Respected Contributor

Cosmetics with newly reduced scent??

I miss the ole Philosophy with the "staying scents," also

So what's their point??  I dont use it more, just to get a "less staying power scent!"

Is "scent" a particularly expensive ingredient in products??

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cosmetics with newly reduced scent??

[ Edited ]

Hi, @MakeUpMaidn !  Unfortunately, my take on this is that when a large company, such as Coty buying Philosophy, that the change in scent is a cost-reduction measure.  You can also see it in the packaging-I still have a full bottle of Amazing Grace post-Coty acquisition that won't dispense.  

It's a business strategy: start a brand that catches fire, then sell it to the highest buyer.  The new owner plays the cost-reduction game.  We've seen it over and over again.  Recently, Tatcha and Unilever.  I saw the same pattern in the business I retired from.

Honored Contributor

Some perfume "fixatives" have been banned for ethical reasons (animal based).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Makeup companies like Lancome and Estee Lauder have stong scents in the skincare. it's a turn off for me.

Trusted Contributor

@MJDinVegas Oh no, Tatcha was bought out? I really loved their products. Bummer, as mentioned, when a company is bought out the products historically become inferior. Fingers crossed it remains with the same integrity as it began. 

Honored Contributor

The fragrance debate (sigh).  I adore fragrance in my skincare.  Some don't.  It's the squeaky wheel syndrome.  According to some skincare YTers I watch, today's fragrances are reformulated and not the issue they could have been.  If something is supposed to be scented, like a body wash and it's less fragrant now, I would tend to think it's a cost cutting measure.  Just like with so many other things.  How long has it been since you've had an Oreo?  Today's double stuffed Oreos now have the filling (or less) than that of a regular Oreo of 30 years ago.  Anywhere companies can cut corners (AND increase the price) they do/are.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @cjm61! Not sure why this is all underlined-sorry!

I use the rice powder from Tatcha and the packaging has changed-smaller jar with same amount by weight but the dispenser makes it very easy to pour out too much, perhaps to make us use it faster.  The powder itself is not as finely milled/even in texture-not sure if this makes a difference, but definitely noticeable at least to me.