Valued Contributor

Cosmetic Saleswomen-Looking the part.

As I have mentioned in previous posts that many saleswomen don’t seem to be a good fit for their position. I know some have mentioned to having tattoos but that seen as artistic and I can think that would be suitable for MAC. As I recalled when I was younger the saleswomen would look polished for the brands they represented. I also know they had training in case NYC. I also mentioned how a Clinique saleswoman told me they had to have short nails with little to no color, the hair had to be a certain length if I recall correctly and had perfectly applied makeup. The same for the woman who worked Dior, she wore a full face of makeup but applied expertly. I know if I was hiring a person to work in cosmetics I would want someone who would inspire customers to buy into the brand. I think it’s lost its glamorous appeal of the joys of shopping at the cosmetics department. I even see a young woman who works for Chanel and not wearing a stitch of makeup. I know I’m not really comfortable asking about suggestions and techniques when the person doesn’t look the part. As a customer I want to feel excited to shop and feel confident I’m getting good advice.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cosmetic Saleswomen-Looking the part.

[ Edited ]

So you previously posted this you say, and you are posting again. What is your point doing so? I missed it.

Valued Contributor

I went into more detail and I thought women from around the country could share if they are experiencing the same thing as well. It’s sad that a once enjoyable experience has deteriorated to the point where we know more than the saleswoman who work these counters. I’m sorry if my post seemed repetitive to you. I thought I could post my opinion with a sense of camaraderie I thought I had with the beauty forum.
Esteemed Contributor

Makeup is just not worth getting so upset about.  The world may have changed and it is fine to just enjoy a new generation's take.  Who knows, maybe we will new ways better?

Honored Contributor

I never asked for help at a makeup counter, in fact I buy makeup in the drug store. 

Respected Contributor

I couldn't care less how the salesperson looks, in fact one of my favorite salespersons is a man  gasp and he wears some makeup himself...gasp.

Honored Contributor

This is the sad sad reality of the world we live in today and it seems to affect all walks of life and all types of businesses. No matter where you go, people just don't seem to care about their appearance. They don't care enough to put forth an effort to be presentable.  And I understand the word presentable means different things to different people. I care enough to want to represent myself the best I can on the inside and outside.  You don't need money to wear a smile and clean unwrinkled clothes.  It won't cost you a dime to reach out and help someone that needs a hand. It's free to look someone in the eye and say thank you, have a good day. And yes if I were hiring sales ladies to sell cosmetics, they would most definitely look the part with their makeup, hair and clothes. If they don't like it, they don't have to work there. The one phrase I detest as much as "I identify as" is "I don't care".  The next time you're out and about and the person you're dealing with does their job with a smile on their face and might even go above and beyond, give them a hearty "thank you very much, I really appreciate it".

I'm sorry if that veered a little bit off topic, it's just something that breaks my heart to see happening.

Respected Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67  I understand your point. I  too remember when big brand makeup

saleswomen were put together very nicely, salesmen wore ties, we dressed to go the theater. That world is gone. Women walk around in tights that almost see through and ill fitting tops and slippers. Yuck. It's a messy society now. 

Valued Contributor

That’s not my point. I enjoy going to the cosmetics department to see new things and be inspired by new products. If just think that you are the brand ambassador you should look the part. The cosmetics saleswoman on the shopping networks look polished and demonstrate the quality and purposes of their products. You wouldn’t have a slob in fashion showing off clothes nor would you have an overweight person representing a diet program. In fact many years ago I went to Jenny Craig to lose weight. The girl who was assisting me was overweight herself so she really wasn’t a good advertisement for the line.
Trusted Contributor

Times have changed and the era that you described is long gone.