Respected Contributor

This has probably been answered many times on the forums but I can't easily find it. Wondering why a company buys out a very successful company then changes formulas from what was working. I'm speaking directly to Coty and Philosophy but I imagine it happens frequently. Seems to me that if a product is so successful that a company would want to buy the other company, they'd do everything to keep the original products. I don't pretend to know anything about retail business and am asking a genuine question. I miss the old Philosophy products and the wonderful scents they used to have. If I had a product I worked hard to produce and put my all into, no matter how much a company would pay me, it would bother me that the products are now not the same calibre. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Coty Buyout of Philosophy

Could be they want to manufacture a new and improved line. Could be to save money. Who knows?

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

This has probably been answered many times on the forums but I can't easily find it. Wondering why a company buys out a very successful company then changes formulas from what was working. I'm speaking directly to Coty and Philosophy but I imagine it happens frequently. Seems to me that if a product is so successful that a company would want to buy the other company, they'd do everything to keep the original products. I don't pretend to know anything about retail business and am asking a genuine question. I miss the old Philosophy products and the wonderful scents they used to have. If I had a product I worked hard to produce and put my all into, no matter how much a company would pay me, it would bother me that the products are now not the same calibre. 

I agree with you, but don't know the answer.

I'm also disappointed in Philosophy and no longer buy.  Maybe if these companies go out of business they will take a hint.  I doubt it though.

Frequent Contributor

In the era of "clean beauty", to make the products without the "bad stuff".  
Many of Christina Carlino's formulas had ingredients deemed undesirable by today's standards. 

Esteemed Contributor

I assume the buyer wishes to expand the customer base while simultaneously using cheaper ingredients.

Seems to work at times, like IT or Paula's or Tatcha.

Honored Contributor

Late 2010

Coty, Inc.acquired philosophy from The Carlyle Group in late 2010 in a deal that was valued at approximately $1 billion. One of the goals of this acquisition was to expand the Coty portfolio with an entry into the luxury skin care market.
Founded:1996

@Carolina925   Pretty "old news"........probably why you couldn't find it.  di
♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi , gosh I didn't realize it had been that long! Guess that explains how I got so old, I've been missing some years Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

@Desertdi , gosh I didn't realize it had been that long! Guess that explains how I got so old, I've been missing some years Woman Very Happy

@Carolina925    I didn't realize today was Friday.....until I turned on the TV.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi , when I forget what day it is, I just say it must not be important. Seems I'm in good company here Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925& @Desertdi 

Your posts made me laugh and glad to hear we have company. I misspoke on the day of the week on a post and fellow poster made fun of it with a side eye cat gif and asked what planet I was on. Your posts are more fun lol, easy to mix up the days especially this last year.