Honored Contributor

Re: Cool or Neutral Tone Corals

Yes, there are cool toned coral shades. I can't wear peach though, it's too pastel. But I also don't have blonde hair or blue eyes. Black hair and green eyes with very pale skin here. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Quinny. I learned to "do colors/seasons " in the 90's, and there are a lot of know-nothing hacks out there who only know their way around the basics. 

The leading determing factor is the undertone of your skin and natural hair color, viewed without makeup, in natural daylight. (Not direct sun, not grey stormy sky, just a nice bright day.)

That requires a consultation that's unlike what happens in home parties or at the makeup counter in department stores.

Without seeing you, and going strictly by your post, I'd guess you are either a Spring, mistakenly classed as a Summer, or a true Summer who's neutral enough to able to wear a few Spring colors very well. (That's ME, so I know about this.)

Were you described as being a blonde child? Or was your hair always considered "brown"? I find most people expect blonds to have light colored hair. Medium blond and dark blond can appear quite brown, especially with cool ash undertones. Your adult "brown" hair color may actually be a darker shade of ash blond. (Hair colorists can confirm this.) Hopefully you haven't let someone convince you to color your hair "across the line".  Sometimes you'll see a cool undertone person with very warm haircolor that "fights" them rather than compliments their overall look.

In the end, it's not which color is "good" and which is "bad".  Its a matter of "Which color is better?"

Drape a cool pink over one shoulder and a warm pink over the other. Ask friends to look at you outside and help you determine which is more flattering to you. Pull one color around to frame your face, then the other. Take  your time

Next, leave the cool pink and drape the other shoulder with coral. In both cases you're comparing cool to warm.  Ask, Which looks better on you. This is just a start.

It's looking like the font or size has changed by itself again!  It's an incompatibility issue and it refuses to let me correct it. Sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny, i forgot to add, while like you, coral is NOT in my palette of best colors, I LIKE corals, but never wore any corals until recent years when I found some that were barely over the "watermelon" line into coral. There is very little orange in the coral I can wear.

Still, if I bring ANY coral/peach orange tone to my lip or cheek, or apply ANY warm undertoned makeup,  I look like death warmed-over.

Plus, my hair and eyes fight with what's on my face.

I wear a few barely-coral items,

away from my face, and enjoy the color by using it in my wardrobe as coral buttons, a bracelet, warm weather capris and shorts, handbag.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny   NARS has made a fortune and won all awards every year for his famous pinky/peach/coral looks great on everyone blush "orgasm". There's also a gloss and maybe a lipcolor (not sure). The blush looks great on fair/light skin whether wearing pink or coral.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Quinny   NARS has made a fortune and won all awards every year for his famous pinky/peach/coral looks great on everyone blush "orgasm". There's also a gloss and maybe a lipcolor (not sure). The blush looks great on fair/light skin whether wearing pink or coral.

@ShanusI LOVE this blush!  I got a sample in a magazine.  It's been a favorite of models like Kate Moss and others for several decades!  I think anyone can wear it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Becca "Flowerchild" blush that I posted a pic of earlier in this thread is almost identical to an "Orgasm," :-) -- although not as shimmery. It's a more subtle glow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  ITA - there is orangy coral and rosy coral. I can only wear the rosy coral shades - but when I find one and wear it - I love how it  looks. Years ago I bought a coral necklace from Lee Sands - it is my perfect coral shade - no orange to it at all.

My Mom was Italian heritage and had that beautiful Italian coloring - olive skin and brown eyes and hair. She looked gorgeous in any shade of yellow or orange. On the other hand - I inherited my Dad's red hair and pale coloring with light green eyes - and can't wear yellow or orange at all.

Contributor

Hello youngjude -

What the SA or Color Typing experts are neglecting to mention to you, is that both Coral and Turquoise are designated as universal colors.  Meaning that both colors are a combination of cool & warm tones & look good on most people.

This is why in years gone by they were selected as perfect colors for bridesmaid dresses because they flattered everyone.   You also have to take color typing with a grain of salt.

You could have a cool toned skin but have green eyes that have both cool colors & flecks of khaki or gold in them & therefore you may look good in in olive green, which is not a cool color.   I hope this helps with the confusion.

Esteemed Contributor

With your brown hair and blue eyes, it seems that coral would be perfect for you.  Like others have said, there are different shades of coral - yellow corals, blue corals -  and you need to experiment and find the one that works for you. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your helpful advice!  I realize I'm not alone in my frustration.  All of your solutions and suggestions are most helpful and much appreciated!!