Honored Contributor

Could This Be a Pretty E/S Color?

My mother has always said colors like this makes a person's eyes look sick (as in not well).  I couldn't help myself.  I saw some videos and personally I didn't get "sick" vibes from it.  It's from MAC's last year's Christmas Frosted Fireworks Collection.  I checked my palettes before buying it and the closest I had was in a Huda New Nudes palette but nothing close enough.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Could This Be a Pretty E/S Color?

It's a beautiful color.  I have blue eyes and have found that some pink/red shades really make my eyes pop and others do make me look a little sickly. 

I usually make sure I use Lumify eye drops which really get the red out before I use this type of shade.  I've found that if my eyes are bloodshot at all from my allergies then this kind of color can be harder to wear.

Esteemed Contributor

It looks like a pretty cheek or lipstick color to me.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I think it all depends on your coloring (and what you are comfortable with). This is a beautiful, bold color! 

I wouldn't wear it myself, but at 66 y/o, gray hair, dark brown eyes/lashes/brows, fair skin, I do sometimes use a very soft, silvery rose on my lids (Laura Geller's Platinum Rose, got it in a palette, don't know if it comes as a single). It's actually a blush, but too pale for my cheeks. It brightens up my old eyes nicely, though!

Everyone should wear the colors that THEY feel good wearing!

Honored Contributor

Red shadows are complexion dependent and using the right shade is key. A good concealer, a nude lip and it can look good.

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

My mother has always said colors like this makes a person's eyes look sick (as in not well).  I couldn't help myself.  I saw some videos and personally I didn't get "sick" vibes from it.  It's from MAC's last year's Christmas Frosted Fireworks Collection.  I checked my palettes before buying it and the closest I had was in a Huda New Nudes palette but nothing close enough.

I have blue eyes and any shadow this color makes me look like I've been crying. I can't wear it, ever.

Honored Contributor

I believe both of my sisters would have worn that color very well.  My mother was so fair, I believe she would have been overwhelmed by it, and I have such strong oranginess in my complexion I would definitely look sick.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes eye shadow colors are too red, and the person does indeed look sick or like they've been crying.  A soft pink is OK and does not give this effect.  The picture in the OP could go either way, I think, hard to say for sure.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I have blue eyes and that pink color just makes me look like my allergies are kicking up. A much nicer color for blues is an orangey/peach/copper color. Makes them pop. If you go to a color wheel the best colors to accentuate your eyes are the colors opposite your eye color.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm I bought this one! I love these colors.

Mac Cranberry is my favorite. I love to do a neutral eye, smudge this along the lash line & then use a thin line of dark brown right on the lash line. It keeps the red away from your eye, but gives you that gorgeous color. 

It makes my eyes look really green. 

Firewerk The Room is actually more copper looking because of the metallic sheen.

I have a lot of "red" & red brown eyeshadows. 

To line or in the crease or outer corner, they are really pretty & not rabbity looking.