Honored Contributor

Re: Could you do this?

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs  I care about my appearance.  I don't wear a lot of makeup but I do wear it when I go out.  My hair is salt & pepper but mostly salt on the top and pepper underneath.  I wear a short, stylish haircut.  I am not fond of long, long hair with no style.  BTW I always receive compliments on my hair color.  My hair is very healthy and shiny.  Over processed hair that is dry looks horrible and I have seen quite a few women with it.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I am in my mid 50s, and I don’t see myself giving up my beauty routines any time soon. Yes, I have changed a few things as I have grown older, but I do what I do because it makes me feel and/or look better. It doesn’t mean I am waging a war against aging. That is a battle none of us will win in the long term. 

I am not working right now so I am not wearing makeup as often. I still put on makeup, do my hair, and dress nicely if I am going to an appointment, errand, church, etc. I still highlight my hair and like getting a good haircut. My skincare is fairly simple - cleanse, BHA, Retin A, & sunscreen. 

My sisters are closer to 70. They still color their hair, use their favorite skin care products, etc. Our mother and aunt also continued their beauty routines until declining health just prevented it. I will probably do the same. 

Contributor

I had three kids and I did my hair and makeup for all three of them my doctor said you are always put togther LOL just not me to not look my best for what ever I am 54 and my kids and their friends say your the best looking Mum !! 

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I don't think anything ages a person more than gray hair or hair that is colored an obviously false color like bright red or dark brown/black.  I wish I didn't care about aging, but I do.  I have always been considered very pretty, and this aging thing has been much harder on me than I would have ever dreamed. I get my roots professionally colored every five weeks, use retin a/sunscreen, etc., use the Nuface and a light therapy device, and keep current with makeup and clothing.  I keep my weight at a lower range for my height.  I must be doing something right, because my new doctor told me to keep up what I'm doing, because I look 10 years younger than I am.  He said, "I see a lot of patients, so I'm a good one to judge."  Talk about making my day.  

That being said, how liberating and free it would feel to get out of the grind of coloring and fixing my hair, getting it cut short for easy maintenance, and not having to wear makeup.  How wonderful to just be able to drop whatever I'm doing and walk out the door to go somewhere without the hour and a half (or more) it takes to "look good."  I confess that there are sometimes I don't go somewhere or plan a lunch date with someone just because I don't want to have to go through fixing up.  Smiley Sad  

@Ainhisg  An hour and 1/2 ? That’s a lot of time to look “good”.  Any way to eliminate a few steps?

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Moderation in all things. I truly believe that you can go overboard in worrying and primping far beyond what's needed to be presentable to others or to feel good about yourself.

A cliche for sure, but I'd rather be remembered for so many other things that my appearance.

Oh, and the whole gray thing? I have my roots done every six weeks, but I cringe at gray hair being included in what is supposedly necessary to one's appearance.

@suzyQ3 Thank you. I’m getting so tired of grey hair=aging. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I use good skin care within reason.  I will not spend a fortune on it.  I use minimal makeup - usually just foundation.  And I have not bought into any of those anti aging devices.  Older women who can well afford the best of everything (actresses) still get wrinkles, so I doubt their effectiveness.  I do color my hair, but I don't think I will do that forever.  At some point I think I will let it go gray.

@Puppy Lips  I don’t have any devices either. I know I wouldn’t keep it up even if they did work eventually.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@dex, I agree with your words of wisdom 100%.  I am working on it, but it is hard when from my teens on (I am now 55),  I have looked a certain way to friends and family my whole life.  I do run to Wal-Mart or do other odds and ends with no make-up and a ball cap on...lol...and do hike and do my powerwalks in the same manner (think that's to be expected by most other exercisers), but as far as going somewhere where I'm going to see someone I know, I am having a difficult time simplifying my looks or routine.  

@Ainhisg Yes, it’s a tough transition. Only you can decide if you want to pare it down a little.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't care but none of my business.  If anyone is fine with no makeup or coloring their hair - great.  I know I love my skincare and makeup and I have never worn it to "influence" or "impress" anyone!!  I use skincare that works for me, put on my makeup and workout daily.  I look the same whether I am cleaning, mowing grass, going somewhere.  I like it and it is me and who I am!  I want to look and feel my best for me!!!!   However, all my friends and acquaintances who have quit using skincare and makeup and coloring or really doing their hair as well as even trying to workout all boo hoo about how awful and old they feel and have really quit doing much of anything.  That is what I don't get!  They don't have major health issues but look and act like women much older and often become stiff and immobile because of it.  Then they constantly complain about how awful their skin, hair and general looks are.  If they made the choice to not take care of themselves then accept it and don't constantly complain!

@Pook  ITA w/ your assessment of staying attractive and active, but please....I wish women would refrain from equating not coloring their hair with age. If you take a look around, more women than ever before have given up coloring their hair. We don’t look old. We look natural...for our age.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

I don't think anything ages a person more than gray hair or hair that is colored an obviously false color like bright red or dark brown/black.  I wish I didn't care about aging, but I do.  I have always been considered very pretty, and this aging thing has been much harder on me than I would have ever dreamed. I get my roots professionally colored every five weeks, use retin a/sunscreen, etc., use the Nuface and a light therapy device, and keep current with makeup and clothing.  I keep my weight at a lower range for my height.  I must be doing something right, because my new doctor told me to keep up what I'm doing, because I look 10 years younger than I am.  He said, "I see a lot of patients, so I'm a good one to judge."  Talk about making my day.  

That being said, how liberating and free it would feel to get out of the grind of coloring and fixing my hair, getting it cut short for easy maintenance, and not having to wear makeup.  How wonderful to just be able to drop whatever I'm doing and walk out the door to go somewhere without the hour and a half (or more) it takes to "look good."  I confess that there are sometimes I don't go somewhere or plan a lunch date with someone just because I don't want to have to go through fixing up.  Smiley Sad  

@Ainhisg  An hour and 1/2 ? That’s a lot of time to look “good”.  Any way to eliminate a few steps?

@Ainhisg - What about going to the grocery store, etc. 

Are you able to go out to places like that without makeup?  Places like that, I feel fine without wearing anything, but sunscreen.  Perhaps you can take baby steps and try going to a few low-keyed places not made and see how it feels?

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

Never. In my culture it's built-in.

I remember being told by my mother that one should never leave the house not looking your best.  Even if the same person sees you looking great the next day, the only image they will remember is when you looked unpresentable. She would keep tabs on my appearance and harshly criticize me if I looked less than perfect.

So, this is something I do without thinking. I don't walk around my building or neighborhood one way and when I go out another. I make sure I look nice anywhere I go. I hate it sometimes but I can't change it; it's part of who I am.

I don't agree that going gray means you've let yourself go. I've had greys since I was 20 and I had to begin coloring my hair all the time from 25 or so. I'm 31 and I'm tired. I see many beautiful women with chic hairstyles and grey hair in NYC all the time. Once I hit 50 or 55, I plan to go natural. I take really good care of both my skin and hair.

I believe when your hair is healthy the color is irrelevent.  My mom colors her hair a brash blond color and over time it looks dry and unnatural. My goal is to invest in skincare, treatments and take care of my hair so as I age I don't need a lot of effort to look beautiful so my life is easier.

@NycVixen  Happy you have a healthy view on your appearance and have made plans for future changes.