Super Contributor

Cosmetics in plastic tubes or jars, safe?

Now that almost all cosmetics are in plastic tubes or jars I wonder if the chemicals from them will leach into the product if stored for a long time. Most cosmetics now say two or three years unopened and one year opened. I love glass jars for creams but they have almost disappeared. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cosmetics in plastic tubes or jars, safe?

@cozyseeker wrote:

Now that almost all cosmetics are in plastic tubes or jars I wonder if the chemicals from them will leach into the product if stored for a long time. Most cosmetics now say two or three years unopened and one year opened. I love glass jars for creams but they have almost disappeared. What do you think?

@cozyseeker   Interesting question. I'm assuming the  skincare/cosmetic lines did research on that a long time ago. Many cosmetics are now packaged in plastic containers. My skincare comes in glass jars. I save the smaller sizes and transfer product to them so I don't keep dipping into the larger containers. 

I'd think there's more concern about food items packed in plastic (if that). Those are ingested. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The main chemical of concern in plastic is pthalates. Look for "pthalate-free" in the description of products you're interested in. Products that tout themselves as Clean Beauty are often pthalate free as well.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/what-are-phthalates#1 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I don't keep cosmetics for years, even if it has not been opened.  When I buy something, I use it and I use it up in less than a year.  Regardless of the packaging, I stick with the old standard.  If it something is a year old, I toss it.   Having said that, I have faith that cosmetic companies know how to design their packaging.

Honored Contributor

I've reached my quota on things to worry about and refuse to take on an additional burden.  This, compared to others, is a very small concern.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

This is not something that concerns me at all. I don't buy and store skincare items. I gave up on auto-delivery programs because i end up storing and tossing expired items. I purchase what I need and when I need it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be more concerned with bacteria in cosmetics cause by dipping fingers and brushes that have been used previously.

When I went to cosmology school, the first thing we learned was to use disposable implements to get creams out of jars and q-tips or disposable applicators to apply cosmetics and not to double dip.

Cosmetics in tubes will not become contaminated as easily and are better and safer to use.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't worry about plastic containers either. I don't particularly want glass containers in my bathroom either  if there is a possibility of a container slipping out of my hands and dropping on the counter or floor and breaking.

My pet peeve is skin care in jar packaging. I dislike getting stuff under my fingernails and I hate the feeling of sticking my hands into jars of goo.

Honored Contributor

Plastic containers have allowed for more affordable shipping costs. Glass containers are heavy and with anything stored in glass, there is also higher risk of breakage then leaking. I don't want that. What I want is more refillable/reusable type containers so we can reduce plastic pollution.

Honored Contributor

I once broke a heavy glass jar of a Perlier product on the tile floor of a motel room.  After cleaning up the shattered shards I became very relieved when most companies switched to plastic containers.