Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cosmetics Rated for Harmful Chemicals

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess -- there was an article in our local newspaper about the discovery of one possible harmful chemical in all cosmetics -- and that particular chemical has been in cosmetics (mainly lipsticks and waterproof mascaras) since the dawn of time, but is not listed on most ingredient lists.  I read the article, but didn't memorize it.  I assume since I've been using cosmetics for most of my 72 years, it's too late for me!   Save yourselves!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@Icegoddess -- there was an article in our local newspaper about the discovery of one possible harmful chemical in all cosmetics -- and that particular chemical has been in cosmetics (mainly lipsticks and waterproof mascaras) since the dawn of time, but is not listed on most ingredient lists.  I read the article, but didn't memorize it.  I assume since I've been using cosmetics for most of my 72 years, it's too late for me!   Save yourselves!

Think you are referring to PFAS.  These have been used for years, and it's just now that we are hearing about their presence in our cosmetics.

Cosmetics are largely unregulated, unfortunately.  I guess people are assuming that if something is widely available, it must be safe, but that's not always true.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I had two different doctors tell me that we only absorb 1% of what we put on our skin. Dunno if I believe it. But if it's bad, I don't want even 1% of it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I had two different doctors tell me that we only absorb 1% of what we put on our skin. Dunno if I believe it. But if it's bad, I don't want even 1% of it.

@Judaline  I'm not sure I believe it's only 1% either.  But even if that's accurate, it doesn't take into account the fact that we ingest lipstick as we are wearing it, and that cosmetics that go around our eyes can wind up in our eyes (especially during removal).  

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline  I'm not sure I believe it's only 1% either.  But even if that's accurate, it doesn't take into account the fact that we ingest lipstick as we are wearing it, and that cosmetics that go around our eyes can wind up in our eyes (especially during removal).  

True.

@mistriTsquirrel o/t for a moment:  I thought you might like to see what my daughter gave me for mother's day:

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

True.

@mistriTsquirrel o/t for a moment:  I thought you might like to see what my daughter gave me for mother's day:

@Judaline  Awww, nice!!!

I love it!!  Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chessylady wrote:

I found this educational website ewg.org. It rates many personal care products regarding harmful chemicals found in the products. Beekman gets a 3 out of 10 with 1 being the best for their soap bars. This site also includes more than just personal care products. EWG stands for environmental working group. I need more information on how what I put on my skin affects my health. You are free to just skip this post if you are uninterested in this info.

@chessylady I often use this site. There are a couple of other ones I also use. The stuff we put on us is not very good for us or for the environment. 

Ingredients A-Z, INCII Decoder, Cosmetic Ingredient Dictiinary, CosDNA, Skincarisma are a few of the other sites. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

i use this site, among others, when I'm evaluating ingredients.

I saw a very simple statement on the crawl of GMA the other morning which stated 50% of cosmetics were found to contain toxic ingredients.  Since it was the crawl, there was no explanation or any pointer as to how to get more information.

@Icegoddess,  I believe this article addresses the crawl statement you referenced.   A bill has been or is about to be presented to stop the practice.  It is called the No PFAS in Cosmetics Act

A New Study Found High Levels of Toxic 'Forever Chemicals' In 120 Cosmetic Products   news.yahoo.com/study-found-high-levels-toxic-163250990.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.