Esteemed Contributor

Cosmetic companies and social media gaffes

What is with beauty and cosmetic companies posting social media gaffes?

First you get Too Faced Cosmetics (which is owned by Estee Lauder) founder and creative director Jerrod Blandino having to post a message on the Too Faced Cosmetics social media account disavowing his sister Lisa Blandino's shady post against Nikkitutorials (a big beauty influencer who came out as a trans woman) and firing his sister from Too Faced Cosmetics.

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/15/21065520/nikkietutorials-coming-out-too-faced-backlash

Now you have the president of Estee Lauder, John Demsey posting a meme comparing Meghan Markle to Yoko Ono on his personal instagram and the post was liked by Estee Lauder's global beauty director Violette via her personal instagram. I think Demsey deleted the instagram post due to backlash, but the post was screen captured and featured on the Estee Laundry instagram page. Estee Laundry regularly calls out beauty and fashion companies and brands for bad behavior. Take a look for yourself

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7YDSxaH2D-/

How stupid does the corporate president and beauty director of Estee Lauder have to be to post ****** like this? The meme isn't remotely funny at all. 

Meghan has been a big user of Estee Lauder owned brands like Bobbi Brown. I'll just bet that she won't be using any Estee Lauder brands again.

Regular Contributor

Re: Cosmetic companies and social media gaffes

I suppose that was each of the aforementioned's opinions and I care about their opinions about as much as I care that Meghan Markle wears Estee Lauder or whatever!  

Honored Contributor

I don't know, I don't think people care what these VIPs think or say about anything. If women like their products and can't live without them, it won't matter. Until you posted this, I knew nothing about it. Who do these people think they are, they should just be blown off.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Although, yes, there was a time when companies wanted NO controversy, it sounds as if the OP would accommodate companies posting on social platforms as long as long as they're offending those she disagrees with.

IOW, that pic is only a social media gaffe...to those who don't find it funny.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote:
Although, yes, there was a time when companies wanted NO controversy, it sounds as if the OP would accommodate companies posting on social platforms as long as long as they're offending those she disagrees with.

IOW, that pic is only a social media gaffe...to those who don't find it funny.

I stopped buying Too Faced when Jerrod Blandino posted a "Rich Lives Matter" cake on his social media at the end of 2018 and I decluttered 2 Natural Matte eyeshadows from the brand. I think Estee Lauder should have fired him back then and I won't support that brand or buy Too Faced anymore.

I stopped buying The Ordinary (which is partially owned by Estee Lauder) when the former owner Brandon Truaxe took over The Ordinary's social media account and started posting inappropriate content on there and firing employees nilly willy. It wasn't until Estee Lauder took him to court and kicked him out that I started to buy from the brand again.

I'm just not going to support cosmetic companies that are jerks. I am definitely rethinking buying any more Clinique products as they are an Estee Lauder brand.