Respected Contributor

Couldn't access the boards yesterday, sigh!

Hi all. Have been MIA 2 days and not because I wanted to be.  Couldn't get the little wheel to stop spinning, and the one time it showed this page, I couldn't sign in or go to the next page.  So frustrating when you can't tell if it's you or the bds because you can't get on to read everyone's posts!

Anyone else have problems over the weekend?

Respected Contributor

Re: Couldn't access the boards yesterday, sigh!

i dont think you were the only one having issues.  chrystaltree has a thread 'anyone else having this problem' or something like that.

so sorry you were unable to sign on, but welcome back! 

Honored Contributor

I had problems too.  I thought it was resolved but it seems to happen intermittently now.  It's so aggravating!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven’t had these issues, but I know others have and it really can be frustrating.

Nearly all the problems of this nature are related to your browser. 

It might eventually clear up, but "browser housekeeping" can help you avoid ever seeing the problems.

Some sites are particularly sensitive to the cookies/cache/website data stored on your device.  If they make even the slightest change on the site (usually a change we don’t even see) it can cause your existing cookies/cache/data to stop “communicating” properly with the site. 

Unfortunately, this website is one of the sensitive ones, and I don't see that ever changing.

The very best, basic, first-line-of-troubleshooting steps are these:

1 —  Have at least 2 browsers installed.  If there’s problem with one, log in with the other one and see if the identical thing happens.  (IE is having more and more problems and they’re not being as well-supported as they used to be, so your best best is to avoid that one, in my opinion.)

2 — Be sure you have the most current version of the browser.

3 —  a.  Delete cookies/cache/website data

b.  Close browser

c.  Relaunch browser

I do this at least once a day with all my devices and it’s well worth the couple of minutes it takes.

4 — If there’s still a problem, be sure any addons/extensions or plugins (things like AdBlock, Adobe Flash Player, etc.) are up-to-date and that you haven’t recently changed their settings in a way that might affect interaction with this site.

~~~~~~

Even if you see the problems on more than one device, it's still likely a need for "browser  housekeeping" on all devices.

The spinning wheel -- if  you only see it when using the internet -- might be a problem with your internet connection.  Use a site like "Speed Test" (http://www.speedtest.net/) or their mobile app to check and be sure your connection is okay.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Fancy and Chrystal, thanks for letting me know I wasn't alone, because it sure feels like it when you can't get on and don't know why.

DooBoo, awesome info., thanks so much.  I did try different browsers and even had DS try to get on with his computer - no dice. I don't know how to clear cookies and everyone says I could lose some of my info., so not going to try (not that I know how anyway).

The good news is it seems fine now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Desi1 wrote:

Fancy and Chrystal, thanks for letting me know I wasn't alone, because it sure feels like it when you can't get on and don't know why.

DooBoo, awesome info., thanks so much.  I did try different browsers and even had DS try to get on with his computer - no dice. I don't know how to clear cookies and everyone says I could lose some of my info., so not going to try (not that I know how anyway).

The good news is it seems fine now.

You're welcome, @Desi!  You won't "lose info" when you delete cookies -- it does no harm and helps you avoid all kinds of problems.  As I said, I do it at least once a day and that's likely one of the main reasons I don't encounter most of the site glitches reported here.

How it's done is  different from one browser to another.  Any time you want to know the steps to follow just go to your search engine and type in "how to delete cookies for [fll in browser name here]" and you'll find the steps for the most recent version of your browser.  hth!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

DooBoo thanks again.  DS just said I won't lose info. but might not be able to get back into sites if I don't remember the passwords.  Big obstacle, I never do!  Used to use one and since everyone screamed that wasn't safe, I varied the passwords.  So safe even from me because if I didn't bookmark or save the password, I can't get in either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desi wrote:

DooBoo thanks again.  DS just said I won't lose info. but might not be able to get back into sites if I don't remember the passwords.  Big obstacle, I never do!  Used to use one and since everyone screamed that wasn't safe, I varied the passwords.  So safe even from me because if I didn't bookmark or save the password, I can't get in either.

Hi, again, @Desi!  If your browser is set to save your passwords, clearing cookies has no effect on those and your login info is safe.  Sometimes on a site, if you also use the "remember me on this site" the login info is stored there, too, but that's more temporary and is affected when we delete cookies and website data.  In general, it's better not to rely on those "remember me" logins because if something goes awry you're going to lost those, anyway.  I never lose saved user ID/password info when I delete cookies, with Firefox, Chrome, or Safari (I never use IE).

Cookies frequently can get corrupted, which in turn causes any number of weird things on websites.  They're also involved in collecting things we might prefer not to have tracked and stored on our computer for various other sites to access.  That's why it's helpful to clear them now and then.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday - I couldn't access the boards either. 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@Desi wrote:

@dooBdoo is right, Desi. It won't have any effect on your accessing sites. Her info here is spot-on. I am impressed with her ability to make it very easy to follow.

I have had problems with certain sites that has been easily fixed by the steps she describes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland