Honored Contributor

Re: Control spending and shopping stash

@Sherrilz wrote:

I am just trying to modify my spending habits.  My husband and I make good money and I pay off my credit cards every month, and I have significant savings.  So I can afford to buy what I do. That being said, it's more about me realizing I can't possibly use all I buy.

Always looking for the next best product is my downfall.  I'm enticed by new products and colors.  And then when I do find a product I really like I buy multiples in case I can't find it later.    My husband jokes my makeup/skincare/purses are my hobbies.  He doesn't have an issue with it.  I recently went through my stash looking for something and realized how much I have accumulated and how much money that did add up to. 

So I am just looking for a little encourangement.  I would love to find a twitter feed or something that sends daily mantras to remind me how silly buying all of this stuff is.   

I organzied my stash this weekend and decided to start an empties list to see if that will help me. 

I think it helps to make an official statment to friends, and this forum about a committment to control spending. 

Sherritz, for some, it is about the money because their compulsive buying puts their finances at risk.

But honestly,  whether you can affordyour habit is irrelevant if it is a habit that causes you any anxiety or grief at all. Compulsive or impulsive shopping knows no income bracket. It can afflict anyone.

You're thinking and asking about it, so I'm sure that when you can exert more control, you'll feel better. You can still enjoy skincare and makeup.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Sherrilz - Hugs to you. I think you and I are in the same boat.  I absolutely love cosmetics and skin care and have waaaaay too much (you should see my Wen stash alone!).  When I look at my vanity drawers and bathroom shelves filled with products, I feel like a glutton!  I think short term goals are good because it's satisfaction to hit a goal.  We can encourage each other!  July 4th is still a few weeks away so that sounds good!

Respected Contributor

I need help also. I just had a serious financial loss. I did take inventory of my stash. Bath products are my big thing. I ordered the one Bath item that I wanted; I've always loved it and I have all the items that go with it. I'm amazed I used so much up.

Linea LTS's are my big problem. Fortunately there are not many. I have chronic illness's, a pain problem and I think online shopping became my first addiction at age fifty two. I did well for almost eight years and this Xmas could not believe the deals and spent too much money. I returned quite a bit of the stuff.

I now have what might be a lifetime supply of LE heavy cotton nightgowns. Actually I have a lifetime supply if I count all my nightgowns. I wear them often when I'm home during the day because they are presentable. I'm over sleepwear.

I also have enough winter coats to last forever. I'm over them.

I am getting rid of all my emails that are dangerous. Actually that hasn't been a problem.

I'd like to buy the two items I've been hankering after (decided against a third item) and see if I can go until Sept.

I bought alot of summer cotton at the end of last year so that's done. I no longer go to the Vermont Country Store or Land's End. The Q is my temptation.

I just started seeing a therapist and we are discussing why I do this. I need to spend less time online because even though I'm reading newspaper's, etc. if I'm online there's always a temptation.

I need help!

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely wonderful topic. I think many people, including me, can benefit from this type of discussion. Temptations to spend are all around us. It is part of the American culture and hard to resist. I have so much stuff! I would say you wouldn't believe it, but you likely would. Is this a permanent thread? How can I access this in the future? I can only add one tiny thing I have heard to this discussion: Buy for the life you lead, not the life you want. For me, it this was sobering.
Contributor

I would like to make this a permanent topic.  I'm not sure how to do that.  I think I try to check in once a day and post my progess. 

Contributor

So while looking for some skincare my daughter uses and needed this morning, (She likes the Garnier gel moisturizer)  I came accross a lot of free gift with purchase samples from Clinique and Este Lauder.  I mean a lot!  Cliniques moisture surge is very similar to the product she likes.  Then it reminded me that I had a bunch stored in a box in the basement too.  I pulled some things out and found a ton of stuff.  I was able to find 5 sample moisture surges (that size bottle is great for travel and to refill)  and 3 eye makeup remover samples (she likes the neutrogena kind).  So I asked her to use these up before we replaced anything she needed. 

I also had a number of little mascaras,  eye, lip and cheek products.  Again I can't possibly use all of it in a lifetime.  So I started a small bag from that selection to try and use up as well. 

This kind of made me reaffirm that I needed to stop buying stuff.  I went in today to all of my QVC auto delivery plans and either cancelled, skipped shipments or delayed orders till after 10/1/15.  That is my new committment date.  To see if I can hold off until then.  I should cancel them all together but it's hard, since some were special pricing and sizes.  So I'm thinking baby steps, delay, cancel and skip everything until 10/1.  Then maybe I'll get the nerve to cancel all together. 

Thanks for listening to me.  When I tell my husband or daughter that I need to stop purchasing it's funny because they say things like, " you work hard and make good money, you deserve to treat yourself"  So I start to think my buying is no big deal.  What I need to hear is you can't possibly use all of that?  It's great to have a supportive family, but I need a kick in the pants.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

So while looking for some skincare my daughter uses and needed this morning, (She likes the Garnier gel moisturizer)  I came accross a lot of free gift with purchase samples from Clinique and Este Lauder.  I mean a lot!  Cliniques moisture surge is very similar to the product she likes.  Then it reminded me that I had a bunch stored in a box in the basement too.  I pulled some things out and found a ton of stuff.  I was able to find 5 sample moisture surges (that size bottle is great for travel and to refill)  and 3 eye makeup remover samples (she likes the neutrogena kind).  So I asked her to use these up before we replaced anything she needed. 

I also had a number of little mascaras,  eye, lip and cheek products.  Again I can't possibly use all of it in a lifetime.  So I started a small bag from that selection to try and use up as well. 

This kind of made me reaffirm that I needed to stop buying stuff.  I went in today to all of my QVC auto delivery plans and either cancelled, skipped shipments or delayed orders till after 10/1/15.  That is my new committment date.  To see if I can hold off until then.  I should cancel them all together but it's hard, since some were special pricing and sizes.  So I'm thinking baby steps, delay, cancel and skip everything until 10/1.  Then maybe I'll get the nerve to cancel all together. 

Thanks for listening to me.  When I tell my husband or daughter that I need to stop purchasing it's funny because they say things like, " you work hard and make good money, you deserve to treat yourself"  So I start to think my buying is no big deal.  What I need to hear is you can't possibly use all of that?  It's great to have a supportive family, but I need a kick in the pants.Smiley Happy

A kick in the pants

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Great picture Smiley Happy  Thanks I needed that.

Respected Contributor

It took me a while to find this forum again. I miss being able to click on my activity.

I ordered ONE LTS that I had been following for months. I made my peace with that.

If I order any more they have to be Linea because I know the fit. Got an Isaac that had arms placed too high.

Skipped the Linea LTS today. Easy.

Got the huge Vitabath bath gel with my drugstore.com order. Should last a year (I'm not kidding!) That's it for bath gels. Using some old ones with no fragrance left to wash my bras.

The game begins now!

Respected Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

I went in today to all of my QVC auto delivery plans and either cancelled, skipped shipments or delayed orders till after 10/1/15.  That is my new committment date.  To see if I can hold off until then.  I should cancel them all together but it's hard, since some were special pricing and sizes.  So I'm thinking baby steps, delay, cancel and skip everything until 10/1.  Then maybe I'll get the nerve to cancel all together. 

Sounds like you're off to a great start!  I don't do a lot of auto deliveries, but when I do, I always go in and push the next shipment date as far off as possible.  Then, I usually cancel it at some future date.  Either I don't need it again so soon (or at all), or I find another good deal.  I don't want too much excess inventory, and really don't want to spend the money.  It's actually a relief when I cancel ADs, and I've never had any regrets about it.  Never even missed the items!

Go hug your family for being so wonderful and supportive .... you are very lucky .... and then come back here, and we'll give you the kick in the pants, and also get you through the withdrawal!