Trusted Contributor

For the past 45 years nearly every makeup SA has told me I have a light/cool toned or neutral toned complexion.  

I went to a couple of those in home "parties" where color consultants find your "best" colors.  I have always been drawn to the color, coral. All of the makeup SAs and color consultants have told me, "You CAN'T wear coral, you have blue eyes, brown hair and light skin!"

Well, I have a coral jacket, 2 coral sweaters and a coral button up shirt.  I NEVER receive so many "that color looks GREAT on you" compliments as when I wear one of my coral pieces.

Is there such a thing as cool or neutral toned coral lipstick and blush.  I love the colors I've seen, but have never purchased any because I have been duly warned to STAY AWAY.

What's the deal?  I need you my friends who have always given me the best advice to help me out!  THANK YOU!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cool or Neutral Tone Corals

@QuinnyMy experience with most department store reps and with most party reps is that they have no idea what color I should wear.  Maybe that's true for you, too.  If you love your look in corals, wear them.  Just be careful in your choices.

Esteemed Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

For the past 45 years nearly every makeup SA has told me I have a light/cool toned or neutral toned complexion.  

I went to a couple of those in home "parties" where color consultants find your "best" colors.  I have always been drawn to the color, coral. All of the makeup SAs and color consultants have told me, "You CAN'T wear coral, you have blue eyes, brown hair and light skin!"

Well, I have a coral jacket, 2 coral sweaters and a coral button up shirt.  I NEVER receive so many "that color looks GREAT on you" compliments as when I wear one of my coral pieces.

Is there such a thing as cool or neutral toned coral lipstick and blush.  I love the colors I've seen, but have never purchased any because I have been duly warned to STAY AWAY.

What's the deal?  I need you my friends who have always given me the best advice to help me out!  THANK YOU!! 

Yes and yes!

I should think that coral would look especially pretty on you with your blue eyes, as orange & blue are opposites on the color wheel, which means they are complimentary.

I have that cool-neutral skin tone (brown eyes & hair) and I favor cool coral lip & blush.

Here is an Edward Bess that I love, called Capri.

And a Maybelline lipstick, Shocking Coral (though I can also wear the electric orange.)

https://www.maybelline.com/lip-makeup/lipstick/color-sensational-vivids-lipcolor/shocking-coral

Honored Contributor

Yes, there are!

I'm neutral and love corals. 

For blushes, my favorites are from Tarte's Amazonian Clay line. I really like Blissful and Fearless. Blissful is described as a Rose on their site, but I think it's a peachier shade than rose. Fearless is a pinky coral. Tipsy is also a lovely coral, but it's definitely on the warmer side.

If you like cream blushes, I really like Bobbi Brown's Pot Rouge in Calypso Coral or Becca Beach Tints in Graprefruit and Guava. Grapefruit is warmer, but works well on a neutral. Guava is a pinker version.

MAC's Coral Bliss is a pretty coral on the cool side, as is Costa Chic. NARS Velvet Gloss lip pencil in Happy Days is also pretty. It's one of those fat lip crayons and has a gold shimmer, but it's not too warm. Unfortunately, I think most of my coral lip colors are discontinued.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Quinny

Oh boy, I can speak from experience here .....   first, mentally picture a shade of orangey-coral .....  and then one of rosy-coral.   The rosy coral has gotten me more compliments than any other shade, both in clothing and a great rosy coral lip color.   It really brightens me up.   Go for rosy-coral.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you have the perfect complexion for corals or peaches.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm light-medium neutral and love corals that are not orange-based.

I recommend Clinique Pop Glaze Sheer Lip Colour + Primer in Melon Drop Pop: 

melon

I also recommend Becca's "Flowerchild" powder blush. It's a peachy pink and just gorgeous. A little goes a long way:

flowerchild

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny - In all of my playing around with this, I was always under the impression pink coral looks better on cool-toned people, and peach-toned coral looks better on warm-toned people. I'm warm, and coral is one of my favorite colors to wear in spring and summer! I also wear coral lip colors and blush colors all year round. 

You just might be warm toned. My simple test when people ask me is do you look better in white or off white/cream. If you look good in stark white or soft white next to your face, you're probably cool. If you look better in cream or off white, you're probably warm. If you're warm and you hold bright white up to your face, your skin may look ashy or greyish in color. If cream gives your skin a candlelight glow, you're probably warm. Smiley Happy

Spoiler
Spoiler
 Sorry, I hit the wrong button and don't know how to delete the spoiler tag!
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Quinny - In all of my playing around with this, I was always under the impression pink coral looks better on cool-toned people, and peach-toned coral looks better on warm-toned people. I'm warm, and coral is one of my favorite colors to wear in spring and summer! I also wear coral lip colors and blush colors all year round. 

You just might be warm toned. My simple test when people ask me is do you look better in white or off white/cream. If you look good in stark white or soft white next to your face, you're probably cool. If you look better in cream or off white, you're probably warm. If you're warm and you hold bright white up to your face, your skin may look ashy or greyish in color. If cream gives your skin a candlelight glow, you're probably warm. Smiley Happy

Spoiler
Spoiler
 Sorry, I hit the wrong button and don't know how to delete the spoiler tag!

@beach-mom, I think that is a decent test for skin tone, as long as we keep in mind that it is a spectrum and not just two opposite poles.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny

They are getting you typed wrong. You know what colors you look good in! I love this stuff. Here is my "playtime" on my makeup app:

I put this hat on with the app. It is coral --- I am VERY cool-toned.

Left has a very blue Plum lipstick. I put orange on the left pic--- which turns out to be  blue-coral over the Plum.

The one on the left is wrong for me --- the hat color.

Watermelon has always been a great color for me. Hard to find, it walks the line between cool and warm.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~