Respected Contributor

Cosmetics Rated for Harmful Chemicals

I found this educational website ewg.org. It rates many personal care products regarding harmful chemicals found in the products. Beekman gets a 3 out of 10 with 1 being the best for their soap bars. This site also includes more than just personal care products. EWG stands for environmental working group. I need more information on how what I put on my skin affects my health. You are free to just skip this post if you are uninterested in this info.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cosmetics Rated for Harmful Chemicals

I've been using their website as a resource for years. Good info.

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady  Thank you for posting this. I was not aware of their website, but will certainly visit soon!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

i use this site, among others, when I'm evaluating ingredients.

I saw a very simple statement on the crawl of GMA the other morning which stated 50% of cosmetics were found to contain toxic ingredients.  Since it was the crawl, there was no explanation or any pointer as to how to get more information.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @chessylady I also had not heard of this website but will visit it soon.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting.  Much thanks.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suggest you do some research about this group and find out if the information is the go-to for you or not.  There are just some pros and cons that might be important to some. 

There is so much written now, that I always check sources so I know who they are, funding sources, data sources, etc. 

Regular Contributor

Well stated, @Sooner  I decided a long time ago that I felt it was inappropriate to automatically give what they say much weight.

Honored Contributor

@juperier3 wrote:

Well stated, @Sooner  I decided a long time ago that I felt it was inappropriate to automatically give what they say much weight.

@juperier3 I think now it is especially important to consider sources because so many have agendas and biases that color information--even if some of it is good to know.  

Regular Contributor

@Sooner  I totally agree. All sides involved are going to have some level of agenda and/or bias. Might be because they're promoting a product. Might be because they're trying to gather donations, Might be because they're trying to counter-balance other info. Might be because they lack enough background in the field to realize what they are saying is anecdotal.The truth is almost guaranteed to fall somewhere in the middle, and likely involves a whole bunch of potential variables.