Contributor

Re: Control spending and shopping stash

When I say I have a problem, I think it's more of a rationalization for spending that isn't really sound.  I know I don't need all that I buy and I know that stocking up with good deals doesn't always make sense.  I just enjoy buying makeup/skincare and am always on the look out for the next best thing.  I enjoy playing with new products but I really don't get that different of results wih new things.  In some cases yes, but most of the time I look pretty similar no matter what I use.  

I did see this past week or two the difference it makes when I don't use acne type products.  It frustrates me that at 46 I still have breakouts.  I cleanse my face well and try and use products that won't aggravate my acne, but I still have breakouts pretty regularly.  So the last few days I've been sticking to my acne.org products which have bee helping and this is like my 4th day using Bare Minerals.  So far so good. 

One additional thing I did this week too was cancel my hair appointment to get my hair colored.  I've colored it myself alot over the years using Loreal preference and excellence products and it always turns out pretty nice.  I get those on sale and buy root touch up in between.  A few months ago I started going back to the salon to get highliites/lowlites to get more dimensions.  Sometimes after coloring it on my own a few times my hair gets too blonde.  The salon costs about $120 with tip and I go every 6-8 weeks.  Again, I convinced myself "I'm worth it"  and it's is very relaxing to be at salon.  But when it's done, I don't absolutely love the results.  It looks good but I've had success with just doing it on my own too.    My roots were really bad this week and I had a root touch up in my stash.  I did that a few days ago and it looked great.  So I cancelled my salon appt. 

I will keep working towards my goal of using my stash and try to hold off on buying things as long as I can. 

Contributor

So I was sure I wanted to recommit to bare minerals last week and after about 3 or 4 days wasn't loving it as much. I still like it and will use from time to time but I'm really glad I didn't cave and buy new items.

The combination I've been using lately is Cover Girl Outlast 3 in 1 foundation which Laura geller balance and brighten and bronze and brighten over top. I've done this a lot in the last few months and it seems to be my go to routine . So I'm going to stay in my no buy as long as I can to use up stash and keep experimenting with different things I have. It's kind of fun doing the mad scientist thing.
Contributor

So it's been a few weeks and I've done prett well.  I did have to buy some small things for our vacation but only some cheap toiletry items.  No makeup or skin care at all.   I was packing for our trip (my son plays travel baseball and we are leaving for 10 days for 2 tournaments) and going through my makeup stash to decide what to bring was interesting.  I think when you go on a trip and don't have access to a treasure chest full of your products, you kind of see what you really like and gravitate towards. 

I brought my latest staple, Cover Girl outlast 3 and1 and Laura Geller B&B and my staple lip products which are the Revlon Color stay crayon balms.  I use two colors (honey & rendevous) together almost everyday.  It gives me a great coral shade and it lasts very well. 

I also packed my IT CC cream SPF 50 and the SPF 50 powder and the tight line waterproof mascara, which I love.    I figured being outside at games all day in the heat, that would be a good idea.  I'm also bringing the IT Vitality disk.  I love that it has a blush, bronzer and highlighter together and the higlighter can work as an eyeshadow in a pinch. 

So I think I figured out I do really like a lot of the IT cosmetics stuff.

I hope to not get tempted while on my trip to pick up things.  Still shooting for a no buy till 10/1/15.  Crossing my fingers Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Hi sherrilz,  

Soundls like you're doing wonderfully!  So glad you didn't cave on the Bare Minerals, and that the trip is helping you figure out what you really love.  

I also color my own hair.  I use Ion from Sally's.  Much cheaper than drug store brands, and it works better at covering my gray.  That said, I only do the crown area.  Don't know how I'll do when I need to color my whole head!  Then again, I'll figure it out!

I have great confidence that you'll make your goal, and then have more resolve to just say no going forward.  

Enjoy your travels!

Esteemed Contributor

Sherrilz, it's great that you are hanging in there.  I to have been trying to curb rushing to have the latest greatest in my makeup case.  I have some goals which include a complete relocation move... not just changing residences locally.  One planning to move should be thinking about is having less stuff around-- not more, so paring down buying more than I need in cosmetics and a lot of new clothes is where I started.  It's not easy because the retail temptations are strong.

Honored Contributor

Just food for thought here .....

If spending money gives you "satisfaction", why not replace the buying makeup with making donations to worthy causes?  (if you can afford it)

Example .....

Month 1, donate to Save The Whales,   Month 2 to disaster victims .....  well, you get the idea.  Even a monthly $25 donation can mean a lot .... again, IF you can afford it.

Take the time you'd spend shopping to look into various charities and causes that are praying for help.

Valued Contributor

Auto Delivery was so hard for me to cancel.  I cannot tell you how much sleep I lost over trying to hit the cancel button on my AD's.  That was, however, when I feel I actually committed to using the products in my stash.  That has been over 2 years ago, and I really have not used up very much product.  It has been such an eye opening experience to see that I did not need a new shipment of anything in 90 days or whenever my AD's would be coming.  I still have so much stuff, but I bought it because it was such a good deal, so I will use what I can.  For me, I see no reason to throw out these stash items and just feel I need to replace it.  I am looking forward to the day when I actually need to purchase something.  The Compact thread has been such a help to me in my journey.  Onward!  Good luck.  It didn't come in one day, it isn't going out in one day.  Enjoy what you have, just be mindful when purchasing.

Honored Contributor

I always think of it this way -- if you are starting to have negative thoughts and these thoughts are troubling you and buying and stashing is bringing you more anxiety than happiness, then there is a problem.  

Buying should either be because you really need something or really want something.  Or also if you use something all the time and you come across a great sale on an item you use, then it is fine to make sure you have an extra.

But when it becomes burdensome to store the stash, have to explain the stash, or even if coming up with the money for the stash, or trying to hide bills from an SO because of it, then there is a real problem.  

I found myself awhile back becoming extremely anxious about buying.  It was no longer fun but made me feel anxious and guiltiy.  More like the buying was conrolling me - not me controlling it.  I was never in a jam financially over it, because I got my mind wrapped around it and realized what I was doing.  

I still tend to turn to shopping when I am stressed, unhappy, anxious, etc.  One has to be mindful all the time.  When you go shopping, go with a clear head and be mindful of what you are doing, what you are shopping for.  Also -- the wait and see approach is extremely helpful.

Look at the item --- then think do I really need it, want it, love it.  Then, leave the store and think on it a day or 2.  If the need is really there, then purchase it.  9 times out 10 I do not go back for the item.  

It takes constant vigilance but eventually it becomes easier to control mindless spending and the urge to stash.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Several years ago I gave myself the only New Year's resolution that I've been able to keep.  If I buy any new clothing, I have to donate the same number of pieces.  Three new items from the Q in the mail?  Three pieces out to Goodwill. They don't even have to be of the same "caliber," either. For example: new skirt? Turn a sleep tshirt into a rag, and toss out a rag.  Although my weakness has been clothes as opposed to makeup and skincare, the same practice would work.  This has helped me manage my very limited closet space AND my budget.  It is all too easy these days to order things - the press of a button, a few clicks...boom! In a few days a handsome delivery man brings me a present. We have to help each other!!

Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

I brought my latest staple, Cover Girl outlast 3 and1 and Laura Geller B&B and my staple lip products which are the Revlon Color stay crayon balms.  I use two colors (honey & rendevous) together almost everyday.  It gives me a great coral shade and it lasts very well. 

sherrilz:   I tried your Revlon Honey....I LOVE IT!  I have a fair complexion w/ cool tones...and it's the perfect pinkish color.  Thank you for your recommendation.

Love reading your thread!  We can all learn to control spending & rid ourselves of the things that don't work, yes!  Smiley Happy