Trusted Contributor

I read the article on Refinery29 and I don't think Cosco sells counterfeit skin care products. They buy the products from a distributor but they themselves are not an "authorized" distributor. Companies such as Sisley probably don't like Cosco selling their products because they are discounted and Cosco isn't high end like Saks or Neiman Marcus but the products they sell are the real thing IMO.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

I read an article on counterfeit a few years ago.  The boxes and instructions and wrapping are often mimics the real product packaging to the last detail.  Some are so good even the original designer could hardly pick his/hers own box from the lot of real and fakes.  Usually there is a slip up in the quality of paper with the  and ink color, as cosmetic CEO's now make their own. They often now watermark it.  But then like counterfeit money, they then replicate the ink and paper!!

Most often the cosmetic is made overseas and sent somewhere else to be boxed, then sent to US to be distributed. The quality is so compromised and degraded for cost.  There has to big money in it, as they go to a lot of work.  But it is big business,

There is big money to be made stealing or hijacking boxes and tubes with company logo and such, then all they need is a refill.  Often the counterfeit product is real product watered down.  They take one jar of expensive cream, and make 2 or 3 jars with a 'filler".  This is often done by small time counterfeit dealers.  They get used jars, and boxes and take one cream, add filler and make 3 jars.  Then sell it on ebay as  a gift they didn't like, they are often sold without  the outer box or no outer seal.  Perricone by the way has some creams they do NOT seal with cellophane on outer box, so how would one know?  Only someone who used his product before would know if the product was off.  As I said, I knew right off when I bought an eye firming cream for about  half off on Amazon from 3rd party.  It was brown in color, oily, and separated..  The smell was like lavender.  Since when does Perricone smell that good?

Honored Contributor

@UMDTerpFan

You are absoulutley correct TerpFan!!  Couldn't agree more!  I boughtt  Sisley Antiaging Global Cream at the dept stores and it had gone up to 480 a jar!!!  When I started using it I paid 280, over 8 years this is where the price landed. Costco sells a few  Sisley items oonline, one is their cream!  They sell it for 280!  That is 200 bucks cheaper?  That is why I called Costco.  The seals were real, and I loved the savings.  The gals at NM who work at the cosmetic counters get a nice % as commission.  They work their butts off, and deserve it, but 200 bucks is 200 bucks!

Honored Contributor

I worry more about the freshness of authentic products, especially skin care. If I don't buy directly from the company, I try to buy from an authorized dealer/site that sells in enough volume that products aren't sitting around collecting dust.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

This is why I won't buy cosmetics and skincare from e-bay or Amazon. You just never know.

This is also why Dr. Denese reports sellers and has the listings pulled when her company sees someone selling her items on e-bay.