Respected Contributor

@Starliteshine wrote:

I forgot to add I read an article about counterfeit products being sold on Amazon. In the past , we had some security knowing we were buying an authentic product if it was shipped by Amazon. Not anymore. Say you bought a Wet Brush from Amazon and it was shipped from Amazon. The article said that Amazon puts all of the Wet Brushes in the same bin. The bin is a mixture of Wet Brushes from different sellers. Therefore, the counterfeit products get mixed in with the real products. Some sellers stated that they bought their own product from Amazon and received a counterfeit product. 

@Starliteshine  That is interesting. I have always avoided buying cosmetics on Amazon. I know that there are a lot of fakes.  But I didn't know about what you mentioned.  Very informative indeed.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Warnings tonight about counterfeit make-up being sold on the internet containing the cheapest of ingredients and possible bacterial contamination.  Look for words "sold and shipped by Amazon, Wal-Mart," etc. to assure you're getting the real deal.

@Kachina624   I've always done that.  Recently I got a great deal, during PRIME DAY,  on suppliment that I've been giving my dog since she is 3 mos old.  She'll be 8 in Oct.   I've always purchased it directly from Amazon (no third party).  Prime day,  I did the same thing.  About a month later I got an email from Amazon stating that they could not verify that what they had sold me was the real deal, and that it may not be as effective (and who knows what else!).   Comments started appearing on Amazon under that product and one woman called the manufacturer, who said the ONLY verified true sellers besides vets are Chewy, and one other.  The manufacturer stated that there were SEVEN bogus sellers on Amazon.  Remember,  my purchase stated the seller was Amazon.  I compared the bottle to the one I had previously and the new one from Chewy,  and both my old bottle and the new Chewy bottle were exactly the same.  The bottle Amazon told me to toss (credit was given), had a ligher yellow, not very well printed band on the top of the bottle, and did NOT say MADE IN AMERICA.  We threw the bottle and the pills out (thankfully I hadn't given my dog any yet). 

SO ...   sorry for the long story...  sadly, even when it says SOLD BY AMAZON,  you can't always be sure. 

Respected Contributor

I just bought some Living Proof Thickening Cream and the seller was Cutlass Beauty.  They had 100% satisfaction rating, so I will wait and see.  Thanks for the heads up @Kachina624.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Warnings tonight about counterfeit make-up being sold on the internet containing the cheapest of ingredients and possible bacterial contamination.  Look for words "sold and shipped by Amazon, Wal-Mart," etc. to assure you're getting the real deal.

@Kachina624  Thanks for posting this. Heard this on news last night and something else to watch out for...another scam. 

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

This is nothing new.  Even before the internet, and certainly now with it, if the price is too good to be true on an expensive national brand cosmetic item there is a good chance that the product could be as fake as the inexpensive knockoff designer handbags consumers have been scammed by.   Sometimes a deal is not a deal.  

@Trix  It goes back to “if it sounds too good to be true, it is”. 

One of the biggest offenders is the makeup/fragrance stores at outlet malls. Be aware these may be from dept. stores, in the cases, under the lights and although the date is OK, the product has been altered by exposure. Most dept. stores “pull” display items & discard them at regular intervals. Others do not and they go to these outlets.

Regular Contributor

Do any of you know if this is also an issue with Costco Beauty items? I recently bought some Tatcha and Shiseido from Costco. I hope they aren't store rejects that have been ssitting under hot lights or something.

Honored Contributor

@laraffinee wrote:

Do any of you know if this is also an issue with Costco Beauty items? I recently bought some Tatcha and Shiseido from Costco. I hope they aren't store rejects that have been ssitting under hot lights or something.

@laraffinee  I’m always suspect of high end cosmetics or hair products when I see them in big box stores, TJ Maxx, Walmart, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@laraffinee wrote:

@laraffinee  I’m always suspect of high end cosmetics or hair products when I see them in big box stores, TJ Maxx, Walmart, etc.

@ShanusYou are correct about how department stores rid themselves of old beauty stock.  I have firsthand knowledge of that business practice.   @laraffinee Costco is definitely not going through the same channel to secure Tacha, Shiseido and other high end cosmetics sold there as retailers who are charging the higher prices.  If they were the price would be the same as those places charge.  It's a buyer beware situation whenever and wherever you buy deeply discounted cosmetics (regardless of how trusted the discount retailer is).  Sure, sometimes there is nothing wrong with the product, but there is always the likelihood that you won't get the same efficacy because it is never new from the manufacturer stock. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never bought color cosmetics from any of Amazon's websites nor from Walmart's website. I will buy color cosmetics and skin care from Winners, Marshalls or T.J. Maxx though if they are not opened. With cosmetics and skin care I know that items frequently get sent back to the vendor rather than the store discounting the item to sell to customers and those items that get sent back to the vendor then get sold by the vendor to TJX. Those companies also sign NDAs with TJX.

I do my research and google to see if an item I'm interested in at a TJX owned store is a discontinued item and check to see how old it is. For example, Too Faced cosmetics has repackaged their Natural Matte neutral eyeshadow palette and also changed the formula for some of the eyeshadows. So the older package that comes in a metal tin frequently shows up at TJX owned stores. (The new version comes in a plastic case.) I've seen the older version periodically show up in stores since late spring.

I bought my daughter a palette at the Las Vegas strip Marshalls. I bought myself one earlier this summer at Winners in Canada and I have just purchased a third one in Canada to give as a gift. These were manufactured in October 2016 as I googled the checkfresh website with the batch code on them so they are still good. The ones I bought are in perfect condition -- i.e. people haven't been able to open and swatch them because they are in locked boxes or have those wire gizmos around them so people can't open or steal them. I think I paid about $16 U.S. dollars or $20 CDN dollars for a palette and I know that they sold in Sephora for about $40 CDN.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Counterfit Beauty Items

[ Edited ]

@nyc1

Recently I got a great deal, during PRIME DAY,  on suppliment that I've been giving my dog since she is 3 mos old.  She'll be 8 in Oct.   I've always purchased it directly from Amazon (no third party).  Prime day,  I did the same thing.  About a month later I got an email from Amazon stating that they could not verify that what they had sold me was the real deal, and that it may not be as effective (and who knows what else!).   Comments started appearing on Amazon under that product and one woman called the manufacturer, who said the ONLY verified true sellers besides vets are Chewy, and one other.  The manufacturer stated that there were SEVEN bogus sellers on Amazon.  Remember,  my purchase stated the seller was Amazon.  I compared the bottle to the one I had previously and the new one from Chewy,  and both my old bottle and the new Chewy bottle were exactly the same.  The bottle Amazon told me to toss (credit was given), had a ligher yellow, not very well printed band on the top of the bottle, and did NOT say MADE IN AMERICA.  We threw the bottle and the pills out (thankfully I hadn't given my dog any yet). 

SO ...   sorry for the long story...  sadly, even when it says SOLD BY AMAZON,  you can't always be sure. 

OMGosh! Thats reprehensible! Thank goodness your furbaby hadn't ingested any, I hope no other ones in the world didCat SadCat Mad

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE