interesting to see that a regular body lotion took care of it.  For the face, do facial exercises.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Re: Crepey Skin

[ Edited ]

Dear, if this is bothering you, go get a consult with a cosmetic dermatologist. Hard to  know what crepey skin exactly is. Of course the beauty industry has lots to sell you. Trial & error is costly & a lot of smoke & mirror.

As far as "facial exercises"this is 2019, not 1950. Best to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@kelshar wrote:

Any advice on how to prevent crepey skin before it starts?

I don't have it yet but I can tell that my neck, upper arms and under eye area are not too far from that stage. Belive it or not, my bellybutton is already crepey which is no big deal since it's just my bellybutton so it doesn't get exposed often. The face and neck are a big deal and want to focus on those areas.

yes.  never get a day older and never allow peri-menopause to begin.

😳  but seriously,

Many of the changes we see on the surface of the skin reflect structural changes below due to hormonal and other chemical signals...and it's been busy changing for a long time before it becomes visable.

I'm sure the Beauty ladies will help with face & neck. 

As to your arms, pick up some weights and build some new muscle.

It'll help your arms stay toned and smoother, longer.

Honored Contributor

@kelshar 

I don't know that this prevented it or if it's just the genes I've inherited.  I worked until I was 68 - so I couldn't afford to let my apppearance go.

When I was around 40, I decided to try preventive treatment.  What I've been doing for more than 30 years is exfoliation.  I use soap and water and bath gloves ... all the skin I can reach.  (I use Kiss My Face Olive Oil Soap these days).  Then, I used to use something from Ponds that my sister recommended, then something from Bath & Body Works also that my sister used and recommended.  Then - Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream came out and I've used this for years no.  I can't even tell you how long.  I'm a big fan of Avon products.  They work for me.

I've used Facial Flex since the early days of QVC.  You can't let up even for a few days ... sagging starts.  I left it home one time when I went outt of town.  But in a few days I was back to normal.

I've worn body shapers for years (not industrial strength Spanx, but rather light support) and light suppot pantyhose anytime I was going to be on my feet for any length of time.  

I don't look my age (75) nor does my sister look hers (72).  Most people I meet think I'm in my early 60s (and some think I'm younger than my sister, but don't let her know that).   Women in my family didn't wrinkle - so as I said above - it might be just good genes.  But I'm not going to take any chances and stop doing what I'm doing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crepey Skin

[ Edited ]

I believe that healthy skin, hair and nails comes largely from a healthy diet and of course from the genes you inherited. Preserving the skin you have today by wearing sunscreen is probably the best thing anyone can do to prolong a youthful appearance. Diet, sunscreen and moisturizers will help with aging skin. 

If you already have crepey skin then wear sunscreen and moisturise to reduce the look of it. Otherwise, you can seek the help of a dermatologist for anything beyond the traditional at-home treatments.

I got rid of the crepey skin on my nec and dec by microneedling and lasers.

Valued Contributor

@kelshar   I can offer the basic Skincare Rules given to me years ago by a Dermatologist; I was noticing negative changes in my face especially, so I got a few Restalyne injections.  I didn't want to keep them up, so I asked her as a Pro "How can I best care for my skin to keep it healthy and youthful without resorting to injections, office procedures,etc."

She said: "It's very basic:  Cleanse gently and regularly; Exfoliate, even with a Buff-Puff; Moisturize day & night; finally USE SUNSCREEN every day."  Since following these simple steps my skin has actually improved a lot over the last 15 years, I'd had sun damage & lines (I have 'mature' skin & I'd never used sunscreen!)  I admired her for not trying to lure me back into her office for 'treatments'.

Valued Contributor

@ALRATIBA @kelshar 

Another factor which always affects one's skin (and entire body) is the WATER QUALITY.  If you don't already use a Shower Filter, try one so you can avoid damaging chemicals (like chlorine) and bacteria present in tap water.  Pure water is better for your Hair as well. When cleansing at the sink, I only use Wipes or Micellar water -- I avoid Tap Water like the plague, and have for years. I'm convinced it's one big reason my skin & hair are in decent shape.

Chlorine fumes in your shower are even worse for skin, eyes, and respiratory system.  Be Safe & HealthyHeart

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65 wrote:

@ALRATIBA @kelshar 

Another factor which always affects one's skin (and entire body) is the WATER QUALITY.  

@BSurLife65 

I live in NYC - our water is rather high quality according to all reports that I've seen.  That could be a factor - I have a long sudsy soak in the tub every morning!

Honored Contributor

Crepey skin happens when the connection between the dermis and epidermis, the dermal epidermal junction (aka DEJ), breaks down with age and becomes less  deeply connected. Anti aging ingredients and techniques that encourage collagen generation can usually help the dermal epidermal junction at the same time.

There are peptides that specifically target the DEJ as well. SYN-TACKS, shown as Palmitoyl Dipeptide-5 Diaminobutyroyl Hydroxythreonine and Palmitoyl Dipeptide-5 Diaminohydroxybutyrate in ingredient lists targets the DEJ.

"SYN®-TACKS increases elasticity, firmness and suppleness by boosting the function of the Dermal-Epidermal Junction (DEJ). A well folded DEJ is the key to healthy, firm skin....The DEJ that provides structural and functional integrity to the skin, starts to weaken at around the age of 30. This process goes along, and is even accelerated by external influences such as UV light, with decreasing skin compactness, elasticity and a lack of skin firmness.

SYN®-TACKS significantly stimulates Laminin V, Collagens IV, VII and XVII and Integrin β4... By increasing the amount of these proteins the whole structure of he DEJ is improved...SYN®-TACKS improves cellular cohesion up to 23%, showing improved epidermal compactness."
https://www.dsm.com/markets/personal-care/en_US/products/products-ranges/syn-peptides/syn-tacks.html

Keeping your skin really well conditioned makes the crepiness look less apparent too. Dehydrated skin looks crepier. So using good humectants, oils, and emolients is a good idea. Most crepe erasing formulas are based on that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr