Esteemed Contributor

Coty considering divesting beauty assets

Coty, which bought up some of Proctor and Gamble's beauty assets a couple of years ago is now thinking of divesting some of their companies.

https://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/beauty-features/coty-said-considering-divestitures-as-part-of-t...

This WWD article is behind a paywall, but you can read the text of the article if you look at the page source. Using a chrome browser, when on the WWD page, right mouse click anywhere on the page that is blank and scroll down to view page source and click on that. Then you can read the article in text form.

view-source:https://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/beauty-features/coty-said-considering-divestitures-...

Frankly it doesn't surprise me that Coty's aquisition of P&G beauty brands like Covergirl and Clairol hasn't gone well. Post aquisition, I think Coty ruined my favorite hair color brand Nice n' Easy by reformulating the product. They have also ruined the Clairol brand Natural Instincts too, IMO, by reformulating it as well. I never see people buying these hair color brands anymore.

And Covergirl just seems like it's gotten somewhat stale. The new makeup launches seem pretty far and few between and I never see Covergirl ads for new products except in stores when they have new endcap displays.

Honored Contributor

Re: Coty considering divesting beauty assets

Neither Coty nor P&G are cruelty free, so I won't buy their products, but that's just me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

A lot of mass market brands (drugstore) are struggling to continue to grow and compete with the ever changing landscape of beauty.  New brands are always coming on the scene and we, the consumers are so much more knowledgeable and have higher expectations even when shopping for lower priced products. The concept of how products ar sold in the drugstore seems dated because not being able to test and feel is not inviting.  Some drugstore brands now do have testers available for foundations.

I think Coty will find a buyer willing to take a chance on two classic drugstore brands as Clairol and Covergirl are.  Coty doesn't market these brands properly to contend with the likes of mass market brands like NYX, Maybelline, L'Oreal, and Garnier.  Perhaps updating the brands with new products, and definitely new ad campaigns, will help reinvent them to be competitive again. 

Honored Contributor

I hate when companies buy out other companies and change ingredients (cheaper ones) and think women will not notice.  I was using Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer for over 4 years and then the co. was sold and the tinted moisturizer oxidized on me and I knew something was wrong.  And, now I noticed they are changing their blush and other products and probably losing a lot of customers.  Serves them right.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Coty has ruined every beauty brand they have acquired, especially Philosophy.

I will never forgive them for ruining AG and will buy nothing from their brands. Complete lack of quality and integrity.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I agree with you.  It seams to me when a company buys out another; it seems to me like they ruin the company.

Trusted Contributor

Cover Girl is cruelty free.

Trusted Contributor

@TY wrote:

Coty, which bought up some of Proctor and Gamble's beauty assets a couple of years ago is now thinking of divesting some of their companies.

https://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/beauty-features/coty-said-considering-divestitures-as-part-of-t...

This WWD article is behind a paywall, but you can read the text of the article if you look at the page source. Using a chrome browser, when on the WWD page, right mouse click anywhere on the page that is blank and scroll down to view page source and click on that. Then you can read the article in text form.

view-source:https://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/beauty-features/coty-said-considering-divestitures-...

Frankly it doesn't surprise me that Coty's aquisition of P&G beauty brands like Covergirl and Clairol hasn't gone well. Post aquisition, I think Coty ruined my favorite hair color brand Nice n' Easy by reformulating the product. They have also ruined the Clairol brand Natural Instincts too, IMO, by reformulating it as well. I never see people buying these hair color brands anymore.

And Covergirl just seems like it's gotten somewhat stale. The new makeup launches seem pretty far and few between and I never see Covergirl ads for new products except in stores when they have new endcap displays.

So that's what happened to my Natural Instincts!! 

Contributor

Coty, Covergirl's parent co., is not cruel-free therefore CG should NOT be regarded as cruel-FREE.
Respected Contributor

Estee Lauder is famous for ruining most (or all) of the brands they've purchased.  The newbies wouldn't know,  but those long time users prior to their take over, know immediately.  SHAME.