Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Coral Nail Polish

[ Edited ]

I was sitting in the beauty salon waiting for my haircut and reading an article about colors for summer nail polish.  This article stated that Coral was the best color for fair skin no matter what.  I have fair skin and blue eyes, I have always thought that Coral was too orange for me and have always leaned towards pinks and berries.  My girlfriend is fair skinned, reddish blonde hair, green eyes and wears Corals all of the time...lips and nails.  She always looks beautiful.  Even though I have dark hair and blue eyes, I am always drawn to the Coral shades first, but never buy them.  Are there colors that fair, brunette, blue eyed women should never wear?

Valued Contributor

I always take with a grain of salt those articles that claim a certain color or style is for "Everybody."  At best, they work for "Most."  I know I can't wear a lot of things that are supposed to work for everyone. 

That said, there are a lot of different shades that fall into the general category of "Coral."  I would shop for a nail polish that is a soft coral color, leaning a little closer to the pink end of the spectrum than the orange.  Also I find lightly frosted shades are easier to wear because they are not as intense as the mattes.  Don't invest a lot of money, but give it a try, or you will never know.  The other thing you can do is to get a gold-dust top-coat to put over your pink shades.  It will slightly warm it up, without making it orange-ish.

I have fair skin with cool undertones and green eyes.  Like you, I prefer the cooler tones, but I can do corals if they are not too not too intensely orange.

Good luck!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

Re: Coral Nail Polish

[ Edited ]

Coral shades range from red corals to pink corals to (cooler) tangerine corals to orange corals.

And are present in every sunrise and sunset. Smiley Happy

I'm a fair-skinned brunette with green eyes and it's one of my faves in everything, including home decor.

They're flattering to every skin tone, and bring a warm rosiness to makeup, accessories, and clothing. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I avoided any shade of coral or orange for years because I thought with my cool coloring (light brown hair, very fair skin, and blue eyes) it just wasn't for me.  But then I fell in love with rose gold jewelry so added some coral/salmon/orange-toned colors to my wardrobe.  I just stay away from anything that is too dark or the burnt orange colors.

That led me to peach/coral blush, eye shadows, lipstick, and nail polish to coordinate with my clothing, and it looks good on me.  I especially like wearing these colors in the spring and summer.  I say if you have my coloring give it a try, it just might look good on you too. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Quinny, I agree with Shiraz. There are many shades in every color category. Some will work better than others. Coral is supposed to be a color that most can wear and you should be able to find several coral polishes that work with your skin tone. Start with a few of the relatively inexpensive drugstore polishes. Pick up a couple when they're on sale and wear them for a day or two so you have a chance to get used to a new color nextt to your skin. If you find a shade you like, but don't like the formula and/or finish, you at least have a starting point when looking at more expensive polishes.

Personally, I've found that I can wear many colors on my nails that I couldn't pull off as a predominant clothing color. It's all a matter of finding the right shade.

Edited to add that I also agree with feline groovy and soonersis....

Honored Contributor

I LOVE coral polish on me! Just found a terrific Essie polish called Peachside Babe. Saw it advertised in a magazine and had to get it! Its beautiful on!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@quinny wrote:

I was sitting in the beauty salon waiting for my haircut and reading an article about colors for summer nail polish.  This article stated that Coral was the best color for fair skin no matter what.  I have fair skin and blue eyes, I have always thought that Coral was too orange for me and have always leaned towards pinks and berries.  My girlfriend is fair skinned, reddish blonde hair, green eyes and wears Corals all of the time...lips and nails.  She always looks beautiful.  Even though I have dark hair and blue eyes, I am always drawn to the Coral shades first, but never buy

them.  Are there colors that fair, brunette, blue eyed women should never wear?

My comments to your post is why do you let ANYONE, in print or in person, dictate what color you should wear?  There IS NO 'SHOULD" !!!

Good grief, I assume you are an adult so purchase and wear what YOU like and forget any other opinion in this land !

I worry if you can't decide about a nail enamel color, what other decisions do you allow people to make in your behalf, and are you happy ?

Pick a color that YOU love and just wear it happily !   Heart

Honored Contributor

I wear whatever I want. Am shocked when I hear so called beauty experts say  that only certain people can wear certain colors--if you like it--wear it!!! Right now I am obsessed with cajun shrimp by OPI. It's on my toes. But next time I get a pedi, who knows what it will be. Whatever catches my eye will be on my toes.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just saw this thread and wanted to say that I'm currently wearing Essie "Tart Deco" and it's a beautiful light coral.  I think this would look great on just about any skintone.

tart deco - always in style essie looks

Honored Contributor

I'm fair and love coral nail polish. I'm more neutral and wear pink corals and orange corals, but tend to prefer the pink-leaning corals for my nails. I also love turquoise and live to wear coral and turquoise polish together.

I love Essie Cute as a Button with Essie Turquoise & Caicos.