Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I've never bought color cosmetics from any of Amazon's websites nor from Walmart's website. I will buy color cosmetics and skin care from Winners, Marshalls or T.J. Maxx though if they are not opened. With cosmetics and skin care I know that items frequently get sent back to the vendor rather than the store discounting the item to sell to customers and those items that get sent back to the vendor then get sold by the vendor to TJX. Those companies also sign NDAs with TJX.

I do my research and google to see if an item I'm interested in at a TJX owned store is a discontinued item and check to see how old it is. For example, Too Faced cosmetics has repackaged their Natural Matte neutral eyeshadow palette and also changed the formula for some of the eyeshadows. So the older package that comes in a metal tin frequently shows up at TJX owned stores. (The new version comes in a plastic case.) I've seen the older version periodically show up in stores since late spring.

I bought my daughter a palette at the Las Vegas strip Marshalls. I bought myself one earlier this summer at Winners in Canada and I have just purchased a third one in Canada to give as a gift. These were manufactured in October 2016 as I googled the checkfresh website with the batch code on them so they are still good. The ones I bought are in perfect condition -- i.e. people haven't been able to open and swatch them because they are in locked boxes or have those wire gizmos around them so people can't open or steal them. I think I paid about $16 U.S. dollars or $20 CDN dollars for a palette and I know that they sold in Sephora for about $40 CDN.

@TY  I’m confused. Please help clear this up for me. You don’t purchase at Amazon, etc. Knowing that an item is 2 yrs. old at TJ Maxx is OK because why? 

Respected Contributor

There are often complaints on Amazon about fake personal care products.  That is why I usually order skincare either directly or from sites like Sephora.

I also read one star Amazon reviews first, which usually spell out any problems.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

The item in question is a powder formula, and the product once opened is good for 12 months. But most cosmetics have a shelf life unopened of 3 years from the time they are manufactured. I don't expect that a powder eyeshadow to go rancid in that time frame. Also Too Faced is owned by Estee Lauder so I don't expect quality control issues by them. I've seen quite a few Estee Lauder owned brands show up at Winners, Marshalls, and T.J. Maxx in the last couple of years especially as they too must manage their inventory during rough patches in the economy such as all of the department store closures where their products were sold. For example, Estee Lauder discontinued its Estee Edit line that was sold at Sephora too. Sephora put it on clearance for a few months last year then what was left over got shipped back to Estee Lauder and then showed up at TJX stores. I'll look at items in Winners and see how old it is and what reviews were too.

The old version of the Too Faced Natural Mattes palette is made in the U.S. while the newer version in the plastic case has the eyeshadows manufactured in the U.S. but it's assembled in the Dominican Republic. That just shows how complicated and global the supply chains have become.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@Shanus

The item in question is a powder formula, and the product once opened is good for 12 months. But most cosmetics have a shelf life unopened of 3 years from the time they are manufactured. I don't expect that a powder eyeshadow to go rancid in that time frame. Also Too Faced is owned by Estee Lauder so I don't expect quality control issues by them. I've seen quite a few Estee Lauder owned brands show up at Winners, Marshalls, and T.J. Maxx in the last couple of years especially as they too must manage their inventory during rough patches in the economy such as all of the department store closures where their products were sold. For example, Estee Lauder discontinued its Estee Edit line that was sold at Sephora too. Sephora put it on clearance for a few months last year then what was left over got shipped back to Estee Lauder and then showed up at TJX stores. I'll look at items in Winners and see how old it is and what reviews were too.

The old version of the Too Faced Natural Mattes palette is made in the U.S. while the newer version in the plastic case has the eyeshadows manufactured in the U.S. but it's assembled in the Dominican Republic. That just shows how complicated and global the supply chains have become.

@TY  Thanks for explanation. Maybe I’m just not as trusting when researching/tracking or don’t have that much patience to go through the process. 

Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

There are often complaints on Amazon about fake personal care products.  That is why I usually order skincare either directly or from sites like Sephora.

I also read one star Amazon reviews first, which usually spell out any problems.

@ Montana  I assumed that issue would not be with products obtained & sent by Amazon. There are times Amazon acquires a product from another source. It clearly states that. Those would be the ones I’d avoid.

Trusted Contributor

This just happened to me. I bought devacurl gel from amazon and it was watered down. I sent it back today. They better not charge me anything for it the product was not the original product. 

I just ordered the same item for a higher price from devacurl.com. Guess  a bargain isn't always a bargain.

Trusted Contributor

I frequently purchase cosmetics and hair care from Amazon. (no skin care or fragrance)  I only buy products that are listed as "sold by" or "fulfilled by" Amazon,

Last Christmas, I had my first experience with either old or counterfeit product.  I pulled my order up on Amazon and clicked on "RETURN".  A box came up that asked why I wanted to return my item.  I type that it was old or counterfeit, either way, unusable product.

A message popped up on my screen that asked if I wanted a refund or a credit.  I was asked how I wished to return the item, UPS? or USPS?  After I indicated, a free shipping label was sent to my email.  My account was credited as soon as I dropped my item off at the UPS store. So, no bad luck here, BUT, it is imperative the item you purchase comes from Amazon.  

Honored Contributor

This is one reason why I am so careful about where I buy my products.  I'd rather pay more and know what I am getting.  As much as some people love Amazon, they aren't always very quick to pull obviously counterfeit/fake items that are listed either.

There was a MAC lipstick that was discontinued and being sold on Amazon by a third-party seller.  Review after review indicated the item was a fake yet the lipstick was still being sold. 

I SMH when I see posters talking about buying skincare, make-up, etc. from E-bay.  No thank you.  If I can't afford to buy the real deal, I'll find something else.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This is one reason why I am so careful about where I buy my products.  I'd rather pay more and know what I am getting.  As much as some people love Amazon, they aren't always very quick to pull obviously counterfeit/fake items that are listed either.

There was a MAC lipstick that was discontinued and being sold on Amazon by a third-party seller.  Review after review indicated the item was a fake yet the lipstick was still being sold. 

I SMH when I see posters talking about buying skincare, make-up, etc. from E-bay.  No thank you.  If I can't afford to buy the real deal, I'll find something else.   

@Lipstickdiva, I agree with you but would add that not every review claiming a fake is true. This happens quite often with perfume, but I take it with a grain of salt.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland