Trusted Contributor

Crepe-y skin under eyes -- what cream and makeup to use to de-emphasize?

I just had a 2 week allergy attack that included itchy, watery, red, and puffy eyes. Took my allergy meds, used allergy eyedrops, and applied cold cream/Clinique Moisture Surge around my eyes. The puffiness and dark circles are subsiding. If only the ragweed would go away...

I have crepe-y skin underneath the eyes now and my usual liquid foundation (Clinique) and cream-to-powder foundation (Clinique) just emphasize the crepe, especially when I smile.

Any suggestions for 1) eye cream that really keeps the delicate skin hydrated and firm, and 2) makeup products that can blend in the eye area?

Nothing too expensive or exotic, please. And not something I have to order online somewhere -- I'd like to have the products accessible in stores if possible.

TIA for your suggestions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Crepe-y skin under eyes -- what cream and makeup to use to de-emphasize?

If you have crepey skin under the eyes, nothing is not going to show.  What I do is try not to put anything under my eyes except a moisturizing eye cream.  I try to bring the foundation just up to the eye and then blend it up as little as possible under the eye area.  

Maybelline Rewind concealer might work the best if you still have darkness.

Hate to even admit it, (because she always said you don't need a separate eye cream, it's a waste of money) but the best eye cream I have ever used is Paula's Choice, it really did help with the crepiness.  (I am 68)  You have to keep using it of course.  It is through the mail however and not the cheapest.  You can usually get it on sale and it does last a long time.

Frequent Contributor

I  use the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in "Neutralizer". It is light and creamy and does not settle into fine lines. I have used just about every kind of concealer out there, high end to drugstore and this is by far the best I have found, and I do not mind spending the money on certain items if they actually work, but this Maybelline concealer is the best and is very affordable!

Honored Contributor

I like the Maybelline Age Rewind, too. I use the 'Neutralizer' color on my dark areas around my eyes and the 'Honey' for the rest of my face. It has an attached sponge applicator that may seem a bit large for getting into smaller areas like the inner corners of the eye. What I like to do is dab my smaller concealer brush onto the sponge and apply that way. You don't need much. A little is all you need. It goes on almost like a liquid foundation and not thick, goopy or sticky at all. You don't need to use a setting powder either unless you have oily skin.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs,   A lot of people knock Vaseline but if you use it under the eyes it makes the skin taut.  I learned this trick over 40 years ago.   Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@LonestarBabs,   A lot of people knock Vaseline but if you use it under the eyes it makes the skin taut.  I learned this trick over 40 years ago.   Cat Wink

@Katcat1

I'm surprised by your suggestion, since you believe heavy creams cause milia.  It doesn't get any more occlusive than Vaseline. 

Respected Contributor

Your skin is probably very dry around your eyes because of the medication & allergies. 

You may need to use a gentler cleanser (1). Even cleansers that are for dry skin, can make my eye area look so old.

(2) My 2 favorite eye creams have been recently discontinued, so I have to start that search, again! 

I'm hoping to get to the Cosmetics Company Outlet & get my Mac Mineralize Charged Water Eye Cream

My other favorite is the Nuance by Salma Hayek Anti Aging Smoothing Eye Cream & I do have a couple of tubes put back.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

I just had a 2 week allergy attack that included itchy, watery, red, and puffy eyes. Took my allergy meds, used allergy eyedrops, and applied cold cream/Clinique Moisture Surge around my eyes. The puffiness and dark circles are subsiding. If only the ragweed would go away...

I have crepe-y skin underneath the eyes now and my usual liquid foundation (Clinique) and cream-to-powder foundation (Clinique) just emphasize the crepe, especially when I smile.

Any suggestions for 1) eye cream that really keeps the delicate skin hydrated and firm, and 2) makeup products that can blend in the eye area?

Nothing too expensive or exotic, please. And not something I have to order online somewhere -- I'd like to have the products accessible in stores if possible.

TIA for your suggestions.

@I don’t have crepey under eyes but I do use a couple products to try and delay the aging around my eyes. I do use Paula’s Choice Line Minimizer around my eyes and lips but I will say I don’t see a WOW with this product around my eyes, but the fine lines around my top lip are plumper so much that a teacher I work with ask me if I’d had my upper lip injected. I think @HappyDaze liked this product for her lips also. Then I don’t specifically use an eye cream, but there are a lot of good skin care products at the drugstore. ELF is good and affordable and sold at Walmart. 

Respected Contributor

You might invest in a facial steamer. This has really helped with my dry facial skin. It's a few minutes each night but so worth it.......😍
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it's in your budget and in your desires then I would seek professional help from a derm or plastic surgeon. Consultations are usually free and options for improving your eye area may surprise you.Woman Happy @LonestarBabs